2022 Rail 9.8 XT tires???

DeeP

Mar 24, 2022
USA
I am very torn which direction to go. Schwalbe Super Downhill Big Betty and a Super Gravity Magic Mary front in 2.4, or DHF Exo+ and DHR Exo+ in 2.6. I know both are killer options. I am leaning to the 2.6 I think...tho I have ALWAYS run 2.4s and like them a lot. Thoughts??

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
I went 2.6 Magic Marry trail in front and 2.6 Big Betty Trail w/ Cush Core in the rear. Works well
Had 2.5 Assegai DD max grip front and 2.4 DHR II max grip rear. Tried with/without Cush Core. Excellent on the drops, but horrible rolling resistance. Felt like the brakes were on or I was towing a parachute.

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
I assume Maxxis DHF or DHRs in 29 x 2.6 fit in the rear triangle with a bit of space to spare? I'm shortly about to pull the trigger and my methodology on tyres over the past 2 decades has been: One you go Maxxis you never go baxxis.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I went 2.6 Magic Marry trail in front and 2.6 Big Betty Trail w/ Cush Core in the rear. Works well
Had 2.5 Assegai DD max grip front and 2.4 DHR II max grip rear. Tried with/without Cush Core. Excellent on the drops, but horrible rolling resistance. Felt like the brakes were on or I was towing a parachute.
Seriously? You could actually feel difference in rolling resistance even with a 2.4 on the back of an emtb? You sir are a highly tuned test pilot. There would be a job for you on Loam ranger

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
... almost thought my bike was broken or my brakes were dragging
I usually attribute that to the 10 extra kilos I've put on since having kids and my riding dropped to near zero. I reckon a motor under my balls will render such things as heavy tyres non-existent. At least, that's what it feels like on test rides so far.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Looked at Maxxis Assegai front and DHR rear but decided to go Bontrager SE6 front and SE5 rear. Both 2.5" and both roll nicely given their grip. Don't seem to have any vague grip areas, very predictable. Made by the same company who make Maxxis.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Looked at Maxxis Assegai front and DHR rear but decided to go Bontrager SE6 front and SE5 rear. Both 2.5" and both roll nicely given their grip. Don't seem to have any vague grip areas, very predictable. Made by the same company who make Maxxis.

Those are the factory tyres on a 9.8XT are they not?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
That would be a very economical choice. They're just about given away on the local fb for sale page, usually in a bundle with the Code brake sets.
My first reaction was that you've prob gone from the best tyre setup I've tried to the worst however that is for the tracks I ride, I could see on long flowy dry tracks where traction isn't as important they would certainly be fast rolling.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
That would be a very economical choice. They're just about given away on the local fb for sale page, usually in a bundle with the Code brake sets.
My first reaction was that you've prob gone from the best tyre setup I've tried to the worst however that is for the tracks I ride, I could see on long flowy dry tracks where traction isn't as important they would certainly be fast rolling.

There's nothing like a good old fashioned brand snobbery putdown, eh Stumpy? ;)

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
There's nothing like a good old fashioned brand snobbery putdown, eh Stumpy? ;)
😁 I'm not really a brand snob (there are no brand labels to be seen on my bike), but Yes gotta be honest I'm not taken with Bonty stuff (& never ridden with Codes so can't really comment on them) but there is an element of truth in my jibe- the maxxis that come up for sale on FB are usually pretty worn & the bontys are always brand new. Almost everyday there is a new or nearly new set of codes. I find it a bit amusing more than anything, especially one comment on a set of bontys for sale that said something to the tune of " nothing unites people more than the hatred of bontrager tyres"
I'm loving the Assegai up front - I'd be truly amazed if there is a better front. We don't really have the range of tyres easily accessible over here than I think you guys do in the UK so Maxxis is the usual default.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
😁 I'm not really a brand snob (there are no brand labels to be seen on my bike), but Yes gotta be honest I'm not taken with Bonty stuff (& never ridden with Codes so can't really comment on them) but there is an element of truth in my jibe- the maxxis that come up for sale on FB are usually pretty worn & the bontys are always brand new. Almost everyday there is a new or nearly new set of codes. I find it a bit amusing more than anything, especially one comment on a set of bontys for sale that said something to the tune of " nothing unites people more than the hatred of bontrager tyres"

The one I always liked is "friends don't let friends ride codes" :ROFLMAO:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Maxxis Assegai front and DHR rear
that's my winter tyre selection :). I'm kind of enjoying dhf front and rear through the drier months.

I have formed a theory peculiar to maxxis tyres - maybe to other tyres too. I had a rear dhr in maxterra compound - I got 2,500km out of that. It still has some tread. I don't slide around corners or brake traction on purpose - I rarely lost traction with that tyre.

I thought I'd try a new dhf in dual compound (harder than maxterra). I seem to be sliding a lot more. Of course I can modify my riding and skill, but the dhf in dual compound always catches me out. That tyre is wearing very quickly. The previous dhf in maxterra did not do this - in fact I didn't feel much difference with that and the dhr (better rolling on the dhf, better mud clearing on the dhr).

My theoretical takeaway from this is that maxterra is more economical than dual compound for me. It lasts longer because I lose traction much less.

Last edited:

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
I'm loving the Assegai up front - I'd be truly amazed if there is a better front.

Noted. This tyre wasn't around last time I had to buy some.

I'm kind of enjoying dhf front and rear through the drier months.

This was my go-to setup all year round. I don't ride in mud or extreme wet - our local trails don't really respond well.

Think I might explore Assegai up front (prob 3C) and DHF rear - 2.6 for both. Back in the day I used to run a DH casing in the rear to compensate for my extra mass (100+ kg), but it was a wire bead and weighed like 2kg. Is there a good folding solution for heavy folk wanting to run as low a pressure as possible these days? I see lots of jargon for each tyre on the Maxxis site, with some descriptions, but nothing that says "Use this if you used to run DH casings".

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
that's my winter tyre selection :). I'm kind of enjoying dhf front and rear through the drier months.

I have formed a theory peculiar to maxxis tyres - maybe to other tyres too. I had a rear dhr in maxterra compound - I got 2,500km out of that. It still has some tread. I don't slide around corners or brake traction on purpose - I rarely lost traction with that tyre.

I thought I'd try a new dhf in dual compound (harder than maxterra). I seem to be sliding a lot more. Of course I can modify my riding and skill, but the dhf in dual compound always catches me out. That tyre is wearing very quickly. The previous dhf in maxterra did not do this - in fact I didn't feel much difference with that and the dhr (better rolling on the dhf, better mud clearing on the dhr).

My theoretical takeaway from this is that maxterra is more economical than dual compound for me. It lasts longer because I lose traction much less.
Interesting, I didn't know the dual compound was harder than max terra. It must be bloody hard then. I just took off a max terra DHR after 300+ kms & looks hardly worn. I'd like to say I rarely lose traction with my rear tyre but all the Ben cathro videos still haven't helped me.

I couldn't go back to a DHF after riding my Assegai, I find them great for the local tracks however we don't get a lot of mud so I could see why a more spaced out pattern would be desirable over them. Def love maxx grip up front & maxterra out the back

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Noted. This tyre wasn't around last time I had to buy some.

This was my go-to setup all year round. I don't ride in mud or extreme wet - our local trails don't really respond well.

Think I might explore Assegai up front (prob 3C) and DHF rear - 2.6 for both. Back in the day I used to run a DH casing in the rear to compensate for my extra mass (100+ kg), but it was a wire bead and weighed like 2kg. Is there a good folding solution for heavy folk wanting to run as low a pressure as possible these days? I see lots of jargon for each tyre on the Maxxis site, with some descriptions, but nothing that says "Use this if you used to run DH casings".
I was running cushcore on the back with exo+ but since mulleting am just running a DD, not sure if I'll put a cushcore in as they are really supportive. I'd try one of those if I was you. I usually run 19-20 on front & 18ish rear & I ride mostly tight techy style tracks with narrow cut off at just above ground level tree stumps & rocks that like to rip tyres & not many speed sections.

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
I'd try one of those if I was you.
I have been researching these in the background for the past hour or so. I've never run them, but this is/will be the first new MTB in over a decade, so there's going to be a lot of firsts. Chief of which will be the motor under my balls.

Currently watching a Chshcore vs Nukeproof ARD vs MegaNorriss YT vid

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles