2021 RAIL 9.8 XT SPEED SENSOR WIRE SEVERED

Jaybee59

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2021
Reno
Well, I screwed up! I unbolted the motor without supporting it properly. It dropped from the frame and snapped the speed sensor (2-wire, black & red) from the amp plug. I've looked at the trouble it takes to buy the plug and re solder. My time is limited and would simply like to replace the entire harness. The Trek website has a Gen 4 harness but it isn't the same as the unit on the bike (see attached). I have composited various photos showing the damage and provided Trek's page showing what they have (attached)
I'll be calling the mothership tomorrow. Any and all advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
JB Castle Rock, CO

BOSCH CONNECTOR NOINFO COMP.jpg

TREK SPEED SENSOR W582244.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
So, my son-in-law is not the only one. He fumbled the motor with the speed sensor wire attached also. Broke the connection plug also. Then he proceeded to snap the clip on the power plug and another connector. He was in Palm Spring last week so he was able to order/pickup the necessary wiring harnesses in a few days. I have a feeling that I’ll be doing the install …that’s okay.
Anyways, I’ve only installed one speed sensor when I cracked the triangle a few years ago. I don’t remember it being much of a problem (really I can’t remember 🥴). Whenever I’ve dropped a Bosch gen4 I usually flip the bike …I find this easier but that’s just me. I’m sure someone else here has more experience then I do with motor drops. I’ve only done 8-9 but I’ll probably be up to10 this week. Oh…and check the motor bracket bolts for torque, you never know if one is loose until it’s too late. This just happened to my neighbor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles