Turbo Levo HT 29 fork swap problems

Riverside

Nov 23, 2019
Cheshire, UK
Just in the process of changing the stock Suntour forks (which have a 1 1/8" steerer and a reducer fitted) for a set of Rockshox 35 (which has a proper tapered steerer - 1 1/8" to 1 1/2"). However, using the original bearings (only 2 months old), I can't get the headset play right; either too slack or too tight. Anyone else had this problem or tried this type of upgrade? I'm starting to wonder if there is something different with this particular lower bearing and reducer setup e.g. thinner bearing....??!!??

Riverside

Nov 23, 2019
Cheshire, UK
All now sorted....resolved by the guys at l.b.s. (G&B Cycles(y)(y) in a soggy Northwich). Reducer plate required replacing with similar, but to fit Rockshox's larger steer base.
Thanks

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
All now sorted....resolved by the guys at l.b.s. (G&B Cycles(y)(y) in a soggy Northwich). Reducer plate required replacing with similar, but to fit Rockshox's larger steer base.
Thanks
I'm about to do the same to mine with RockShox Sektor RLs. I'm wondering should I just take it to LBS or is it easy enough to do with the right part?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
The crown race (as we now know it to be called) is hopefully an easy push fit on the fork as it has a slot in it. I always put this to the front and pack with grease to try and keep water and dirt out. Trick is getting the right one, as the bearing has an internal angle of, commonly, 45 or 36 degrees - this and other dimensions may differ.

Riverside

Nov 23, 2019
Cheshire, UK
I'm about to do the same to mine with RockShox Sektor RLs. I'm wondering should I just take it to LBS or is it easy enough to do with the right part?
KennyB has called it right. No big deal....as long as you've got the right bits. Not having played with this type of head tube setup before, it took a while to realise that the large lower bearing doesn't actually fit snugly on the steerer tube, but requires a collar below to hold it in position. Fork swap in itself is no big deal and WHAT a transformation....(y)(y)

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Just had a look at my Levo manual and the headset is listed as a complete part but gives some description of it. The HT manual may have similar info.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I
Just had a look at my Levo manual and the headset is listed as a complete part but gives some description of it. The HT manual may have similar info.
I think the challenge might be that the Levo manuals have details for bikes with the 1 1/8" to 1 1"2 forks and the Levo HT is 1 1/8@ straight. My LBS have said bring it in and they will measure for me and sort a hope or cane creak complete headset, I'm not sure if that's overkill though?

Mud

Sep 23, 2020
UK
Can anyone tell me which crown race I need to fit a tapered steerer fork? I can see that the headset is made by FSA but I'm not sure which crown race I need to replace the reducer that was fitted to the original Suntour forks. It's a 2019 Levo HT. Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles