2020 - Meta Power

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Locked down and waiting for Shimano to hopefully replace my dead motor with the dreaded e10 error code after only around 350km ....................insert unhappy smiley here .

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Locked down and waiting for Shimano to hopefully replace my dead motor with the dreaded e10 error code after only around 350km ....................insert unhappy smiley here .

that's a bummer for sure. hope you get it sorted with them sooner than later. a freak bum motor. I've been running 2 shimano e8000 drives for years now with no issues.

my buddies 2019 spec kenevo motor has been nothing but problems.

keep us posted please.

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Bummer.

Are you guys allowed to ride MTB in the lockdown?
Yes , doesn't seem to be an issue as long as you follow the guidelines about social distancing , the only real issue would be the HWY patrol if you get pulled over .
Seems hit and miss each officer and his interpretation of the law , how far are you from home and if he considers what your doing as exercise .
I an lucky as trails are close to my house , still makes me nervous though.
The thing that pisses me off the most is that there are hundreds of road riders out every day , you can go and play golf yet I cannot go for a ride on my motorcycle for mental health , I have to be traveling to a doctor dentist or going shopping .Such a joke , how can I be getting infected or be endangering someone , and for the excuse that "oh you could crash " statistically more car accidents happen every day than bikes.
Maybe I should strap a golf club to the side of the motorbike LOL

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
Yes , doesn't seem to be an issue as long as you follow the guidelines about social distancing , the only real issue would be the HWY patrol if you get pulled over .
Seems hit and miss each officer and his interpretation of the law , how far are you from home and if he considers what your doing as exercise .
I an lucky as trails are close to my house , still makes me nervous though.
The thing that pisses me off the most is that there are hundreds of road riders out every day , you can go and play golf yet I cannot go for a ride on my motorcycle for mental health , I have to be traveling to a doctor dentist or going shopping .Such a joke , how can I be getting infected or be endangering someone , and for the excuse that "oh you could crash " statistically more car accidents happen every day than bikes.
Maybe I should strap a golf club to the side of the motorbike LOL

We in strict lockdown over in NZ, the Australian system seams a lot better.
Roadies are everywhere over here too, if I put my bike on the ute and went to the trails id be grilled.
When its all said & done its only 4 weeks, got to eradicate this beast.

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
How much battery health do you guys have left?

i’m at:
87% of original capacity
28 charges
1400 km+ on the bike

Not much lockdown here for biking. Max 3 persons together and you are not allowed to park near trails (the gouverment blocked the parking spots). This applies for both roadies and mtb’ers. But bikeparks are closed.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
How do you determine battery health on the Shimano system? Is this something new, I don't remember seeing that anywhere?

You need either the COMMENCAL | PC LINKAGE UNIT SMPCE2 SHIMANO E8000 / DI2 META POWER

Or an app that reads the data such as ST Unlocker. The base version of the app costs about £1.49 and reads lots of data more than the Shimano Etube app and allows more granular control of the modes. It also allows you to save multiple profiles like the default and different versions of ECO Trail and Boost so you can switch between them ie you could do a road, economy, power or whatever. It doesn't mess with the region or speed unless you buy an additional license. The latter of course is illegal on normal roads in UK and voids warranty.

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
So the good news : Shimano replaced my dud motor .Sooner than I thought .
Well I could of contributed to it after a big impact casing a jump some month back.
But it took its time to fail so maybe not .
The even better news is the new motor is much quieter and in trail feels like it has 20% at least more power.
Im not sure why the original was always noisy and if this was related to low power but the bonus power/torques is gladly accepted .
Have they changed anything in the fresher motors?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dont think they changed anything, but when I had a new motor is definitely felt smoother, but then again it would wouldn't it! I suspect that over 3 years of production they probably have dialled in their quality control/production on later motors, but fundamentally there shouldn't be any difference apart form if you where running old software on the previous motor and they have updated it to the latest on the new

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Couple of improvements I have done ,
Jet black waffle grips in matching red but the big improvement is there soft thick raised pattern that helps with vibration and fatigue , after going tubeless also filling the rear tyre with an air-liner to reduce the chance of rim damage and flats I have decided to add one too the front as weight is no issue with ebikes less for the flat more for the reason that I like running quite low psi up front , but the down side of that is in fast berms tyre roll caused loss of grip so with air-liner the true will have more support and will not roll so much.
Air -liners are great not only rim protection but they are run flat so now I don't bother with a back pack just take a frame mount water bottle as I do not need spare tubes and tools .
Added two tokens to the forks , the suspension is amazing now running mostly in the middle of the stroke and only ramps up right at the end of the stroke, a mate who rides a Merida tells me when he rides my bike it feels like the best set up he has ever tried .

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Can anyone with a 2020 SX take a couple of photos of how the magnet sensor is mounted under the rear brake? I've seen diagrams only, but I'm curious as to how it's actually mounted and how the wire is routed. If someone could attach a photo from the inside view (looking at the inside of the left chain stay with the rear wheel off) that would be great.

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
My bike has what I would describe as a clunking sound when descending rough terrain. Anyone else have this?

To address I have added mastic tape on the contact points of the battery. I added where there are already soft rubber bumpers on the battery, just built it up more. It definitely creates a tighter fit and I don't believe the battery is making noise. I just today taped down all the cables that run inside he downtube that could have been moving. Have not ridden since but in bouncing the bike around it does feel quieter but still has sound coming from the motor and it kind of sounds like the clutch catching. If I knock with say my shoe on drive side crank I get some sound of vibration but it doesn't sound like the clunking I get when descending.

I've cleaned the rear linkage, greased and re-torqued with loctite and that addressed some creaking I've had which was a win. Trying to get this bike as silent as possible.

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
HeatproofGenie , I suffered exactly the same issue . I thought it was related to the dud headset issue I had (replacing it with a Hope) but when I got the bike back I still had the noise .
I was convinced it was the battery so packed it with inner tube rubber , nah !
Until , one day I lifted the bike up to carry it over a bridge by the shock rather than push it up the steep metal stairs .
In my case
The collar holding the spring to the shock was allowing a small amount of movement .
After nipping it up ...........no more clunk .

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
Alas I don't have a coil so that's not it. My '19 Power did but that's neither here nor there. Also I have removed the shock and reinstalled with loctite when I had an issue with the Super Deluxe binding. Thanks though.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Can anyone with a 2020 SX take a couple of photos of how the magnet sensor is mounted under the rear brake? I've seen diagrams only, but I'm curious as to how it's actually mounted and how the wire is routed. If someone could attach a photo from the inside view (looking at the inside of the left chain stay with the rear wheel off) that would be great.
Well I don’t have the 2020 SX but the 2020 Team, and as far as I can see on Commencal Tech, they should be identical in that area.
F1FBC279-49E9-4223-8093-AA1D26344FE6.jpeg
681912A6-06AD-45D6-AB49-8791B4F21DA3.jpeg
1BB9E58F-E726-409C-B413-FD29B226808C.jpeg

Jummer26

Oct 13, 2019
Bath
I’ve since changed mine as it scored and would barely move, I purchased a one up as I had used it on other bikes with out problems but this is now very stiff as well, is it down to the cable routing and the fact a lot of crap seems to get in to the seatpost

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
My first KS on my previous bike was terrible too. But this one on the MetaPower 29 seems to keep up. I did put almost the max PSI in it for fast response.

Dezmond 22

Jan 7, 2020
Australia
Okay a bit of an update on what I have done to the SX ,
he air-liner I put in the front wheel is probably the best thing I have done to the handling of the bike .
It has so much more support through corners and berms now , the front tyre does not roll so the tread stays in full contact with the dirt .
I can now hold my line without washing out the front as I run quite low pressure , best upgrade yet !

Amadeus

Jun 26, 2020
Chile
Hi everybody. I want to get a Commencal e-bike (my first e-bike). My local store has both 2020 models: Meta Power 29 Team and Meta Power SX and I don't want to wait for 2021 models.
I'm really having trouble to decide. I'm 6.07ft tall and weight 165lbs.
I usually ride, trails, enduro trails and bike parks (I live surrounded by mountains) so I'm looking for the best all-rounder. Mountains here are anti-grip type. A bike that will be good for pedalling, but above all, a bike to enjoy descents with good control. Which of both models you suggest as an all-rounder (more versatile)?
My concerns:
Meta Power 29 Team: Does it have good maneuverability on descents (considering e-bike weight and 29 wheels)?, is it easy to handle?, do you enjoy it on bike parks?, is it agile?
Meta Power SX: Is it comfortable uphill and for pedalling?, is it agile when descending flowy trails?, is it just for big hitter trails?, is it versatile?

Has anybody tried both of them?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really anxious to get my new e-bike!

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Hi everybody. I want to get a Commencal e-bike (my first e-bike). My local store has both 2020 models: Meta Power 29 Team and Meta Power SX and I don't want to wait for 2021 models.
I'm really having trouble to decide. I'm 6.07ft tall and weight 165lbs.
I usually ride, trails, enduro trails and bike parks (I live surrounded by mountains) so I'm looking for the best all-rounder. Mountains here are anti-grip type. A bike that will be good for pedalling, but above all, a bike to enjoy descents with good control. Which of both models you suggest as an all-rounder (more versatile)?
My concerns:
Meta Power 29 Team: Does it have good maneuverability on descents (considering e-bike weight and 29 wheels)?, is it easy to handle?, do you enjoy it on bike parks?, is it agile?
Meta Power SX: Is it comfortable uphill and for pedalling?, is it agile when descending flowy trails?, is it just for big hitter trails?, is it versatile?

Has anybody tried both of them?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really anxious to get my new e-bike!
I bought the Meta Power 29 Team model, after being advised by the guys at Commencal. At first I had my eyes set on the SX but was told that it was primarily a bike park, whereas the 29’er was more versatile for trail and enduro. Since my primary use is trail and enduro and not so much bike park I decided to take their advice and go for the Meta Power 29 Team. It’s quite easy to handle both pedalling uphill, and descending flowy trails as well as more rough descents.
You don’t sense the weight of the bike on the trail, and I find it fairly easy to pop on jumps. I have the analogue 29 Meta as well as a comparison. What I find great is a pretty long reach, which makes it stable downhill.
I can’t compare with the SX but I find the 29’er quite versatile for my kind of riding - but I haven’t had a chance to try it out in real mountains, but I’m comfortable that it will handle anything my riding technique can cope.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles