2021 e sommet head set bearings

Part timer

Mar 6, 2021
The valley
The block thingy for the steering limited won’t let you get the bearing out sadly. New cup assembly needed but available direct from acros website.

Hopefully the top one is ok- that requires all the cables/hoses disconnected to replace…

Hateful thing

Part timer

Mar 6, 2021
The valley
I paid for mine, should have gone for the warranty, but to be fair I put the bike away wet after EWS and didn’t touch it until a couple of weeks ago. Top and bottom both seized solid and replaced

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I paid for mine, should have gone for the warranty, but to be fair I put the bike away wet after EWS and didn’t touch it until a couple of weeks ago. Top and bottom both seized solid and replaced
How long since?
Crc know this is an issue, they admitted it.
I'd give them a shout and ask for a refund.

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire

That is terrible! Are the head bearing not greased?
I have checked my wheel spindles and they are greased, not checked anything else yet...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They're sealed bearings. Of course they're greased.

But the STUPID internally routed design makes them even more prone to moisture and contamination

Part timer

Mar 6, 2021
The valley
Probably in through the cable routing holes, its then got nowhere to escape and just sits there. There wasn't any obvious grease around the bearing cartridges, there is now though.

The bike did take a good amount of wet riding this year, and was left too long after the EWS which really didn't help matters (was busy riding real bikes and getting the rear wheel rebuilt).

Haven't decided whether to silicone the openings or just regularly clean and keep on top on the maintenance.

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
I have checked mine, and can see where it gets in, not sure silicon is going to stay in place to stop the wet getting in. However, for me being a fine-weather-rider I doubt much will get in, and I will keep the jet washer well away from the bars.

This issue would benefit from a new improved rubber gromet. Anyone know if they intend to provide one?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
When you say CRC admitted this, where and is it accessible to all?
Screenshot_20220106-132533_Gmail.jpg

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I had no bother getting warranty on these.
Have you got the new battery cover aswell?
There's more info on Faceshite vitus forum.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I've only just bought the bike, so hope it will come with the new cover! Just in case though, what's the difference?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
New one has a top hat on top bolt which gives a bit o movement and on the inside there's a code, it should end with a +

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
I have a replacement cover: not really a big improvement imho. You can achieve the "movement" (as thebarber added) on the old cover by filing/drilling the bottom holes a little larger.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Normally the only source of mud and water into the headset is via the gap between the fork crown and headtube bottom race. That is easilly controlled by squeezing grease into that gap occasionally. The completely stupid and uneccessary new fad for feeding cables through the stem spacers does introduce a much greater opportunity for water ingress which given the constant movement of the bars/cables I doubt silicone would stop. A couple of ideas that may work better include firstly putting a small zip tie ( or similar) on each cable just before entering the headset to act as a drip sill to stop water tracking along the cable; and second, make a neoprene "collar" with a velcro fastener to wrap around the stem spacers.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
New one has a top hat on top bolt which gives a bit o movement and on the inside there's a code, it should end with a +
Just checked the battery and still letting in.
I think the top hat is too long , not allowing the cover to sit tight enough to the frame.
I've cut a rubber screen mount off motorbike down which should allow it to nip up and seal it better.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
received my replacement bearing the other day - foc. Not fitted them, but interestingly they came with two new plastic cable-guides-seals, these "should" hopefully stop water ingress.
Was that due to bearing wear, or sent by CRC (in the same vein as the battery door)? I haven't even opened the new headset I got yet, but now I want to to see if I have these plastic deelees too!

Last edited:

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
if you ask wiggle/crc nicely, as I did, and point out its a known issue, they should send you the kit. I just said mine is now feeling the effects of this issue, starting to notch, please send me a replacement and I will fit them (easy job for me, I am was a Motorcycle mechanic).

BTW I had my bike from Wiggle, they have been great so far, very pleased with them.
(I am aware crc are just another name for the same company)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles