2020 Turbo Levo Comp Motor noise (ticking)

Mojo_n_SB

Apr 16, 2020
Santa Barbara
Hi all, I have a 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp, XL. I purchased this bike after reading and listening to many reviewers promoting the Brose motor as a superior motor and that the motor noise as being extremely quiet. I also test rode multiple EMTB's. I definitely wanted a quiet motor so I purchased the Levo. I recently started hearing my "quiet" motor making a subtle ticking sound. After a couple short rides, the noise is getting louder. Its definitely coming from the motor and is louder in the climbing sprocket. The noise gets quieter as the chain moves down the sprocket.... The noise is very apparent with motor powered on, or powered off.
My friend bought the same bike, the same day and his bike started making the same ticking sound and now his bikes motor stopped functioning....
Is my motor a "ticking" time bomb? Seriously, has anyone else had this issue with a 2020 Levo motor? I thought all known motor issues were resolved in 2018/2019 models?
Thank you

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Is the ticking in time with pedal rotation, or wheel rotation? Do you hear it with the bike on a stand, motor off?

Mojo_n_SB

Apr 16, 2020
Santa Barbara
Is the ticking in time with pedal rotation, or wheel rotation? Do you hear it with the bike on a stand, motor off?

Good questions:
Yes, the ticking is with pedal rotation only.
(No pedal with wheels rotating only = no noise)
Yes, ticking sound is consistent when pedaling with motor on or off.
I have not tried it with the bike on a stand, I will try tonight.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
With motor on and off, it can't be the motor? I had something similar which was, I'm pretty sure, a bit of grit behind the crank arm. Cranks off, clean everything with a dry cloth and reassemble, no lube, seemed to sort it.

Mojo_n_SB

Apr 16, 2020
Santa Barbara
With motor on and off, it can't be the motor? I had something similar which was, I'm pretty sure, a bit of grit behind the crank arm. Cranks off, clean everything with a dry cloth and reassemble, no lube, seemed to sort it.

Thank you for the response. I will do that this weekend in quarantine and post my findings. Be safe!

Mojo_n_SB

Apr 16, 2020
Santa Barbara
Here's a video of my '19 making a clicking sound ONLY when the motor is on.
About 2 weeks after this video was shot, the belt failed.
Knocking/Clicking noise from the motor - EMTB Forums

Yes, the sound coming from my motor area is very similar to the sound in your video. I pulled the chain guide way out of the way and the sound is still there. The difference for my bike is the sound is coming from my motor "area" with motor powered off/motor powered on with assist off and motor powered on with assist (and all 3 levels of assist). The ticking sound started as almost hard to hear, then gradually has become very audible. Thank you for the link......I wanted to go do a backcountry ride this weekend but am afraid of the motor going out...

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
Today my new 2020 Levo I got 2 weeks ago and has 350 miles on it started the same but lighter ticking now as well during steep ascents.
I just dropped my 2019 Levo at my lbs yesterday to have it repaired (motor replaced due to stripped belt) .
I hope my 2020 levo lives long enough to get my 2019 back.
It's SO sad that I have to have a "spare" bike to be able to ride 150 miles a week. This is sorta crazy.
What could I be doing wrong @Specialized Rider Care ?

Mojo_n_SB

Apr 16, 2020
Santa Barbara
Today my new 2020 Levo I got 2 weeks ago and has 350 miles on it started the same but lighter ticking now as well during steep ascents.
I just dropped my 2019 Levo at my lbs yesterday to have it repaired (motor replaced due to stripped belt) .
I hope my 2020 levo lives long enough to get my 2019 back.
It's SO sad that I have to have a "spare" bike to be able to ride 150 miles a week. This is sorta crazy.
What could I be doing wrong @Specialized Rider Care ?

They replaced the motor due to a belt, terrible! Still waiting to hear what the shop says about mine. Is this a Brose motor issue? Can we do backcountry rides with confidence?

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
They will replace the motor.
For a backcountry ride, I would do it. Just keep in mind it might be a motor-less ride home if there is a failure.

Mojo_n_SB

Apr 16, 2020
Santa Barbara
They will replace the motor.
For a backcountry ride, I would do it. Just keep in mind it might be a motor-less ride home if there is a failure.

Turns out the chain is hitting the chain guide, I pulled the guide up out of the way and the ticking stopped. Not sure how or what changed from purchase 2 months ago until now, but its hitting. I disassembled the guide assembly and removed material in an effort to move the guide away from the chain while in hill climbing sprocket and reassembled, but it still hits.
Thanks for the good advise all, much appreciated. Good rides!

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
It's easy to shift the chain guide when checking the torque of the engine mounting bolt. I now put an Allan key in the chain guide bolt and a long screwdriver between that and the tool I use to check the engine mount bolt - a bit of force stops the guide shifting.

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
Turns out the chain is hitting the chain guide, I pulled the guide up out of the way and the ticking stopped. Not sure how or what changed from purchase 2 months ago until now, but its hitting. I disassembled the guide assembly and removed material in an effort to move the guide away from the chain while in hill climbing sprocket and reassembled, but it still hits.
Thanks for the good advise all, much appreciated. Good rides!
The sound on both of my bike is directly related to the motor, if the motor is on, it ticks, off it does not.

Tricati01

Sep 30, 2019
Christchurch, NZ
Check your rear shock pressure - Had similar problem with my wife's Levo, as she is very light, the shock pressure was low and due to suspension sage during riding the chain touched the guide mount plate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles