2020 - Meta Power

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
My Team 29” was shipped yesterday!

Can anybody tell me if the tyres come inflated on the rim? And if yes, are they with an inner tyre or tubeless?

I want to swap the soft compound Magic Mary’s for some better winter season tyres.

And do you guys have some usefull tips & tricks?
The Tyres come inflated with a tube, so what I did was straight away take out the tube and set them up tubeless.
I find the soft compound MM excellent winter season tyres, they work well in muddy conditions, as well as on wet roots and rocks.
The Double down casing in combination with the DTSwiss rims are quite a piece of work to mount, they got a few curses when I did it. One thing that i wonder is how narrow the 2.35 tyres are on these rims. I got the same width MM's on my Meta but on a 25mm rim, and they are wider, so I fitted 2.6 MM's and they come out as the 2.35 on the narrow 25mm rims on my Meta.

Last edited:

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
The 2020 Lyrik feels nice just riding it around at work, can literally feel no stiction at all, only downside is that it sits at 10% sag at rest despite resetting the pressure a few times. Does anybody else’s lyrik do this also?
The Lyrik on my 29" sits around 25% - with one volume spacer in, I have just added two more volume spacers as I bottomed out the 170 mm of travel on a flyout after landing. I prefer the plush ride and a more progressive response when hitting hard. I guess that I'll have to play around with both the low speed as well as the high speed compression.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I want to swap the[/QUOTE]
Thought so that kink in the cable was around the pulley wheel , I must admit I can see how easily it is done as when fitting new cable the gx is very snaggy until it’s all through compared to my last bikes xo1 where you can remove the pulley wheel. View attachment 22863
been out again today and although it was another slop fest the gears just started playing up at the end,going to look at the gx pulley although you can’t remove it I remember when fitting the new cable it didn’t feel that free,had a blast as I met some emtb riders and tagged along,starting to get me and the bike dialled in now? probably going to swap out the rear maxx grip tyre as it’s so draggy when rolling downhil,I had to keep on the pedals to stay with peeps.
FF603B1E-F19C-4207-9D38-EB9BF3F6FBEA.jpeg

Last edited:

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
been out again today and although it was another slop fest the gears just started playing up at the end,going to look at the gx pulley although you can’t remove it I remember when fitting the new cable it didn’t feel that free,had a blast as I met some emtb riders and tagged along,starting to get me and the bike dialled in now? probably going to swap out the rear maxx grip tyre as it’s so draggy when rolling downhil,I had to keep on the pedals to stay with peeps.
Glad that I have the X01 on the 29’er. On my analogue Meta I fitted a Bike Yoke Shifty instead of the stock pulley on the X01, it worked wonders as it has a ball bearing. The option to be able to clean the pulley is so much better than on the GX derailleur.
Hope you get it sorted, it should be able to spin freely when the cabl is detached.

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
And, can anyone tell me how much clearance there is for the rear-shock? I mean between the shock and the upper part of the frame. Is there room enough to fit a Rockshox MegNeg? (is that even possible on a ultimate shock?)

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Glad that I have the X01 on the 29’er. On my analogue Meta I fitted a Bike Yoke Shifty instead of the stock pulley on the X01, it worked wonders as it has a ball bearing. The option to be able to clean the pulley is so much better than on the GX derailleur.
Hope you get it sorted, it should be able to spin freely when the cabl is detached.
yes I’ve already looked at the xo1 (had it on my previous bike)but a bit expensive for me ATM,like I said earlier on when I was deciding which bike to have,for how much little extra the 29er was you get a lot higher up the pecking order parts,the wheels being the other one,although nothing wrong with the h1900 I do miss the ratchet hub system off the higher versions,one because of the engagement,2 the sound(I don’t like loud hubs) and 3 the way you can strip it in less than a minute with no tools!i thought I could upgrade mine but the hubs the h1900 have is pawl only,a stroke of luck I’ve managed to buy a rear h1700 wheel complete but at 35mm width new off fleabay for less than £200!?

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I have yet to receive my bike but I'm temping to see if the black battery cover could wrapped to red? I think it's a "RockShox Boxxer" red..

View attachment 23032
I’ve had the same idea but postponed it since normal vinyl doesn’t stick properly to it as it has a rubber like surface :(
I was told that you’d need some super sticky vinyl to make it stick, so I’ll have to see if I can find it locally.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
And, can anyone tell me how much clearance there is for the rear-shock? I mean between the shock and the upper part of the frame. Is there room enough to fit a Rockshox MegNeg? (is that even possible on a ultimate shock?)
There should be enough clearance for a MegNeg aircan in the frame. Standing without load I can pass a finger around the aircan and the frame, which is around 1,5 cm. Please note that the top tube above the shock is hollow. @renedis - this is how the stock shock looks like close up
3F9E68B4-1AFA-4CF8-9530-F1FA87C75294.jpeg

Last edited:

Mudgey

Feb 20, 2019
Exeter
Loving that white colour scheme!

Had my first ride out today and was blown away by the bike, never had a set of forks ever feel this good! The bike is crying out to be ridden hard and fast, it just feels so confidence inspiring and you end up looking out for the rough stuff just to see how fast you can plough through!
Only complaint is that I need to sort out the brakes as they are squeezing like mad when wet. Am I right in thinking metal sintered pads are quieter and more grabby?
I second the comment made above about the tyres, they do feel like they have high rolling resistance. Will swap some spare tyres on there n see if it makes a difference. Was impressed by the magic Mary’s on the last bike so may try a set of those.

EB4EBDAF-224F-4D0B-B955-F85AFCCEDB18.jpeg
6846C832-5A45-4288-9297-FD08BF60B033.jpeg

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Loving that white colour scheme!

Had my first ride out today and was blown away by the bike, never had a set of forks ever feel this good! The bike is crying out to be ridden hard and fast, it just feels so confidence inspiring and you end up looking out for the rough stuff just to see how fast you can plough through!
Only complaint is that I need to sort out the brakes as they are squeezing like mad when wet. Am I right in thinking metal sintered pads are quieter and more grabby?
I second the comment made above about the tyres, they do feel like they have high rolling resistance. Will swap some spare tyres on there n see if it makes a difference. Was impressed by the magic Mary’s on the last bike so may try a set of those.

View attachment 23040 View attachment 23041
agree buddy the bikes a total beast!?the pads well mine anyway are sintered,they unfortunately are or can be noisy especially when it’s cold or wet,mine now have bedded in and only squeal when cold once I use them hard a few times it disappeared.

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
Yeah, the brakes are about the only spec on this bike I wasn't thrilled with.

My brakes kept making all sorts of different noises intermittently in about all conditions.

I ended up putting Hope© floating rotors on it.*

No more weird noises!

*(some drimmeling of brake calipers required for rotor rivet clearance)

hope.jpg

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
There should be enough clearance for a MegNeg aircan in the frame. Standing without load I can pass a finger around the aircan and the frame, which is around 1,5 cm. Please note that the top tube above the shock is hollow. @renedis - this is how the stock shock looks like close up View attachment 23034

best to take the air out and measure the clearance.

Mudgey

Feb 20, 2019
Exeter
Ah yea, these do that as well although not as noisy as last years model, the rotor cut outs on the braking surface will be responsible for the uneven sounds. Those hope rotors with their even circulator cut outs will sort that out like you've said. They look awesome on your bike and the red matches pretty well with the forks!

Talking about hope, as I've been looking at their Tech 3 V4 DH brakes over the weekend. I have a soft spot for Hope brakes, I had a Hope 4 Monoblock 17 years ago on my first proper full suspension bike and it was a fantastic brake for the time.

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
I've owned the Guide R on my Kona Precept 150, Guide RS on my YT Tues and all of them made to much noise. I don't like them at all. This is also the only thing that worries me on the MetaPower. I'm tempted to buy the Magura MT5 or MT7's but first let's see how the RSC's perform and sound after they bed in.

Hope is a bit to pricey to be honest. But my wife has the V4's on her Canyon Torque DHX and is quite happy with it.

@net wurker did you only change the rotors? 200mm? What was the issue with the fitment? Aren't the rotors to small or thick? I do not understand you 100% because English is not my native language (Dutchie here). Maybe the new 220mm Magura's would work too?

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
They're 200mm rotors. The inside of the flange on the caliper, where the mounting bolts go, were just barely rubbing against the rivets in the rotors on each revolution of the wheel.

I removed about 1 or 2 mm from there on each caliper with a dremel. No more rubbing!

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
New bike day!

2C7C9A95-C00F-4A54-8EE0-E0561A5C0E0B.jpg

308B29BD-3A1B-4A9D-80EB-AAC1CEE3DE61.jpg

Charging the bike now and waiting for that to build the bike up for a ride.

I've measured the MagicMary 2.35's... 57/58 mm. They look and feel very small and I'll swap them for some Michelins. I will be saving the MM for another time.
IMG_6543.JPEG

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
B7F2127D-BEFD-4399-A126-FF21CF8394AC.jpeg
fitted my old 2.5dd aggressor to the bargain 35mm h1700,bleed the brakes and hit the trails again today,for saying the aggressor isn’t meant to be much of winter tyre it handled the slop fine,the braking traction isn’t so good but the bike rolled so much faster,I came back with an extra bar left on the battery too?

Last edited:

Mudgey

Feb 20, 2019
Exeter
That's good to know, i'm going to swap the wheelset over this weekend and see what difference it makes. It's also a H1700 wheelset and I have to say the hub does sound much nicer! Going to order up some new discs as well I think. Tempted to give the new Magura 220mm discs a go on the front.

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
So, i own the bike now for almost 2 weeks and here are my thoughts so far:

- saddle is absolute rubbish (changed it)
- flats are quite good (but changed it to V12’s since I had those laying around)
- 175mm dropper seatpost length is great!
- dropper lever/button is to long. Thinking about to change to a wolftooth
- bike is heavy! But when riding it you cant tell that, except with jumps.
- brakes work well, but make a lot of noise in rain
- range of battery is fine at this point. Although i experience range anxiety
- MegNeg can be fitted
- fitting a ebike light with internal working requires removal of the motor (not done yet, but it is on my list)
- love the hub sound (there is almost none)
- cleaning the bike is difficult near rear wheel/motor

Overall i would advise this bike to anyone!

EB9D46FF-A024-413C-ACED-8B8BDA08826D.jpeg

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Heavy compared to another ebike you rode before?

Just as heavy as other ebikes except for the Focus Jam2 (shimano).

On the plus side, the Commencal is very well balanced. I did not experience any drops on the front while jumping over gaps. In other words: I do not have to pull the bike further up to keep the front of the bike in the air.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
So, i own the bike now for almost 2 weeks and here are my thoughts so far:

- saddle is absolute rubbish (changed it)
- flats are quite good (but changed it to V12’s since I had those laying around)
- 175mm dropper seatpost length is great!
- dropper lever/button is to long. Thinking about to change to a wolftooth
- bike is heavy! But when riding it you cant tell that, except with jumps.
- brakes work well, but make a lot of noise in rain
- range of battery is fine at this point. Although i experience range anxiety
- MegNeg can be fitted
- fitting a ebike light with internal working requires removal of the motor (not done yet, but it is on my list)
- love the hub sound (there is almost none)
- cleaning the bike is difficult near rear wheel/motor

Overall i would advise this bike to anyone!
Thought that I would share my thoughts as well.

I’ve had the 29 Power for 6 weeks now and clocked up around 200 km and climbed around 6.200 meter.
- The bike feels heavy when handling it, but the heavy feeling disappears when riding.
- The bike pops small kickers very well
- It is grounded and stable on turns and when descending
- Eagle drive train performs flawless - and suits the bike well
- The Code brakes are easy to modulate but the rotors squeaks more than Centerline rotors
- The motor has a nice torque in Trail mode but in boost you tend to wheelie
- The motor seems noisy (but that’s obviously normal to an E8000)
- Battery capacity seems fine, 30 km and 1.000 meter climb only takes 50% when riding mainly in trail mode (90 % assist and 70 Nm), so far I haven’t reached the limit
- A lot of dirt packs up between the motor and motor protector
- The grips didn’t suit my hands so I changed to Ergon
- The KS Lev dropper is slow and the lever needs too much movement to release, so I changed to a RockShox Reverb 200 mm which is perfect
- The 2.35“ Magic Mary tires are narrow (must be the DD casing) so I put a 2.6” tire in the front, which I find better
- I’ve set it up tubeless with Stan’s - gives a nice feeling of the trail
- I put the pedals on my Commencal FCB, and put on Nukeproof Horizon pedals
- I’ve added two more tokens (3 in total) in the fork as it bottomed out on a smaller fly out even though the sag was perfect. This way I have the plush feeling on smaller bumps, and the capability to take hard impact as well.
- It feels at least as capable on gnarly trails as my Commencal Meta AM

As I haven’t any E bike experience (have only been riding regular enduro bikes) I can’t compare, but I feel it’s a blast, and I love the way it rides. I find it really bang for your bucks and I can really recommend it for anybody who needs a shuttle for the gnarly enduro trails.
4C6D30D6-ECFC-4803-A7C6-1D1342E321C8.jpeg

Last edited:

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Yes my brake hoses were swapped over to be Uk but the rear brake hose went into the same side frame route which bugged me,i rerouted it to go other side?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
A bit more of a cockpit cleanup today as my new dropper came although I’m missing a matchmaker clamp as the kindshock one is not compatible so I used the supplied stealth clamp,super happy with the dropper but it was close regards to stand over height,it’s 170mm but with it all the way down im about where I was with 175mm kindshock one 15mm out of the frame!saying that though with my 5-10 impacts on I could comfortably lift up another 10mm still having optimum leg stretch and just tiptoe the floor,worth noting if anyone is thinking about a reverb axs?

6793352B-26F7-47E5-8B7E-42BA003A64E6.jpeg

0D760DD0-26E1-4BE2-A055-BBE2351DE6C1.jpeg

820CE0A0-179A-486B-9E12-01663801D330.jpeg

FE2DACD7-C66C-43D0-9F2F-144AE6182B93.jpeg

15221EA2-8DD4-4241-89D7-12D6ACC280D5.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles