Status
Not open for further replies.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The problem I see with the range extender is it will only supplement the main battery therefore will discharge at the same rate so when the extender is depleted the main battery will be depleted as well. Adding a fresh range extender with a fully charged voltage of around 42 vdc to a depleted battery of say 33vdc means that only the range extender will be supplying current to the motor which at only180whrs (5000mah @ 36vdc nominal) would mean a current rate of 7a would be required to produce the 250w of the motor. Efffeciency would go down quite a lot as well as life expectancy. Current 2170 battery cells are able to discharge at rates up to 10 amps but it is at a cost of useable capacity and charge cycles. It would be much better to use a higher capacity extender battery if you require more range than the 360+180 configuration can provide.
It's supposed to be a 48V system, isn't it? It seems they are using 3400mAh 18650 cells, 26 of them (13s2p). The Samsung 35E cells are 10,5A. I guess they chose 3400mAh over 3500/3600 to get the higher discharge current. So at 48V the current draw will be 5,2A to get 250W. At 42V it's 6A.

That said, I agree, there could be disadvantages to using these small extenders. It would be interesting to see the difference in range using the 3400mAh-10A-35mOhm cells compared to say the LG HG2 3000mAh-20A-20mOhm. Using the 3000mAh cells you get 140Wh, compared to 160Wh. But the higher current and lower internal resistance might more than make up for it...

Last edited:

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
It's supposed to be a 48V system, isn't it? It seems they are using 3400mAh 18650 cells, 26 of them (13s2p). The Samsung 35E cells are 10,5A. I guess they chose 3400mAh over 3500/3600 to get the higher discharge current. So at 48V the current draw will be 5,2A to get 250W. At 42V it's 6A.

That said, I agree, there could be disadvantages to using these small extenders. It would be interesting to see the difference in range using the 3400mAh-10A-35mOhm cells compared to say the LG HG2 3000mAh-20A-20mOhm. Using the 3000mAh cells you get 140Wh, compared to 160Wh. But the higher current and lower internal resistance might more than make up for it...
I guess I should have read up on the Creo motor a little more. Thanks for setting me straight!

I like the move to 48v as the higher volts should be much more efficient. And I agree that the 20a cell could be an even better choice for a range extender due to the higher voltage under load. Would be interesting to compare ranges.

Last edited:

1 levo

Jul 7, 2018
Taupo New Zealand
Ok, another Rumors thread! Here are some facts: we all know this is coming, an ultra light emtb from specialized using the new motor seen in their 2020 creo road bike. I’ve known this was coming for years from people with relationships to specialized but it kept being pushed back, but it seems on the doorstep now. My biggest speculation questions are when will it be released, how big the battery will be, range and power? From people who have caught a glimpse it seems it is based on the levo frame which is a huge relief as I’d hate this to skew too xc just because it’s lighter. Seems 350wh internal battery and potentially removable supplemental battery. Any more info?
I have a feeling we will all know more tomorrow sometime.

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
Hmm, I thought I was going to drop some news but yeah sources say early next week, and I heard 9 pounds lighter but that might have been a round up from the 3.8kg just quoted which is like 8.3 lbs. But I heard something even more exciting but that’s for 2021... not exciting enough to pass on this though. I think spec will is really going to capture all the skeptics in the US market with this. (It’s still pretty annoying over here if you’ve ridden in Europe and seen what a non issue ebikes are).

Kenevo SL for september maybe?

lggc

Jul 23, 2019
Spain
[QUOTE = "snowbro, post: 137214, miembro: 469"] Ok, contribuiré con el trabajo de detective forense digital que hice.

Rob les ha estado ocultando algo ... Dijo que nos lo dijo a todos, se me olvidó cuando eso fue jajaja. Jk, contento de ver que su arduo trabajo valió la pena, ¡feliz de que intervenga con Spesh!

View attachment 25415 [/CITAR]
He said it, yes. I remember, in test creo sl

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
Hopefully with this new small motor, they can eventually upgrade the suspension like the new Enduro/SC bikes. From what I can tell, they should be able to, it pops up a little in the back innard part, but that looks like a design choice. They got room now. Could one day have a true Enduro ebike version instead of the current one with the old suspension tech.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Hopefully with this new small motor, they can eventually upgrade the suspension like the new Enduro/SC bikes. From what I can tell, they should be able to, it pops up a little in the back innard part, but that looks like a design choice. They got room now. Could one day have a true Enduro ebike version instead of the current one with the old suspension tech.
I think you could be right & interesting to compare.

Enduro: FOX FLOAT X2 Factory, 170mm travel, 205x60mm, 2-position adjustment, EVOL Air sleeve, Trunnion mount

Levo SL: FOX FLOAT DPS Performance, 150mm travel, 210x52.5mm, 3-position adjustment

Letter from Specialized at the shop today said that they are planning on dumping 500 million dollars in Development.
No es tan simple y agrega mucho peso extra
Creo que podrías tener razón :)

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
I think you could be right & interesting to compare.

Enduro: FOX FLOAT X2 Factory, 170mm travel, 205x60mm, 2-position adjustment, EVOL Air sleeve, Trunnion mount

Levo SL: FOX FLOAT DPS Performance, 150mm travel, 210x52.5mm, 3-position adjustment

Creo que podrías tener razón :)

I have an X2 on my current Levo, I hated the bike before I got that on there and tuned it lol. I think this new lightweight version will be good with a dpx2. The Spanish video Jcmonty just linked said the bike has a 320w battery with 160w extenders. Also that there is no longer a belt inside, so it is more efficient and better power delivery.

This light bike will be good for most riding, but I have a lot of trails around the Rockies, that no one can ride normal bikes up. Very steep, chunky and overgrown trails that don't get much traffic. I seriously can't see that new bike getting up it. I only ride my bike in 20% power on most trails, but I need 100% to ride this stuff and my 2018 levo couldn't make it up it. I think it will do what 95% of riders want though. I plan on buying one for my wife.

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
Here’s the Expert I rode
So cool! I bet Rob has been dying to tell us for months :ROFLMAO:.

I saw they have an aluminum one (prob comp), do we think it will be similarly priced to the regular levo comp?

Do you think these SL's can make it up really steep/rocky stuff? I would hate to get one & not be able to get on the mountains I live around lol. Do you think my current 19 levo still has a place for these extreme climbs?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
So cool! I bet Rob has been dying to tell us for months :ROFLMAO:.

I saw they have an aluminum one (prob comp), do we think it will be similarly priced to the regular levo comp?

Do you think these SL's can make it up really steep/rocky stuff? I would hate to get one & not be able to get on the mountains I live around lol. Do you think my current 19 levo still has a place for these extreme climbs?
Well If you can ride a regular bike up steep rocky stuff, you can ride this up steep rocky stuff.

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
Well If you can ride a regular bike up steep rocky stuff, you can ride this up steep rocky stuff.
I don't think it is possible for people to ride a regular bike up the trails I am talking about. So that would mean no for the Levo SL on these extreme trails? Barely possible on current Levo and I have never seen anyone on a regular bike make it up these trails haha.

You can't even really hike up this stuff it's so steep, unless you are holding onto trees. It's impossible to push or carry a bike up it. Basically been virgin territory until the Levo came around.

Last edited:

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
My less than 1 week old levo comp is still in the exchange window, I need more info about the SL to figure out if it's worth exchanging.

Last edited:

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Here’s the Expert I rode

That is one nice looking eMTB (although I'll take mine in black) :). Is it running 203mm rotors front and rear, or is the rear smaller (hard to tell from the picture)? My 2019 Levo is less than a year and a half old, but I'm really tempted by this (I usually keep my bikes for 5-6 years).

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
That is one nice looking eMTB (although I'll take mine in black) :). Is it running 203mm rotors front and rear, or is the rear smaller (hard to tell from the picture)? My 2019 Levo is less than a year and a half old, but I'm really tempted by this (I usually keep my bikes for 5-6 years).
I wouldn't keep these that long. Sell it with a year of warranty left (think 5 years for motor?). I know 9 people that also buy and sell Levo's, every season, half of them need a major repair. The motor is usually what needs to be replaced in these cases. The wiring can also fry some stuff randomly. We all get them for a discount, ride a year, then sell for about a $500 loss, it's not too bad of a deal when you think of depreciation/repairs if you had kept it. My friend got a brand new expert in fall 2019 and within a month had the motor die, he was lucky the shop had one on hand or it would have taken over a month to fix.

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA
We do? I wasn't able to negotiate a discount in my area, not on 2020 models.
We, as in my group of buddies, sorry. Usually about 2 grand off (USD) with the expert; we are good friends with the owner of a local shop. Everyone else in town still gets at least $700 off though, maybe shop around a little?

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
I don't think it is possible for people to ride a regular bike up the trails I am talking about. So that would mean no for the Levo SL on these extreme trails? Barely possible on current Levo and I have never seen anyone on a regular bike make it up these trails haha.

You can't even really hike up this stuff it's so steep, unless you are holding onto trees. It's impossible to push or carry a bike up it. Basically been virgin territory until the Levo came around.

This is going to put out half the power. I think if you’re looking for a bike to smash the rowdiest or climbs the SL is the wrong bike. The SL looks to be for the folks looking for the closest to non e-bike experience possible on the e side.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
We, as in my group of buddies, sorry. Usually about 2 grand off (USD) with the expert; we are good friends with the owner of a local shop. Everyone else in town still gets at least $700 off though, maybe shop around a little?

The turbo levo was is really high demand when I got mine so I only got around $500 off (didn't even cover the tax, LOL). But it's in really good condition so that may help resale value.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I know 9 people that also buy and sell Levo's, every season, half of them need a major repair. The motor is usually what needs to be replaced in these cases. The wiring can also fry some stuff randomly.
Very interesting! So of the 4 or 5 people who've barbecued their Gates belts or fried their wires, are they the ones more likely to put sustained demand and high load on their motors? i.e. they climb steeper weigh more pedal less or carry massive kits or whatever?

In theory, thermal rollback should prevent or at least reduce thermal issues with the belt although seems to be possibly be due to gradual expansion or breakdown from accumulated sustained heat exposure.

No belt in the SL. Could be pretty good for some of the trails around here although I think I should still try it before I buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles