2020 S-Works Turbo - No Power!!!

Chrengel

Apr 4, 2020
Maryland
I charged my Turbo 3 days ago and verified it was fully charged before unplugging. I also verified it powered on the the TCU displayed full bars. Today I went to ride and it would not turn on. I plugged in the charger and no lights turned on by the charging port.

What is going on? I’m going madd!!!!

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Had the same on my 2020 Levo Expert last week

Problem was water ingress into the power harness cable following a simple 'soft' wash. This is the cable between the motor and the battery - where you plug the charger into. I got the bike in Dec 2019 and the has the v2 cable fitted. The v3 cable resolves this and is the only one Specialized are sending out now

Been back to my LBS on new harness cable on order. Hoping it arrives soon

Shame really as it the bike has been brilliant so far. it's just such a blast riding it.

Chrengel

Apr 4, 2020
Maryland
Thank you Jeffw. So you're saying the v3 cable will not allow water into the power cable harness? Also, I unplugged that harness to charge the battery but the battery itself did not register any green LEDs at all. That led me to believe something was wrong with the battery since the harness was unplugged.

Chrengel

Apr 4, 2020
Maryland
Further, and not that I have, but aren't you supposed to be able to ride these bikes thru streams, etc? I would think at that point you're soaking the entire engine, power harness, crank assembly, etc. If that is a HUGE NO-NO, then I'll avoid it but isn't that half the fun....taking a mountain bike anywhere?

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Hi
So after the wash, power on and only a very quick red flash on the power display. LBS suggested replacing the battery, but i suggested they ran diagnostics on it first. Turns out the problem is the harness cable is shorting out, according to my LBS. So replacing the battery would have been a waste as the issue would'nt have been resolved.

I also emailed the spesh rep who gets on here (he is very helpful). I've read on other posts on the forum that the the v3 cable is more resistant to allowing water to contaminate

We'll see. All under warranty and Spesh have been very good at warranty replacements, of which i had eleven for my 2018 Kenevo! (now departed)

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Should have added....after the wash i did charge the bike. The green LED's next to the charge port were lit up during the charge. Did'nt realise there was no power until i powered the bike on a couple of hours later to look at a Mission control setting. Put the charger back in the port and again the green LED's came on

But only the red flash on the power display when powering on

Chrengel

Apr 4, 2020
Maryland
Got it, thanks. So I'm definitely going to ask them to replace the cable with the v3 harness BUT it would seem I also have a dead battery. I'm still floored that my battery died after owning the bike for 4 weeks. Just when I thought nothing could take that stupid grin off my face climbing hills I'd normally walk up :)

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
I would suggest getting it back to your LBS and getting them to run the diagnostics. If i had let them replace the battery, as they suggested, it would have been sent (eventually), fitted and found that the bike may still not work. Then the harness cable....all the time elongating the time i can't get out on the bike

So i'm down to riding my fatbike at the moment - forgot just how hard pedaling actually was! Hurry back soon Levo!

Chrengel

Apr 4, 2020
Maryland
I would suggest getting it back to your LBS and getting them to run the diagnostics. If i had let them replace the battery, as they suggested, it would have been sent (eventually), fitted and found that the bike may still not work. Then the harness cable....all the time elongating the time i can't get out on the bike

So i'm down to riding my fatbike at the moment - forgot just how hard pedaling actually was! Hurry back soon Levo!
Good point but I think they tried to run diagnostics but said they couldn’t without the bike having any power.

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Then they should take a battery from an in-store bike and test. Repeat for the harness.

I know my local bike store (Leisure Lakes) would and i believe the guy at Berkshire Cycles would also (from what i've read - have'nt used them personally - too far away)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles