2020 Levo HT fork upgrade

jossd

Apr 17, 2020
UK
Hello - new member here and looking for some advice.

Having just purchased a secondhand Turbo Levo HT 2020 - I’ve just started riding my local trails and it’s fairly obvious the standard forks (SunTour XCM32) don’t do much and likely need replacing.

I’m looking to upgrade to Rockshox Revelation RC - Boost but I’m unsure on which sizing is needed. What’s confusing me is the Revelation 29in wheel fork has 150mm of travel, which is 50mm more than the current SunTours.

Current forks:
SR Suntour XCM32, 47mm offset, 15x110mm thru-axle, 100mm travel.

Any insight / recommendations would be extremely appreciated :)

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I upgraded to these RockShox Sektor RL - DebonAir 130 29" BOOST™ 15x110 51 offset C1
Colour: Black
Size: 29" Boost 15x110 mm
Option: 130mm
All good

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I upgraded my wife’s 2019 HT to a 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm, no problems at all. Be advised that you need a new lover bearing as the pos stock fork is with a straight steerer.
image.jpg

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I upgraded my wife’s 2019 HT to a 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm, no problems at all. Be advised that you need a new lover bearing as the pos stock fork is with a straight steerer.
View attachment 29082
I called Specialized Rider Care about this for my 2020 and they said see my lbs as hard to diagnose over phone. LBS looked then recommended and supplied a new bearing but Specialized Rider Care then called me back to say they’d stripped a Levo HT down and I didn’t need one. Looking at both bearings I think Specialized were right.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On a hardtail, as the fork is your only suspension, IMO its even more important than on a FS to get the best fork you can afford.

jossd

Apr 17, 2020
UK
On a hardtail, as the fork is your only suspension, IMO its even more important than on a FS to get the best fork you can afford.
That makes sense - I can push the budget to around £500. Thinking this could open up a few more options

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I would try and get some 140mm Rock Shoe Yaris - these can be upgraded to full Lyric spec at a later date if you want, as the chassis is the same. You should be able to find some for within your budget. Alternative would be a Revelation which can be upgraded to a Pike, as again same chassis.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I called Specialized Rider Care about this for my 2020 and they said see my lbs as hard to diagnose over phone. LBS looked then recommended and supplied a new bearing but Specialized Rider Care then called me back to say they’d stripped a Levo HT down and I didn’t need one. Looking at both bearings I think Specialized were right.
On the 2019 HT I did need a new lover bearing and I know for sure as I found out the hard way when putting the new fork on. I don’t know if the 2020 version of the pos fork have been upgraded with a new thicker part of the steerer but I doubt it. Take it off and check it, it’s a 5 min job and easy to see.

Karsten

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
On the 2019 HT I did need a new lover bearing and I know for sure as I found out the hard way when putting the new fork on. I don’t know if the 2020 version of the pos fork have been upgraded with a new thicker part of the steerer but I doubt it. Take it off and check it, it’s a 5 min job and easy to see.

Karsten
I think I might have read yours or other posts on that also. This is the bearing that the lbs sold me which is same as the one in the 2020.
I ended up putting the stock bearing back in. The POS fork is a straight steerer.

1216F36B-4354-47FC-8104-67915B2DBD33.png

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I think I might have read yours or other posts on that also. This is the bearing that the lbs sold me which is same as the one in the 2020.
I ended up putting the stock bearing back in. The POS fork is a straight steerer.

View attachment 29102
The pictured bearing is not for a straight steerer, it’s a 1 1/2 bottom and 1 1/8 top.

Karsten

jossd

Apr 17, 2020
UK
I upgraded to these RockShox Sektor RL - DebonAir 130 29" BOOST™ 15x110 51 offset C1
Colour: Black
Size: 29" Boost 15x110 mm
Option: 130mm
All good
Galaga - did you need to replace the crown race when upgrading you level forks, or could you use the existing from the POS Suntours?

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Galaga - did you need to replace the crown race when upgrading you level forks, or could you use the existing from the POS Suntours?
@jossd I got a new crown race I think it was a split one and a starnut. I did think about removing the old ones but decided against it. I had the LBS fit the starnut as I didn’t have the tool. Did you need to buy new bearings?

jossd

Apr 17, 2020
UK
Can you remember which crown race you purchased? I ordered one from Chain reaction cycles but it doesn’t fit the tapered steer of the forks. Would normally pop in to an LBS to clarify but nothing open local me me.

The POS bearing seems to fit perfectly actually.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Hi everyone,

My first post here total newbie who has a 2020 Levo HT and yes want to upgrade those forks. Didn’t want to start a new post as there’s already quite a few threads on this subject.

I noticed Fox for eg have a e-bike specific fork, is that necessary or can I go for a regular Fox Factory 34?

Cheers all

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Can you remember which crown race you purchased? I ordered one from Chain reaction cycles but it doesn’t fit the tapered steer of the forks. Would normally pop in to an LBS to clarify but nothing open local me me.

The POS bearing seems to fit perfectly actually.
@jossd sorry for delay in replying. My lbs just fitted it for me so I don't know the spec sorry. I hope you are sorted now. I thought the bearing would work - it looks like they adapt the crown race on the 2020 models to work with POS forks. Obviously expecting people to change them - sharpish.

jossd

Apr 17, 2020
UK
@jossd sorry for delay in replying. My lbs just fitted it for me so I don't know the spec sorry. I hope you are sorted now. I thought the bearing would work - it looks like they adapt the crown race on the 2020 models to work with POS forks. Obviously expecting people to change them - sharpish.
No worries Galaga.. I popped rider care an email and got the info. Fitted the new Sektor’s last week - such a huge difference to the riding experience!
Thanks again for the recommendation :)

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
No worries Galaga.. I popped rider care an email and got the info. Fitted the new Sektor’s last week - such a huge difference to the riding experience!
@jossd cool. I’m trying a cushcore in the rear tyre but not been able to ride much lately.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester

Hi, just about to convert my HT to Rockshox 35 Gold RL with a tapered steerer, please can you let me know what else I will need to convert from the straight to the tapered steerer? Many thanks

jossd

Apr 17, 2020
UK
I just needed to purchase a new 1.5in crown race. POS forks had a reducer attached). Picked one up on chain reaction cycles for £2.99

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
@jossd I got a new crown race I think it was a split one and a starnut. I did think about removing the old ones but decided against it. I had the LBS fit the starnut as I didn’t have the tool. Did you need to buy new bearings?

Thanks for that, so the only thing I need is a 1.5 crown race to go on the new forks? Is the reducer easy to remove from the bottom of the HT tube?

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Ok think I’m getting my head around this now, the brand new forks will need a new 1.5 crown race As per the one in your picture? Does this need to be a tapered crown race? The existing head tube has a reducer in it that I just remove? Thanks for the help.

jossd

Apr 17, 2020
UK
So the Levo hard tails have a 1.5" lower bearing fitted into the frame. The fork you removed from it should have had a reducer built into it and a straight 1 1/8" steerer (as per your photo).

So all that’s needed is to fit a 1.5" tapered fork with a 1.5" crown race fitted to it.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
So the Levo hard tails have a 1.5" lower bearing fitted into the frame. The fork you removed from it should have had a reducer built into it and a straight 1 1/8" steerer (as per your photo).

So all that’s needed is to fit a 1.5" tapered fork with a 1.5" crown race fitted to it.

brilliant (y) I have ordered the new tapered forks, had a quick look at the HT forks and just dropped them down slightly to confirm they are a straight tube which they are, I’ll order the 1.5” crown race now.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
brilliant (y) I have ordered the new tapered forks, had a quick look at the HT forks and just dropped them down slightly to confirm they are a straight tube which they are, I’ll order the 1.5” crown race now.
That’s right. I nearly put my back out lifting the forks up for the picture ?

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
All done and new forks fitted, I see what you mean, the crown race on the original straight tube forks on my 2020 Levo HT (picture below) is shaped to fit the existing bearing which is in fact a 1.5” taper, so the only thing required is a new 1.5” taper crown race for the new tapered forks to fit ??
E6936EB2-C950-4C5B-8567-25440CAED1E4.jpeg

640D0E65-592F-4868-9508-656495883CAC.jpeg

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
All done and new forks fitted, I see what you mean, the crown race on the original straight tube forks on my 2020 Levo HT (picture below) is shaped to fit the existing bearing which is in fact a 1.5” taper, so the only thing required is a new 1.5” taper crown race for the new tapered forks to fit ??
View attachment 33790
View attachment 33791
Great stuff and you can use the old forks for weight lifting exercise ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles