2020 Specialized levo/kenevo rumors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
No I think you are partially right, the kenevo has traditionally been announced in July. Probably to coincide with dh season

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The kenevo was announced in late August early September when it was launched

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
No I think you are partially right, the kenevo has traditionally been announced in July. Probably to coincide with dh season
I would have said to coincide with le tour de france, too. The teaser seems to show some road evidence.

Chieftain

Jun 23, 2019
plymouth
I got my Comp Carbon 3 weeks ago and happy, small discount 11% and rides great.
hi I'm looking to buy a spech but could not get discount. I was looking to interest free finance it, if you don't mind me asking how did you buy yours and who did you get it from.

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
Keep calling different shops, there is always wiggle room on the profit margin, some shops have a hard line based on what they need to stay afloat. Basically the best deal is going to be to walk in with cash to different shops and ask for 10% off. That being said I’d support your local shop if you can. It will save you hassle in the long run and having your local shop shut down sucks. You could shop around for a deal and then come back to them and say “look shop x was going to give me the bike for y, I really want to support you guys, is there anything you can do, even if you can’t get all the way there?”

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
hi I'm looking to buy a spech but could not get discount. I was looking to interest free finance it, if you don't mind me asking how did you buy yours and who did you get it from.

if you can't negotiate a reduced price you might be able to negotiate upgrades (parts etc) instead.

£100 discount to you costs the shop £100 off their bottom line, right where it hurts.

but a £100 spare part to you might cost the shop only £50.

good to support your local shop if they provide good service. running a bike shop is not a route to riches.

Mike192

Jul 7, 2019
Braintree, Essex
I was looking around and just Googled it and Rutland Cycles come up and at the time was offering this model with 11% off, just checked and it’s now only 4%. But as others are saying there should be wiggle room but not sure for finance, just keep looking and sure a deal will come up.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I’ve just spent the afternoon riding the 2019 Levo expert (not sure about the naked carbon on the green one). The guys stated that a new Kenevo is due and it looks ace, just an in house screen shot. Very different to the 2019. There isn’t anything coming out soon on the Levo range (so they say) they offered me the Levo expert for £6300 is that a reasonable price. Or is it a sign of new things coming.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I’ve just spent the afternoon riding the 2019 Levo expert (not sure about the naked carbon on the green one). The guys stated that a new Kenevo is due and it looks ace, just an in house screen shot. Very different to the 2019. There isn’t anything coming out soon on the Levo range (so they say) they offered me the Levo expert for £6300 is that a reasonable price. Or is it a sign of new things coming.

It's a grand off. I'd be pretty tempted at £6k.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Specialized HQ.
Accountant 'well we are having a good year'
L.Ron Specialized 'can we make more money? '
Accountant 'how? More reliable bikes? '
L.Ron Specialized 'higher prices, so we replace a few bits costs fuck all in the scheme of things '
Accountant 'well there are a few complaints about prices '
L.Ron Specialized 'you said that last year and I put up the price, sold more than ever
Accountant 'yes but '
L.Ron Specialized 'FFS I spent a shit load of years building this cult and a few people are unhappy? A cult is not a fucking democracy as long as the fuckers buy it what is the problem? '
Accountant 'yes but the forums? '
L.Ron Specialized 'did you ever hear the Mexicans say, everyone loves our coke maybe we should lower the price so it's available to the masses. No. '
Accountant 'but '
L.Ron Specialized 'get the fuck out of here and make sure you have that motor shit sorted next time '

*Not the actual conversation.

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK

Also, on top of what others have said, it's good to note that if you go into a shop and are planning to buy using their 0% interest finance over X months option, you are a lot less likely to get the best deal. The reason for this is that those finance options are run for the bike shop by companies like V12 etc.. These companies make their money out of the interest. Except when doing the 0%, here they charge the bike shop a % of the purchase price instead in order to do the financing.

When you buy on 0% finance from a bike shop you are less likely to get discount anywhere near as good as you would if you were paying for the bike in one go. The fee the shop has to pay the finance company already eats into the profit margins for the bike. This is why most shops won't offer 0% finance on bikes that are already on sale... Or give much of a discount if you want to do 0% finance. Once they've taken the finance companies fee out they are left with a lot less wiggle room to give anything off and still make money.

If you have the credit rating and means to be able to do it, personally I think the best value way to pick up a new bike and spread the cost is to get a 0% purchase credit card. This takes the cost of doing the 0% finance away from the bike shop, which they can then pass on in the form of a discount. Sainsburys, Virgin money and Barclays all do cards with 26/27 months of 0% interest on purchases. Once I finally decide on what bike I want to buy, I plan to get myself a card, negotiating the best price I can with a store. They'll know that they will be getting paid in full up front with no risks to them so getting a better discount should hopefully be easy.

From looking around, 15% seems quite a common sales discount that can be found from a lot of places. Either online or in store when asked for it. I'll use the Kenevo as an example, it's £5500 rrp, but can be found all over the web with 15% off at £4675. You'll find plenty of reports of people on this forum getting it for that price too.

Buy The New Specialized 2018 Turbo Kenevo Expert 6fattie Electric Mountain Bike Gloss Black - Freeborn Bikes

Freeborn is a great example. Even if the bike you want isn't on sale, they do a part exchange scheme that can get you 15% off the bike you do want (only 10% on 2019 Levos though). The bike you trade in doesn't matter so can be a £10 kids bike from Facebook marketplace if you want too. The bikes traded in get given to charities. Plenty of retailers do a similar trade in deal, so my complete guess is that the stores involved are part of some government scheme or are able to get the money back as tax write offs.

Well, I rambled and this has turned into a fairly long post, but hopefully some of it might be useful to you or others.
Sorry to anyone who got bored reading it ?

Adam.

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK

Going on what I just replied above, £6300 is around one of the better prices I'd imagine that you'd be able to get a 2019 Levo Expert. It's close to 15% off the RRP so not many places are likely to beat it by too much.
£7250 x 0.85 = £6162.50 Wouldn't be surprised if you did find it somewhere at around that price though.

15% seems to be around the standard cap of how much discount most places are happy to offer it would seem. There are of course exceptions to this rule though and I'd highly suggest contacting Chris at Berkshire cycles for a price if you're seriously interested. I don't want to speak for him and guarantee that he's going to give you a much better price, but if the prices he offered me Kenevos at back in January are anything to go by there is a chance he could do better than what you've been offered. Not to mention the value of the customer service they'd give too, as others will testify about on this forum.

If you're wondering about whether or not you could easily get an even better offer than £6300 after Tuesday if a new model Levo gets announced, I'm afraid that I don't think that will be the case for a while unless you find someone desperate to shift their old stock.
It'll likely just be on sale everywhere with 15% off at around the £6175 mark. This has been the case with the 2018 models

Buy the Specialized Men's Turbo Levo Fsr Comp Carbon 6fattie/29 Electric Mountain Bike 2018 Gloss Satin Carbon / Chameleon with free shipping - Freeborn Bikes

Still only 15% off at £4250. If new Levos do get announced, I'd expect some nice further price drops to clear the 2018 bikes though.

janik3

Jul 12, 2019
EU
...Then he says: « Monday... perhaps Tuesday ». I said « why? » and he replied to me it would be dumb to buy now à Levo cause some interesting thing are coming...

I think he meaned this: Brose now (2020) has a complete selection of Drive Systems, offering its own 630 Wh battery with seven different motors and three different displays.

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
...Then he says: « Monday... perhaps Tuesday ». I said « why? » and he replied to me it would be dumb to buy now à Levo cause some interesting thing are coming...

I think he meaned this: Brose now (2020) has a complete selection of Drive Systems, offering its own 630 Wh battery with seven different motors and three different displays.
..."so here is is our own motor"...

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I'm not expecting more price cuts on the '19 Levo - I think the '20 changes will be incremental and probably with a price hike. It's the premium product in its market. And the '20 won't be available for a while, if you want one this summer it's a '19.

But as @Adam said, there's a little room if you're not paying by credit. Dealers still want your money and if you leave the shop without buying they're aware you may not come back. Retail is not doing well in the UK at the moment.

Freeborn are advertising the Carbon Comp at £5099, which is 15% off. Most shops will price match if they can. They don't hold shop stock (I think), they're all delivered from a warehouse on demand, so you're buying the same bike wherever it comes from.

I'd also put some value in having a good local dealer who (hopefully) has your back. Tempting as the YT Decoy is, I'm not going near it.

Last edited:

Chieftain

Jun 23, 2019
plymouth
Hi all
Thanks for the advice. I would like the expert due to it having the bigger battery, if I could get 10% off id feel better about buying such an expensive bike. The decoy looks like a good bike for the Money but for the amount of money you pay you want good back up service and to just ride it. As a lad I used to buy/sell and refurbish bikes so physically fixing it would not be a problem, apart from the added cost of the parts on top of paying for the bike. Most people think your crazy when you say the price your going to pay. I've just bought my kids good bikes so I'm just trying to justify spending car money on a bike. Plus my kids have just found the real reason for having a back brake:giggle:.

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
Chieftain I am in a similar position. I have a order with YT for a Decoy but am keeping an eye on deals for a Levo. Even with 15% off I feel the YT is still a much better deal. I could care less about a LBS. Unless the Kenevo gets a major update, I would have a hard time buying one unless its a substantial discount.

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
I have had so many bad experiences with LBS over the years: Inexperienced service people, hard sell tactics, etc. I it is hard count an LBS source as a positive.

A different approach: i have developed a relationship with an independent local mechanic. He is an expert and more than reasonable in his fees. I buy everything online (including my Yeti acoustic bikes, for instance) and have him work on any issues and upgrades. Financially I am way ahead of the game and quality of service is top notch.

If they key feature for paying thousands more on a Levo is LBS, IMO that is an objectively poor decision.

I bought my Levo from one of the best rated LBS in Colorado. They could not do basic fork and shock setup properly, they accidentally disposed of my Bluetooth system code, they were useless In getting the cockpit and saddle setup, etc etc.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
@Jpzeroday same here, LBS experiences were poor enough that I taught myself to build my own bikes instead. now an independent mechanic recently came to town, he's very good, charges plenty of money, and has more work than he can handle.

I still think with the Spesh e-b I'd want a dealer relationship, the motor battery and electronics are expensive opaque parts that are not user serviceable.

Reactions: Dax

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
Chieftain I am in a similar position. I have a order with YT for a Decoy but am keeping an eye on deals for a Levo. Even with 15% off I feel the YT is still a much better deal. I could care less about a LBS. Unless the Kenevo gets a major update, I would have a hard time buying one unless its a substantial discount.
I’m in the same boat, decoy due September, I’m getting frustrated waiting hence looking for a killer deal. Problem is they ain’t killer and the Decoy is epic for the same money.

Reactions: 06z

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
@Jpzeroday same here, LBS experiences were poor enough...

I'd want a dealer relationship, the motor battery and electronics are expensive opaque parts that are not user serviceable.

IMO, this is even more a reason to go with something like a YT Decoy. All Shimano eMTB parts are readily accessible through many outlets. My mechanic has done full Shimano rebuilds, including motor swaps. If you are out of warranty, a new Shimano motor can be had for about $850 USD. Not cheap, but doable. Is a Spesh Brose motor freely available from multiple sources?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
IMO, this is even more a reason to go with something like a YT Decoy. All Shimano eMTB parts are readily accessible through many outlets.

Isn't the battery and writing YT specific? So if there's an issue with either, it has to go back to Germany.

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
I’m in the same boat, decoy due September, I’m getting frustrated waiting hence looking for a killer deal. Problem is they ain’t killer and the Decoy is epic for the same money.
There are great deals on older bikes but the Decoy blows them out of the water. Just waiting for the possible new Kenevo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles