2021 Husqvarna ebikes

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
My HC7 arrived on Sunday. I unboxed her, put her together...so far after one ride, it seems like a great choice. I need to upgrade the display to the 8000 so I can blue tooth a better custom motor set up though. The 3 stock motor programs are not good. Suspension is great. Overall, very pleased.

View attachment 71005

View attachment 71006
Anymore riding feedback about the bike? Ive been looking at the Giant Reign E+2 and wondering how the Husky 27.5 and 180mm travel rides. Thanks and sik bike!! I rode(in parking lot) the extreme cross 9, the suntour rux fork on the fat ebike frame kills turning radius compared to intense tazer mx I also ride.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Anymore riding feedback about the bike? Ive been looking at the Giant Reign E+2 and wondering how the Husky 27.5 and 180mm travel rides. Thanks and sik bike!! I rode(in parking lot) the extreme cross 9, the suntour rux fork on the fat ebike frame kills turning radius compared to intense tazer mx I also ride.

two friends that I ride with purchased HC7’s, both love them. But both hated the Sram G2 brakes and have switched them out. One put new 4-piston XT’s and the other went with Hope.

For one of them it’s their first eBike and the other has two, his second bike being a 2018 Kenevo. He prefers it over the Kenevo.
The HC7 is a great value and can be upgraded if you wanted better components, but the overall ride quality is good.

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
I currently ride a Giant Trance X29 3. 29 front and back, 150mm front 135mm rear and was wondering how it would compare with the 27s. Same drivetrain as the HC7, need to upgrade the sx derailer and shifter to gx though. Does the HC7 have 2 piston brakes?

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi

Well, here is my take. The Husky HC7 is a REALLY well built bike for the money. Great suspension imho, very comfortable to ride and I love a 180mm bike personally. Husky hands down makes the best looking emtb's on the planet in my opinion. I also have a 2020 Trek Rail 9.7 (carbon. Bosch gen4). I love the emtb mode on the Bosch and I like the Bosch motor much better than the EP8. My Husky HC7 is not bluetooth adjustable for the motor. This may be the reason I like the Bosch better than the EP8. The 3 stock settings for the EP are not good. I have to run the EP8 at wide open to even begin to feel like the similar power Bosch on emtb mode. If I run the Bosch wide open, or on turbo, I'll smoke into a tree. There is a massive difference between the EP8 and Gen4 Bosch. That being said, I just had the opportunity to buy a Husky HC9. This has the BT capability display unit to adjust the power settings on the EP8 motor. It also has full Fox suspension and not RS like the HC7. That bike won't be here until after the new year around the first week of January. I'll have to see what happens with being able to actually adjust the EP8 power settings. The HC9 is absolutely sick looking.

Overall I REALLY, REALLY like the HC7. You can really bomb higher speeds and the bike is absolutely planted. I can live with the EP8 no problem. I just like the Bosch better. In fact, I also bought a Niner WFO e9 from Jenson a week ago. It has the Bosch motor, 180mm RS suspension etc (same set up as the Husky HC7) I got that bike mainly because of the Bosch motor coupled with the 180mm suspension. That bike will be here this Tuesday the 28th. So...I'll keep you posted. Yeah, I know...I spend WAYYYY too much money on emtb's. But, since my last episode racing MX a few years ago, I feel lucky to even be able to walk, let alone ride something. I have left MX behind. I fell in love with these emtb's from the very first pedal stroke when I got my Trek Rail in 2020.

Last edited:

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Well, here is my take. The Husky HC7 is a REALLY well built bike for the money. Great suspension imho, very comfortable to ride and I love a 180mm bike personally. Husky hands down makes the best looking emtb's on the planet in my opinion. I also have a 2020 Trek Rail 9.7 (carbon. Bosch gen4). I love the emtb mode on the Bosch and I like the Bosch motor much better than the EP8. My Husky HC7 is not bluetooth adjustable for the motor. This may be the reason I like the Bosch better than the EP8. The 3 stock settings for the EP are not good. I have to run the EP8 at wide open to even begin to feel like the similar power Bosch on emtb mode. If I run the Bosch wide open, or on turbo, I'll smoke into a tree. There is a massive difference between the EP8 and Gen4 Bosch. That being said, I just had the opportunity to buy a Husky HC9. This has the BT capability display unit to adjust the power settings on the EP8 motor. It also has full Fox suspension and not RS like the HC7. That bike won't be here until after the new year around the first week of January. I'll have to see what happens with being able to actually adjust the EP8 power settings. The HC9 is absolutely sick looking.
Look at the Shimano EW-EN100. It costs about $100 and will provide Bluetooth connectivity to the EP8.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Look at the Shimano EW-EN100. It costs about $100 and will provide Bluetooth connectivity to the EP8.
Good find, I didn't know you could use the EW-EN100 with the EP8. I end up get a coupler and cable plugged into the EP8 and used my display SC7000 off of my old Wire Peak eMTB. I just found the Shimano EW-WU111 unit, which could be a smaller and cheaper ($80) option for BT connectivity.

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Good find, I didn't know you could use the EW-EN100 with the EP8. I end up get a coupler and cable plugged into the EP8 and used my display SC7000 off of my old Wire Peak eMTB. I just found the Shimano EW-WU111 unit, which could be a smaller and cheaper ($80) option for BT connectivity.
I'm not sure, but I think the EW-WU111 is only for Di2 and not EP8.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

Overall I REALLY, REALLY like the HC7. You can really bomb higher speeds and the bike is absolutely planted. I can live with the EP8 no problem. I just like the Bosch better. In fact, I also bought a Nine WFO e9 from Jenson a week ago. It has the Bosch motor, 180mm RS suspension etc (same set up as the Husky HC7) I got that bike mainly because of the Bosch motor coupled with the 180mm suspension. That bike will be here this Tuesday the 28th. So...I'll keep you posted. Yeah, I know...I spend WAYYYY too much money on emtb's. But, since my last episode racing MX a few years ago, I feel lucky to even be able to walk, let alone ride something. I have left MX behind. I fell in love with these emtb's from the very first pedal stroke when I got my Trek Rail in 2020.

I setup a few HC9's for customers that bought them, if I could make one suggestion it would be to sell the XT Di2 shifter, derailleur and go to a traditional cable setup. The older gen shifter doesn't play nice with the new XT brake lever, you either have to run the shifter really close to the grip and the brake lever farther away or the brake lever in a nice position and it pushes the shifter to far away from the grip.

I still don't know why Husky put that setup on the HC9, I'm sure the XT Di2 setup would have had to cost more than the regular newer gen XT setup.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Yeah, you told me that before and it is great advice. I may end up doing that. One great thing I noticed about emtb's though, and one of the reasons I really dig them, is I really don't have to shift that much. I ride single track woods and thankfully, dancing on the shifter just isn't necessary. So, we'll see what happens. I am looking forward to the whole wireless shifting deal. No real benefit, just kind of that cool factor to me.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Yeah, you told me that before and it is great advice. I may end up doing that. One great thing I noticed about emtb's though, and one of the reasons I really dig them, is I really don't have to shift that much. I ride single track woods and thankfully, dancing on the shifter just isn't necessary. So, we'll see what happens. I am looking forward to the whole wireless shifting deal. No real benefit, just kind of that cool factor to me.

I have wireless Sram on my bike, it's not so much the shifting that's the issue just the shitty bar layout it creates. I look forward to Shimano's new wireless MTB drivetrain when it finally gets released.

The HC9 is an amazing value in my opinion though, and it looks great.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
husqvarna hc9-2.jpeg

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
I did one test ride with the stock RS shock and fork, the SR DuroLux fork and Tri-Air shock I installed was a big improvement.
Go from a 205mm x 60mm to 205mm x 65mm doesn't change the GEO, just allowed me to have a little more sag 30%.
The stock shock work fine for trail riding, but once it starts getting chunky the stock shock gets overwhelmed.
Any update on the new shock? Did the 205x65mm bring the rear travel to 160mm? Any parts contacting with new shock? Was thinking of zeb 170mm or 180mm and would like to increase rear travel as well. Might be an alternative to the reign e+2 i have on order but wont arrive til march. Thanks

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
How is the mc5/mc7 stabilty with the shorter wheelbase(1158mm) size L compare to others like the hc7/9 (1260mm) or reign e+ (1265mm)?

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I'm not sure, but I think the EW-WU111 is only for Di2 and not EP8.
Any update on the new shock? Did the 205x65mm bring the rear travel to 160mm? Any parts contacting with new shock? Was thinking of zeb 170mm or 180mm and would like to increase rear travel as well. Might be an alternative to the reign e+2 i have on order but wont arrive til march. Thanks

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
No issue with running the TriAir 205x65 with 160mm and 170mm Durolux fork with 27.5+ tires, rides great. I have tried using a 29x2.6 wheel up front, which made the MC-5 a little fast on the straight line rocky stuff, but not as quick thru the corners, so I will be going back to the 27.5x2.8 up front. The different in height between the 27.5x2.8 and 29x2.6 is like 20mm more with the 29 wheel, I have remove 10mm head space to keep the handlebar height at about 1066mm or 42", The 27x2.8 front wheel I feel I can get on top of it and push it harder thru the corners. If I was going to put a new RS Zeb fork on the MC-5, I get the RS Zeb 160mm 29er or the RS Zeb 170mm 27.5, it's all about the type of riding you do and how you ride. Most of the riding I do in my area is All-Mountain type of riding, I am not always charging hard maybe like 70% of the time;)

Reactions: MO1

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
The new DVO Topaz should arrive tomorrow! I paid the extra $100 for the custom tune, so I have high hopes for it.

I'm also looking for a 150mm dropper since the stock 120mm isn't nearly enough.

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
How is the short 1158mm wheelbase size large on the mountain cross models? Does it get outta shape on downhill?

Wintyfresh

Dec 14, 2021
Ramona, CA
How is the short 1158mm wheelbase size large on the mountain cross models? Does it get outta shape on downhill?

With the caveat that it really depends on what you're used to (trail vs AM vs enduro vs DH) I haven't found it to get out of sorts on downhill.

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
Thanks, just enduro style downhill with some moderate steepness, rocks, drops. The wheelbase on paper(1158mm) just seems really short and was wondering how it affected stability

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
Pulled the trigger on a MC7!! Shipping from moto shop Illinois to me in Utah. Local bike shop update on my Giant reign E+ pushed out from march to april👿. Give this MC7 a run and maybe cancel my reign E+.

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Pulled the trigger on a MC7!! Shipping from moto shop Illinois to me in Utah. Local bike shop update on my Giant reign E+ pushed out from march to april👿. Give this MC7 a run and maybe cancel my reign E+.
I noticed the wheelbase looked short as well, but it doesn't really feel short to me. Maybe I should measure it to see if the spec sheet is actually correct.

Wintyfresh

Dec 14, 2021
Ramona, CA
What is everyones experience with range and charging times? Thanks again!!

I can't really speak to charging times (I just leave mine on a charger overnight after everything is cool), but range is fairly exceptional. The display estimates 107 miles in eco, 53 in trail, and 35 in boost. I've never put much of a dent in my battery; I'm out of energy long before it is.

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
What is everyones experience with range and charging times? Thanks again!!
That's a hard question to answer since it depends on your weight, tires, tire pressure, terrain, and amount of assist used. My recommendation is take it out on some trails you're familiar with and get a feel for how each mode will drain the battery. But I can tell you the battery is pretty large and does quite well, which means I pretty much ride on max assist all the time.

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
I can't really speak to charging times (I just leave mine on a charger overnight after everything is cool), but range is fairly exceptional. The display estimates 107 miles in eco, 53 in trail, and 35 in boost. I've never put much of a dent in my battery; I'm out of energy long before it is.
Be careful leaving it to charge overnight. It's best to leave the battery between 40-80% when not in use, then charge it up right before use. It's also best to remove the charger once it's done, and only leave it on for longer once in a while to let it balance the cells. If you aren't already, it's also best to store the battery inside where the temperature is controlled.

Wintyfresh

Dec 14, 2021
Ramona, CA
Be careful leaving it to charge overnight. It's best to leave the battery between 40-80% when not in use, then charge it up right before use. It's also best to remove the charger once it's done, and only leave it on for longer once in a while to let it balance the cells. If you aren't already, it's also best to store the battery inside where the temperature is controlled.

Convenience counts for a lot. If the bike can't be left on a charger overnight or in the garage I consider that a pretty big failing, but so far neither seems to have negatively impacted it. I believe Husqvarna's manual even says leaving it charged/on the charger does no damage.

Edit: It probably matters a lot more if you live somewhere with severe weather; I'm grateful to be in Southern California.

Last edited:

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Convenience counts for a lot. If the bike can't be left on a charger overnight or in the garage I consider that a pretty big failing, but so far neither seems to have negatively impacted it. I believe Husqvarna's manual even says leaving it charged/on the charger does no damage.

Edit: It probably matters a lot more if you live somewhere with severe weather; I'm grateful to be in Southern California.

In SoCal you could leave the battery anywhere and it'll be fine.

But it really isn't good for lithium batteries to leave them at full charge for long. You won't see any issues anyone soon, but it accelerates their capacity loss and increases the chances of a cell going bad.

MO1

Dec 16, 2021
USA
If you want more rear travel you can easily fit a 205x65mm stroke shock on the MC5 & 7 bikes. I put a DHX2 205x65 on my friend's MC7, we also put a 170mm air shaft in his fork. So basically we turned his MC7 from a 150/150 to a 170mm front and roughly 160-165mm rear travel bike. He loves it.
Does the Fox Factory 36 ebike fork use the same air shaft as the regular factory 36?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles