2021 Santa Cruz Bullit

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Another EP8 dead ☠️ goes into shop this weekend hopefully not too long of a wait🤞🏻

0D27BC3C-1A1E-404D-9273-CE95D9F7917D.jpeg

kikoborrico

Nov 22, 2021
Spain
E01020 Torque sensor failiure

1 week of waiting for me also, a couple of months ago. Little seemed to me for how things are with the supplies.

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Now that there is a new Heckler, does anyone know if SC is planning an update to the Bullit anytime soon?

Santa Cruz has a 3-year lifecycle for their models, so I would expect updated Bullit around November 2023. At this point we are half-way through, with new colorways probably coming out soon.

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
Santa Cruz has a 3-year lifecycle for their models, so I would expect updated Bullit around November 2023. At this point we are half-way through, with new colorways probably coming out soon.
too many manufacturing problems with the current line up to release a new bike.

Yoryino

Jun 28, 2022
Spain
I'm really not experiencing any problems with range with mine

I’m 85kilos and did 20 miles today with 3500ft of climbing and still had 28% battery left, I was riding with mostly levos and kenevos with 700wh battery and most of them had 1bar left and some on 2 bars left max. I'm getting better millage then my 700wh kenevo battery.

In still running 4.0.2 firmware (not sure that makes any difference)
Change front tyre to assegai evo max terra from the double down max grip.

Setting attached from st unlocker

View attachment 55055

View attachment 55056

View attachment 55057
Hello

This telemetry corresponds to the Santa Cruz Bullit?
I need the circumference data that appears in the first image, I need to know that data of the Santa Cruz Bullit.
I would be eternally grateful if someone could provide me with the wheel circumference data for Bullit that the EP8 has registered.

Shreddy

Sep 14, 2021
Surrey
Hello

This telemetry corresponds to the Santa Cruz Bullit?
I need the circumference data that appears in the first image, I need to know that data of the Santa Cruz Bullit.
I would be eternally grateful if someone could provide me with the wheel circumference data for Bullit that the EP8 has registered.

The Bullit default circumference data is as that picture, 2180mm

spikebike

Jul 16, 2022
Colorado
I saw the Shimano EP8 rev was announced, the EP801. Various improvements. Santa Cruz switched to the EP8 pretty quick after it was announced, I'm hoping they switch to the EP801 as quickly. Despite some digging I've not found if the EP801 is quieter on the downhills.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I saw the Shimano EP8 rev was announced, the EP801. Various improvements. Santa Cruz switched to the EP8 pretty quick after it was announced, I'm hoping they switch to the EP801 as quickly. Despite some digging I've not found if the EP801 is quieter on the downhills.
I’m also curious about EP801 and comments on Shimano site about “2nd generation” battery management (I assume 2nd gen was EP8 since 1st was E7000, 8000 series) makes me wonder if that part is just software update, since battery mgm’t would be electronic function, not mechanical.

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Quick question: How much you guys have stanchion tube visible on the Fox 38 170mm on Bullit? Please measure only the visible part when bike is resting. Just did a service on mine and wonder if I have a minor stuck down situation...

cdavies102

Jun 29, 2021
UK
Quick question: How much you guys have stanchion tube visible on the Fox 38 170mm on Bullit? Please measure only the visible part when bike is resting. Just did a service on mine and wonder if I have a minor stuck down situation...

This may sound silly but put your front brake on, one foot on top of your front wheel and pull up on the handlebars. Had this very same thing with my old Fox forks and that fixed it. Air gets trapped in the negative chamber and doesn't sort itself through normal riding.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
This may sound silly but put your front brake on, one foot on top of your front wheel and pull up on the handlebars. Had this very same thing with my old Fox forks and that fixed it. Air gets trapped in the negative chamber and doesn't sort itself through normal riding.
I assume if your fork model has the air release buttons on back of fork legs you’ve used them to equalize pressure?

Damian75

Aug 14, 2022
USA
My 2022 38s do, but this was on my old 36s on my bronson
Most of the time from my experience when forks experience suck down it's usually from too much grease or dirty grease in the air spring blocking the transfer port. Most Fox forks are over greased on the air spring from the factory.

rafyc

Aug 19, 2022
France
Hi there,
I'm planning to get a Santa Bullit but wondering about the size. I'm just between L and XL. I'm 186cm, 115kg / 6.1ft, 253lb rinding in high mountain and bikepark. What size have you choose ? I'm just at the end of L size and at the beginning of the XL. Most offers in my country are L size. Is it a mistake of i choose the L ?
Thanks for your help !

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
I had a similar decision buying my Heckler. At 6’4”, I’m between XL and XXL, according to SC. I went with XL but added a 65mm stem, which imo solves the dilemma nicely. Makes the cockpit/reach longer while keeping the shorter wheelbase. It feels very well balanced and I’m quite happy with this solution.

Happy trails!

rafyc

Aug 19, 2022
France
Thanks a lot, nice idea. So it's more a reach adjustment than a stack too short. Seat isn't too high and bike is comfy to ride on flat and climb ?

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
Right. Stack works fine for me on XL with a 15mm spacers. There is some aversion to longer stems on modern mtbs. I don’t subscribe to that. I think for the larger size frames a 65mm stem is proportional and doesn’t mess with the handling at all. Also, for me with my long torso and arms, it’s a better solution than lengthening out the wheelbase that comes with the longer reach.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Hi there,
I'm planning to get a Santa Bullit but wondering about the size. I'm just between L and XL. I'm 186cm, 115kg / 6.1ft, 253lb rinding in high mountain and bikepark. What size have you choose ? I'm just at the end of L size and at the beginning of the XL. Most offers in my country are L size. Is it a mistake of i choose the L ?
Thanks for your help !
I’m 6’2” with 36” sleeve, more suitable for a guy 6’5” (perhaps that’s why my wife calls me Neanderthal?!).
I ride an XL Santa Cruz Bullit, our trails here in SF Bay Area are steep, narrow and twisty making the XL best choice, I’m not a fan of fitting longer stems and losing some handling nimbleness while simultaneously putting more weight over the front in steep country.

rafyc

Aug 19, 2022
France
I’m 6’2” with 36” sleeve, more suitable for a guy 6’5” (perhaps that’s why my wife calls me Neanderthal?!).
I ride an XL Santa Cruz Bullit, our trails here in SF Bay Area are steep, narrow and twisty making the XL best choice, I’m not a fan of fitting longer stems and losing some handling nimbleness while simultaneously putting more weight over the front in steep country.
Thanks for the answer, i think i will measure my arms to check if i'm in the same tribe ;)
But i thought for narrow twisty and steep trails a small bike will be more suitable as the bike need to be more handy and light.

Other question, I can't see any rider weight limit on the specs. Any recommendation for this bike ?
Some said coil is better for heavy riders but other that the air is more progressive (tokens) to not stroke the end of the fork travel.

Last edited:

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Thanks for the answer, i think i will measure my arms to check if i'm in the same tribe ;)
But i thought for narrow twisty and steep trails a small bike will be more suitable as the bike need to be more handy and light.

Other question, I can't see any rider weight limit on the specs. Any recommendation for this bike ?
Some said coil is better for heavy riders but other that the air is more progressive (tokens) to not stroke the end of the fork travel.
As you say a smaller bike (shorter wheelbase) is more maneuverable, however, I fall dead-center on SC size chart for XL, since my arms are untypically long I can ride XXL too, (my son is 6’0” and rides the large).

On SC website there is section for each bike that has the suspension set-up guidelines by rider weight.
Rockshox rear shocks handle higher. air pressure than Fox, which is why their Super-Deluxe is on ebikes to accommodate more riders.
Look up your weight in set-up guide to see if air shock can handle you.
I have couple 230lb friends who sent their Super/Deluxe into Vorsprung Suspension in Canada for custom tune to their weight and riding style.

UVRail

Sep 13, 2020
London
Hi, I'm 6'1" and around 100kg and went for an L. As with you, I'm right on the cusp of an XL. To make the L work, I had to push the saddle right back on the rails, then had to add some rise by replacing the handlebars (pushing the saddle back seemed to increase pressure on my wrists). It's still borderline! I guess the shorter wheelbase and reduced weight are beneficial, but be I'd definitely try both L and XL (if you can find them)!

rafyc

Aug 19, 2022
France
Hey thanks for the advice. Not easy to try both. Already difficult to find stores that have them in stock here in France.
I've called 2 shops and both told me that i need XL for sure. Santa Bullit size are shorter than others (go up to XXL ).
I think a bigger one would be easier uphill
What do you think of the S vs XT ? there is only S in stock or should i wait for XT ?
The main differences are the brakes and shifter. Concerning the fork it's only the dampers who differs. I could upgrade later for a Grip2.

What do you think coil / vs air ?

Thanks !

UVRail

Sep 13, 2020
London
Hey thanks for the advice. Not easy to try both. Already difficult to find stores that have them in stock here in France.
I've called 2 shops and both told me that i need XL for sure. Santa Bullit size are shorter than others (go up to XXL ).
I think a bigger one would be easier uphill
What do you think of the S vs XT ? there is only S in stock or should i wait for XT ?
The main differences are the brakes and shifter. Concerning the fork it's only the dampers who differs. I could upgrade later for a Grip2.

What do you think coil / vs air ?

Thanks !
To be on the safe side, I would go XL if you can't try both. I slightly regret my choice of L, and think I am quite lucky to have made it work! Given the general lack of stock, I would go for the S and upgrade - you could be waiting for a long time otherwise. The internal cable routing on the Bullit is easy to work with, so changing the brakes shouldn't be too difficult. XT or XTR brakes will be much better than the Code Rs. However, the SRAM GX stuff is very good - it's what I had on my previous bike. The XT is only marginally better IMO, so you might be able to stick with the cassette/derailleur/shifter/chain and upgrade the fork in due course.

I went Air, as I tend to ride varied terrain and wanted the ability to easily tweak/adjust. The coil will probably be awesome though for consistent terrain and when it's nicely dialled in :)

rafyc

Aug 19, 2022
France
Thanks a lot ! i've found both size so i'll be able to try ;)
Great to hear for the easy upgrade !

They dont have the coil version so Ohlins ttx 22 looks amazing ! i'll go with the air and maybe will try the MegNeg kit before
Anyone ever used the Ohlins with the bullit ?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles