Article 2020 SPECIALIZED KENEVO

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
I want to try the comp too.

Yeah the comp picked me up after the initial disappointment of seeing the expert with the odd-looking Boxxer Select (don’t know if I’m the only one thinking this but it looks far too thin for a dual crown) and I had all sorts of images of a custom build with a Fox 40 and DHX2 running through my head but the geo is really confusing me right now. Reads like a very numb ride with those chainstay and reach figures. I suppose a test ride is the only way to find out for sure though...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wonder if an adapter plate could be made?

Found the links and images from @Kiwi in Wales and @Peko . The Mag S layout looks completely different to the 1.3 :-( Looks like you're stuck with your 1.3 ...

mags.jpeg
brose13.jpeg

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
It’s always interesting, and sometimes depressing, when one’s bike is superseded by a newer model. If money were no object I don’t think I would be rushing out to replace by old Kenevo with the newer one. When I bought mine, the choice was between the Levo and the Kenevo and the latter won out because I was used to a YT Capra with 180mm of suspension and the 2018 Levo didn’t cut it with relatively limited suspension. Of course the 2019 Levo changed that with more suspension (maybe Specialized recognising there wasn’t enough) and perhaps had it been available I would have gone for it. It seems the new Kenevo has gone further down the big hit, fast stable route, which will distance it from the Levo but I wonder how big the market will be for it. After all, to really get the best of out if a bike like that, you’ve got to be pretty skilled or brave or both. A major trend in ebikes seems to make them be more playful, more like a normal bike, easy to move around and hop off the smallest jump. Trying to manual the new Kenevo is going to be pretty hard. Last weekend there was the biggest bike test in this part of Switzerland with just about every brand represented. What was noticeable was that nearly all the ebikes there were pretty similar - large downtube with internal battery and around 150/160mm travel. There was only one long travel bike (Haibike) that I saw. When asked at the Specialized stand why they did not have a Kenevo I was told that it was because there was not a 2020 Kenevo and that the 2020 model was the same as the 2019 one!
I sometimes regret not getting a 2019 Levo but a friend has one and I do find the noise of the motor irritating. We seem very evenly matched uphill but I reckon i have the edge downhill (which is what most tests find). I’m 5’8 with long legs and a short body and I would certainly not want a longer reach than my current medium Kenevo. I’ve done 1300 very enjoyable clicks in my Kenevo and I think it’s a fantastic ride so I for one am not going to get depressed about the new model - actually, I’m relieved!
BTW I sometimes ride my wife’s small women specific 2018 Levo and it’s very good. The suspension is so supple that one only notices lack of travel on jumps and really rocky terrain, plus it’s really quiet. As for range, on a long day I’ll borrow my wife’s battery and put it in my backpack- that gives me 1000w!

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Now that the Geo is known you can really see the purpose of this bike, this isn't for going for a leisurely trail ride with your misses sort of bike. Winch your way to the top of the gnarliest descent you know then point it downhill!

Re: the reach, I am not too surprised. I ride a stumpy evo in S3 29 inch wheels, with 475mm reach.... it's a BIG bike and sometimes can feel a little too big and long. I would probably go for a S3 size if I was purchasing the new kenevo at my 186cm height. (6'1) It's cool they have gone to S5, but I feel smaller riders will think even S2 is too big.

That chainstay is also on the edge of too long, at 440 my evo is rather difficult to manual with such a big front centre, however straight line fast descending is incredible.

64deg head angle is spot on, any slacker and weighting the front in flatter turns can result in a lack of grip. However once pointed at something steep this HA will come alive. Good compromise there I think.

What get's me is the price, I was VERY interested to get one of these, however spec vs price I cannot justify that much. I will stick with my Mulleted Merida E160 900E for another year.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Found the links and images from @Kiwi in Wales and @Peko . The Mag S layout looks completely different to the 1.3 :-( Looks like you're stuck with your 1.3 ...

View attachment 19440 View attachment 19441
I know a guy who would be up to the challenge to make an adaptor to make this work. He’s always making one off components and work arounds for bikes on his cnc milling machines. It’s what his business does.
Unfortunately I do not have the dollars to throw at him to do this. ?‍♂️
Check out some of the one off stuff he machines on his Facebook page. HighGearRacing

Last edited:

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
So does anyone notice how the shock attaches to the yoke ?
Could open up immediate shock changes to those who wish.

Specialized did away with the proprietry shock mounts in 2019, should be your typical eyelet.

it's 230 x 62.5 which isn't exactly a common stroke, knowing specialized a 65mm stroke will work without tyre contact and you could in theory be nearing 190mm rear travel.

digitalhippie

Sep 5, 2019
Hobart, Tasmania
Al Boneta said:
The 27.5” fatties feel like tires for beginners. They are heavier, slower and lower the BB height. It’s so much harder to schralp corners as well.

LOL really? These guys seem to make do schralping corners on beginner tires... :p

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Comp + an extra 700wh battery is intriguing. I would swap over my wheelset, probably my fork (though different offset), and a few other bits which should overall keep the weight close to the stock comp.

I like the modernized geo, but it does push this more out of the trail category. Though I definitely would like the steeper seat angle and longer reach. My kenevo is my do-it-all bike currently.

This and the Norco Range VLT would make a good head to head comparison when they are out. On paper, the Range looks a bit more in the sweet spot IMO.

digitalhippie

Sep 5, 2019
Hobart, Tasmania
They’re running 2.6s in the back

The new Kenevo runs 2.6 front and back, not fattie as your original post suggested.

I would happily take 170mm of travel if it would have allowed for 29” wheels. The 27.5” fatties feel like tires for beginners. They are heavier, slower and lower the BB height. It’s so much harder to schralp corners as well.

I'd agree the original 6fattie 3.0 tires maybe weren't the best option on the 2017 era Levo's but as demonstrated by the previous Kenevo there's nothing shabby about running 2.8 Butcher's.

TBH I was surprised Spesh opted to keep the Kenevo 27.5 when Stumpy, Enduro and Levo have gone 29er only for 2020. For me personally though I'm pleased with it, as my preference on the Levo and Kenevo is 650b, wide rims, burly tires. My enduro bike on the other hand is a 29er.

Wheel size, tire width is personal preference (and marketing BS), that's about the extent of it.

Last edited:

JasonNZ

Sep 6, 2019
New Zealand
I've seen the S4, sat on it and ridden it around the shop.
There will always be knockers, no ones actually ridden it yet but already judging it.
Don't assume the dimension figures equate to what you'd expect as it's the combined geometry that brings it all together.
In reality it's not as big as the figures suggest, in fact it seemed a lot smaller......
The top tube is about 30-35mm (at a guess) longer than my Large '18 Levo, but feels the same reach wise.
The seat angle means that at full extension of the dropper you are further forward over the bars - so assuming it will be better at climbing and general pedalling than it's predecessor and when the seat is down the reach feels perfect......I actually like it, seems quite clever to me.
I'm 6'2" and was considering an S5 / XL (could go either way), decided to go for an S4 due to availability and it will be more nimble than the S5 / XL.
The Boxxers may be the making or breaking of it depending on how you ride (with regards to cornering), but in the main it should be a good combo for it's intended purpose. I'd love to have seen Fox 40's but this would undoubtedly further increase the price and will probably come in a future model to lure existing customers to upgrade once again.......
I would be keeping my '18 Levo Expert if I could upgrade the Battery capacity (I'm 98kg so battery life matters.....!), but this will never happen so going to jump to a bigger battery so I can ride as long as my mates, and take on bigger obstacles than I would normally attempt on my Levo.
Only live once.......

Last edited:

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
It wouldn't be a new Specialized without a few obvious short comings which the office boy could see and overcome.

Security GPS tracker.
External USB plug for lights or phone charging.
25mm internal width wheels, nuff said.
Chain stay length, if you want to build a monster truck then 29s should be able to be fitted, a reversible rear axle/hanger flip chip would allow long 27.5 chainstay or 29 wheels, bring back U-Turn on the boxers 200/160 then you would have the ultimate tunable go anywhere bike.
Frame only option so we can build what you should have.

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Currently have a YT Decoy on order. What do people think compared to this new Kenevo?
They are not even the same thing

What makes you say that? The Decoy with a 170 or 180 mm fork is a very capable machine. As far as downhill capability concerns, 27.5 front wheels are a relict from the past. There is a reason why all DH WC riders are on 29er or mullet bikes.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
How big is the new Kenevo really? 1* equals ~10mm at 60cm. Stack is just over 600mm on all bikes. That's pretty low btw.

Seat angle is 77* on the new and 74.5* on the old. That's ~25mm. Reach for the new Kenevo in size L (S4) is 495mm, the old one was 455mm. If we consider the distance between the seat and the handlebars then the seattube angle moves the seat 25mm closer to the handlebars for the new Kenevo. So the difference in "effective reach" (with the seat rails in the same position) is just 15mm. And that's not a lot considering the old Kenevo was on the short side. With the seat in a higher position, the difference decreases.

The difference in wheelbase is pretty significant though. 1293mm for the new on in size L and 1233mm for the old one, you will notice a 60mm difference!

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It was a fun the levo kenevo rumors post

It feels like preparing for the party was more fun than the actual party ...

Oh the bright side, Al has returned to California to continue selling bikes.

The dozens of Danish sex workers he muscled out of business with his natural talent and abnormal flexibility, can return to work.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The silver crowns on the boxxers have a certain 'JD Sports Baracudda, circa 1999' look.

Seems like they have moved the kenevo from burly trail bike, to e-DH bike, which makes sense given the geometry changes between the 18 and 19 levo. The question is where do you ride a e-DH bike? Utah? The alps? Wiltshire?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
The silver crowns on the boxxers have a certain 'JD Sports Baracudda, circa 1999' look.

Seems like they have moved the kenevo from burly trail bike, to e-DH bike, which makes sense given the geometry changes between the 18 and 19 levo. The question is where do you ride a e-DH bike? Utah? The alps? Wiltshire?
Anywhere you like.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Wonder if they are making space for a 170 / 160 more enduro based ebike?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles