Rail (750Wh) 2022 Bosch Smart 750 Trek Rail Thread

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Testing many ebikes is a truly wonderful thing. It allows direct comparisons and understand the nuances between them. I’m also aware that not everyone has access to ride a lot of bikes, so I’m really lucky that because of what I do it allows me this fortunate position.

I’m not tied down to any brand, or sponsored by a bike company, no contracts or ties, I’m not required to ride a specific bike. My bike this season that I bought from an independent bike shop is this 2022 Trek Rail 9.8 XT.

Why?

A combination of things: Some people say you shouldn’t buy an ebike because of a specific motor. But I’ve grown to really like the Bosch, the way it delivers power, and the outright grunt. Sure, there are things that suck, like that new remote control, the bulkiness of the screen. But they are lower down on the priority list to me. A motor really changes the characteristics of how a bike behaves and climbs, so I narrowed it down to the Bosch.

I also wanted a full 29er. Loads of bikes are going mullet, but I’ve decided that full 29er is for me. I’m certain I’m faster on 29er, although mullet brings some benefits, they’re not enough to make me want one over a 29er.

The Rail rides great. Its not a nimble warrior like some lighter ebikes, it’s brawler, can smash its way though stuff. And that matches my riding style! Geometry is great. Long, slack, low BB. Oh, I sized down for this year to a L. They are bigger, a lot bigger than last years!

Also its easy to over stroke the shock to give more travel, and paired with a 170mm fork (either air shaft upgrade the 160mm or a new 170mm). This gives 170F 163R, 63.5 HA and that will really help when I take it to the Alps this summer. Longer travel ebikes just work so well. Hardly any downsides for me.

There are so many amazing ebikes out there. As long as you’re buying something from a reputable brand, you’re going to get an amazing machine, capable of so much. Pick what works for you and what you ride and you’ll be ripping it up having an amazing 2022 on an ebike!

Can’t wait to get this one charged, set up and go out. Weathers looking good outside. And my new bike needs some battle scars on it already!!

DSC01374.jpg

DSC01375.jpg

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

DSC01376.jpg

DSC01369.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
That Rail looks banging! The Bosch is my favourite motor too, I just wish they'd allow third party battery development so someone can build a LW Bosch-motored bike.
Bosch are really set in their ways it seems. Totally closed systems, no 3rd party anything, not even remotes. I don't think it'll change either sadly.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Length on the dropper? 170mm+?
Are you considering any upgrades?
Nice shop btw.
Came with a 150, spec sheet says 170, I added on a bikeyoke revive 213mm and it’s at max insertion.

Going on: I have a Fox Factory 170 and Ohlins Coil, DT Swiss carbon wheelset, maxxis DHR and Shorty / Assegai up front. Stock tyres a bit pants.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Cool looking bike. That screen though, I used to have my Wahoo mounted on top tube. It just went flying whenever I crashed 🙃 But no place is safe from me, just broke the mount on my stem mounted Garmin.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Did you raise and or lengthen the stem since you went down a size? (…for your geometry).
Im curious because a friend is considering this model (larger battery) and is in between a M and L. He’s on the mullet train too.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Did you raise and or lengthen the stem since you went down a size? (…for your geometry).
Im curious because a friend is considering this model (larger battery) and is in between a M and L. He’s on the mullet train too.
I’m keeping the stock (think it’s 45mm). I’ve got a 35mm riser bar to try out too.

leix_toffee

Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
This would be the bike I would like to upgrade to maybe next year. I wonder will they filter the changes down to the lower spec Rail's by then, will be interesting to see. I am interested in your comment on sizing down, will definitely NOT just go buy an L then if these are fitting longer.

devargos

Jan 17, 2022
Jersey
Cool looking bike. That screen though, I used to have my Wahoo mounted on top tube. It just went flying whenever I crashed 🙃 But no place is safe from me, just broke the mount on my stem mounted Garmin.

I love the new bosch system but first thing I did on my new bike was get rid of that kiox 300 screen. Its a shame the controller isn't more minimalist too imo. I do like having the app to connect to and I would rather look at the screen on my phone after a ride than a screen on my bike while I ride.

Stunning bike Rob :love:

That's what's great about your reviews and thoughts the fact they aren't sponsored and your just a real bloke trying out a ton of bikes. Thanks.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I must be the only person who likes the detachable Kiox screen I think! My mates have the Spesh integrated screen. They race on about it, but ask them anything when they are riding they have to stop! I’m happy for no integration but would appreciate a smaller, Bluetooth controller.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
This fucking shiny, what do you use, unicorn tears?

• Haha
Reactions: Zed

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That's disappointing, almost as disappointing as you not anwering my question about the Zeb... :p

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
It’s what came with it and it’s not worth changing until it’s broke!
But you have changed the fork and rear shock already and they are not broke!
Alps riding that long rear cage is prone to rock strikes, also as you have upped your climbing capability since last year with more motor power 12 speed is not required, peace of mind and all that !

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
But you have changed the fork and rear shock already and they are not broke!
Alps riding that long rear cage is prone to rock strikes, also as you have upped your climbing capability since last year with more motor power 12 speed is not required, peace of mind and all that !
Going to 11 or 10 speed would require an entire new hub and wheel rebuild. Fork and shock are pretty different to standard equipment. I do agree 12 speed is not necessarily needed but there’s not much point changing an XT 12 Speed out the box. 👍

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
How dose it differ on the trail from the bike you did the ride report on? Are the characteristics improved with the suspension? I have the same suspension sitting on my shelf waiting for my new bike to come in. Supposed to ship next Tuesday (2/8/22)
Did you by chance ever ride an XL?

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
Cracking looking bike that. With those great upgrades that is about as good as it gets imo.
I don't agree on 12 speed not needed on ebikes tho, why not? I've used and needed it loads of times and been glad to have it. "Oh it might wear out a week or 2 earlier than a ten or eleven speed". So what, the higher end bikes come specked 12 speed, downgrading to a lesser speck won't be that cost effective. And to boot, the Alps is a place where a 51or 52 tooth rear cog is definitely needed. Just my 2 pennies worth. Ta for great reviews. Hope you enjoy your new ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles