Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo Comp motor removal to access shadow loop for dropper housing?

Raul Gee

Jan 14, 2023
Texas, USA
Greetings...So I have a somewhat common issue with dropper post housing. When I bought this bike new it came mostly assembled but I had to install the dropper post. Even though I loosened the clamps holding the cables under the shock, the dropper housing never moved freely and would get somewhat shredded around the shadow loop area.

Now I am installing a better remote lever and had to remove the dropper post. While I could reuse the same housing and just run a new cable, the restriction it has around the shadow loop and damage to the outer housing eats at me and I would prefer to run new housing.

I have watched The Specialized Ride Care video in another thread that is pretty good. However when i took the non drive side motor covering off I still can't get a good look at the shadow loop to see if the housing is even run correctly since it is getting chewed up. If I remove the motor will i be able to see the shadow loop and run new housing from the motor area or is it still inaccessible? How many more bolts do I need to take off to drop the motor out if so and what would need to be disconnected?

Thank you.

Levo.jpg

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Mine came with the dropper cable running directly from the sidearm to the dropper. Not via the shadow loop at all. TBH it worked just fine but I re-routed it without dropping the motor at all - I just followed the video. Not sure if that's actually helpful but hopefully reassuring that you dont need to do much.

Raul Gee

Jan 14, 2023
Texas, USA
I just looked at it again from underneath and can see that it seems to go around the shadow loop when I tug at the housing, but it definitely drags on something. I can barely see the loop with the motor in the way, for anyone that has taken their motor out, which bolts need to be removed and connectors disconnected? I got to believe the dropper housing is caught on something i can't see.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Have you had a new motor by any chance? My replacement got fitted without using the guides on it at all - basically cables and wires all connected up and the motor just shoved in afterwards. Shadow loop unused in other words. Everything worked well enough and it means that my next motor will be even easier to fit I suppose!

sp00n

Jul 11, 2021
Germany
The housing for the dropper post is a b**** to route, my housing is pretty beat up now but I've done it once (well, multiple times on that day...) and swore to not try again if not absolutely necessary. Maybe it would be easier if the bike is upside-down. Or so high above you that you aren't in such an uncomfortable position.

The shadow loop is actually fixed to the motor, here are schematics:

1673733823577.png
1673734253995.png

Raul Gee

Jan 14, 2023
Texas, USA
Many thanks for the replies gents. So removing the 6 bolts the motor ( w shadow loop) should slide out like the battery does? I may just do so to see what is the snag around the shadow loop that has beat up my housing.

carlito

Feb 14, 2019
BELGIUM
Did you manage to do it easily? I have the same problem. I call this bad engineering. What a nightmare to do proper maintenance ...

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Just returning with my own update. After my last replacement motor the dropper lever was noticeably tighter than before so i assumed they just trapped the cable again. So after removing the crank and motor side case, i tried to feed the outer back through but with no luck. After 10 minutes of poking about i realised it wasn't there at all. Once again it had been fed along the sidearm - when i took the seatpost out the outer was curled like a pigs tail and I'm amazed it worked at all. I've given up, cut it to the right size and left it in the sidearm. It works just as well TBH but the next motor replacement will be easier again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles