The Bike:
p5pb17483676.jpg

p5pb17483680.jpg

Manufacturer: Felt
Model: Redemption 50
Model Year: 2020
Price Paid: 2600 USD
New/Used: Used
Score (out of 10): 5 (Down from 7, considering you will have to swap the calipers at your own cost)

Specs: REDEMPTION | 50 | 2020
MSRP: $4500.00 USD
Size Reviewed: Large
Bike Weight in Large Size (setup tubeless): 53lbs (24kg)
My Weight: 160lbs (73kg)

I picked this bike up for a great deal. It was an ex-demo bike with 500KM on it. It was in generally very good shape, and most parts were like new when I got it.

I'm an intermediate rider. I generally keep jumps under 12ft, drops under 6ft, and I struggle a bit on steep techy sections, very steep rock rolls, and long skinnies that go up high in the air, etc.

I'm going to break down the review into different components, and then how it all works together as a package.

Warranty Support: Poor. I'm adding a new section here, because some concerning things have come up. The details are below in the "brakes" section, but this bike comes with rotors that are incompatible with the brakes. The calipers will need to be replaced with a new model to keep the bike safe and working in the long term. Felt has so far dragged the whole thing out, and now refused to fix it. I believe all of these bikes should be recalled and the calipers changed to something compatible with the rotors.

Frame Geometery: I feel like they did a great job here. The chainstay lenth is 445mm, which is great. Some ebikes (*cough* Giant *cough*) have long chainstay lengths that make their ebikes ride differently than their non electric equivalents. The head tube angle (65.25 degrees) and seat tube angle (75.4) feel like a typical enduro bike, striking a good balance between climbing and descending. Not a ton of pedal bob while pedaling, so they did a good job there.

The reach is pretty long (464.2mm) and the frame is pretty roomy for a large (20") frame. I am a bit above 6', and I wouldn't want the bike any larger.

Frame Quality:
Pros:

On the upside, the battery is integrated into the frame, the finish is nice, and the welds/paint look solid, geometer is great. 150mm of travel is decent, and has held up fine to a couple drops/jumps that bottomed out the shocks.

Cons:
There were some disappointing parts of the frame, which I really think Felt needs to address. The biggest is that inside of the seat tube has weld intrusion from the shock mount. This means that you can only get the seat post in 8", instead of the 10" you should be able to get before the frame interrupts. This severely limits dropper post compatibility in the frame, and was quite the surprise when I got it home and went to swap dropper posts. I called Felt about this, asking if it was a warranty issue, and they said they only expected 8" of insertion. Basically, they are not reaming their seat post tubes from the factory, and consider that reasonable.

There were a couple of other small quality issues, like the rubber gasket on the bottom of the frame that surrounds the battery does not quite fit into the frame. The sizing of the opening is slightly off, so the top of the rubber gasket is always hanging open a bit. The engraving for the serial number on the rear of the frame looks like the machine slipped and dragged across the number a bit, obscuring it. These are minor quibbles, but it makes it seem like they are still figuring out their frame manufacturing, even though their frame architects are quite good.

I also think the weight of the frame is probably a bit heavy compared to competitors, looking at the weight. Many of the components are lighter than other enduro e-bikes, yet it weighs in a bit heavy.

Edit: Big cable rub problem as well! The rear cables (break and deraileur) come out near the rear shock, and rub like crazy against the seat post tube. I taped the frame here when I got it to help protect the frame, and I just noticed it sawed through the tape, through the paint, and has started to do a decent job of sawing through the frame. If you buy this bike, you'll need to seriously protect that area and keep on top of changing out the material there as it saws through it. There's a lot of pressure there, and the rear shock movement makes it saw back and forth on the frame with force.

Wheel Set:
Pros:

35mm internal width rims, Maxxis DHF/High Roller II plus size tires. They setup tubeless super easily, which is a huge plus. They were pre-taped, and the bead holds really firmly. I had to step on the tire with my shoes on to get the bead to break, it sits so tight. I could get it to seat with a standard pump with very little effort. Great job here Felt.

Cons:
Tires are dual compound instead of the nicer 3C MaxxTerra ones, and they're Exo instead of Exo+. Not a huge deal, but I'll definitely be upgrading them once they wear out. It's a reasonable compromise to keep the price down.

Motor:
The Shimano E7000 is almost the same motor as the E8000 (with a little less torque) and rides well. It still has plenty of torque, the controls are intuitive, and it doesn't drag above the speed limit like the older versions of the Bosch motor.

My only complaint with it is that it temporarily cuts out on extended, steep, high friction climbs. I still have to figure this out a bit... It might be related to having a not fully charged battery? I've had it do it when I'm at 40% battery and climbing a loose road with about a 20% grade multiple times. It's annoying to be pushing your ebike up hill because its overheating, so I'm going to keep an eye on that one.

Cranks:
At 170mm on a large, I'd say they are a titch long. I'd rather the 165mm cranks that come on the Small and Medium to help avoid pedal strikes on steep technical climbs. You don't need the extra leverage with an ebike.

Dropper:
It's 125mm, which is too short for a enduro/trail bike in my opinion, especially if you like steep descents and jumps/drops. If you put the stock dropper all the way down in the frame (with the weld intrusion), it sticks out 26mm giving you a stack height of 87mm above the seat post clamp, which isn't great considering it's only a 125mm dropper.

Finding a new one that will fit is an issue. My legs are long enough to easily run a 210mm+ dropper if it fit, but they're not even close due to the interrupted seat tube. OneUp makes the shortest insertion depth dropper post, with the shortest stack height, so they're the go to if you can't fit a post. With the weld intrusion, you can fit a 180mm One-Up v2 with it sticking out 47mm, giving you a minimum stack height of 80mm, an improvement over the stock post, but still not great. If the weld intrusion was gone you could run that same post fully slammed, and might even be able to fit other dropper brands.

My 170mm PNW Cascade post is not even useable, due to the weld intrusion, which was a shock :(. I can't get it in deep enough.

Drive Train:
No complaints at all. A 10 speed drive train is totally fine on an ebike. It hasn't dropped my chain ever, and shifts smoothly. It's held up well too after 580km of riding. Not much chain stretch or wear.

Fork:
Considering the price point, I think this fork is acceptable. For people who aren't gear geeks, the Sektor RL has the same damper/design as the 35mm Yari, but with 32mm stanchions instead. It uses the Motion Control damper, which is decent and easy to service. The steering feels a bit "vague" due to flex when riding hard and pushing it. If I flip the bike upside down and put my feet on the handle bars, and twist the wheel, it flexes considerably compared to a 35mm fork like the Yari.

Edit: Some additional thoughts, after riding it for a while, and giving it a lowers/air-spring service: The "Debonair" air spring inside it is not great. That's one of its biggest weak points. It's using a plastic seal head, instead of the aluminum seal heads on the yari/lyriks. This increases the stiction and you can really feel it. On top of that, I think it needs more positive and negative air volume. The first bit of travel is quite harsh (not enough negative air volume), and it feel like it ramps up too quickly. I'm running 0 tokens as recommended. If I could keep the same air pressure with a hypothetical "-1" token, and more negative air, I think it'd ride a lot better.

Shock:
I think this year's Rockshox Deluxe Debonair is a great value, and I really can't complain about the performance. The extra negative air volume in it really makes an improvement in the small bump sensitivity compared to Rockshox older shocks, and it damps great. I'm sure something like the Fox DPX2 or X2 would ride a bit better, but at this price point Felt made a great choice here. There's no lock-outs, but it's an ebike, so no big deal!

Brakes:
Rotors: 203mm Front and 180mm Back is a winning combination, but there are some serious problems here! They put "fancier" SM-RT64 rotors on the bike, but these are actually not compatible with the MT400 calipers they are using. The MT400 calipers are "wide track" calipers, that are supposed to be only used with "wide track" rotors such as the SM-RT56. Using a wide pad on a narrow caliper means less braking surface and slightly odd braking, because the pads contact the rotor spokes. This explains the strange ticking noise I hear when braking.

I spent a while musing why they would have done this. One reason could be that they don't understand the Shimano brake line-up. A second possible reason is that the SM-RT56 doesn't come in 203mm sizing, so they used an incompatible rotor for spec sheet reasons. Either way, it's pretty sloppy.

I recommend that anyone who buys this bike rectifies this. Either put SM-RT56s 180mm/180mm on both the front and back, or upgrade the calipers to MT420s or MT520s and keep the current rotor setup.

Levers: Shimano levers that feel good, and are actually an upgrade from the levers spec'd with the MT400 calipers. BL-MT501s with Servowave. Can't complain here.

Calipers: Budget Shimano calipers, which are decent for the price. They do a good enough job of stopping the bike, even on steep descents with organic pads. I bet they'd work even better with the right rotors! These calipers are a bit limiting, because you can't get metal pads for them, and you can't use fancy rotors (ice-tech, 203mm, freeza, etc). If you're happy with a 180mm/180mm setup with organic pads, then I'd probably keep them.

Brake Lines: They are using the MT400 spec'd SM-BH59-JK-SS, which is a slightly less stiff line than the standard shimano BH90 line. This seems to give the back a slightly spongy feel, like there is air in the lines. Maybe there is a bit of air hiding somewhere, but I've bled the damn thing four times, tapping the calipers/levers, while rotating the whole bike, so I'm starting to think this is just the best that the SM-BH59's can do.

Comments on the Whole Package:
This is a budget trail/enduro bike, and I think Felt did a good job saving money in the right places, without compromising the ride quality/durability much. The package is unfortunately marred by a blatant mistake with the brake system, and poor support from Felt. I dread to think what would happen if an even costlier problem came up with the bike (cracked frame, burnt out motor).

Disregarding this, it climbs well, descends well, and I'm happy with it for the money after the brake change. If they cleaned up their frame manufacturing a bit, cut down on the weight of the frame, and fixed the brake/rotor incompatiblity, I think they'd have one of the best deals for the price on the market.

Potential Upgrades:
I'm a gear geek, so here's the list of upgrades you might want to turn this thing from a budget bike into a beast :)

Fork:
The Sektor RL that comes on here is a 29/27.5+ fork at 150mm travel with a 51mm offset. That means you can fit a 170mm 27.5" Yari or Lyrik with 46mm offset and not change the geometery at all (except for a 5mm offset change)! The steerer tube seems to be about 7.7", which is pretty long, so finding a used fork will be harder than some other frames. This would be a great upgrade and make it much more "Enduro".

Brakes:
The calipers can be swapped for MT520s (which can be gotten very cheaply from bike24 or aliexpress) without making any changes to the levers or lines. This gives you 4-pot from 2-pot calipers, and changes the pots to ceramic from resin, which helps a bit with heat transmission to the brake lines. It also makes the incompatible rotors compatible, and lets you used finned pads and metal pads if you want.

If you do this caliper upgrade, the rotors can be swapped for RT81's or MT800's/900's if you are planning on very long descents or you drag your brakes a lot. I will probably swap my rear to an RT81 or MT900, because it's a cheap upgrade, and I often drag my rear brakes while descending (poor form :p)...

Dropper:
As mentioned above, a 180mm One-Up post is probably your best bet.

Tires:
I'll probably swap the front to a 2.5" DHF 3C MaxxGrip Exo+ once I wear the original out. It'll give me more grip, more puncture resistance, and make the bike a bit more nimble, at almost the same weight as the current tire. I'll also swap the rear something similar to the original 2.8" High Roller II, but 3C MaxxTerra in Exo+.

Edit: I put in new information about the brake incompatibility with the stock setup. Pretty sloppy there Felt!

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Nice looking bike and a great review.

You can get Yari and Lyric forks with a 51mm offset, so no need to change it.

I’ve done the M520 calliper upgrade on my Trek and it’s a fantastic increase in braking performance for a modest outlay.
I’d hesitate buying from Aliexpress though; too much counterfeit gear on there for my liking.

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
Nice review ! a lot of bike for the money you paid !!!!! :) Shame you can't get your tube reamed or sanded back.
- @R120 or @Rob Hancill

Thanks, I am super happy with my purchase, considering the price. I think it's possible to sand it back, if you put a lot of effort into it. I dropped a 30mm post in there, out of curiosity, and it goes down the full 10", meaning there is less than 1mm of weld intrusion causing the issue.

Nice looking bike and a great review.

You can get Yari and Lyric forks with a 51mm offset, so no need to change it.

Thanks! The 51mm offset Lyrik and Yari are 29er forks. You could put a 170mm 29er fork on it, but then the fork would be 20mm longer and it would change the geometry. The advantage of the 170mm 46mm Lyrik and Yari is that the fork length is exactly the same as the 150mm 29er Sektor that comes on it.

You're right though, you have two option if you don't want to change the geometry much. Go to a 150mm 29er Lyrik/Yari with 51mm offset, or change to a 170mm 27.5 Lyrik/Yari with 46mm offset. I'll personally go for the 170mm version, because I'd like the extra travel, and I'm not too worried about 5mm of offset.

I’ve done the M520 calliper upgrade on my Trek and it’s a fantastic increase in braking performance for a modest outlay.
I’d hesitate buying from Aliexpress though; too much counterfeit gear on there for my liking.

Good to know about the swap. I'm definitely considering it...

If you're in Europe, it definitely makes sense to grab them from Bike24. They won't ship Shimano stuff to us in North America though, so we either have to pay ~2x Bike24 costs, or buy from Aliexpress. As far as I can tell, the aliexpress vendors are just buying from sites like Bike24 and then reshipping to us in North America for a small mark up. M520 calipers aren't high enough volume for someone to bother counterfeiting, and people's reviews look good, so I'm not super concerned in this case.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks, I am super happy with my purchase, considering the price. I think it's possible to sand it back, if you put a lot of effort into it. I dropped a 30mm post in there, out of curiosity, and it goes down the full 10", meaning there is less than 1mm of weld intrusion causing the issue.

A few patient minutes with a round file and the bike upside down (so the swarf doesn't drop down the seat tube) might get you there and would solve your dropper post issue.

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
I've put some new information in, after looking at the brake system further. The stock rotors are not compatible with the stock calipers! Pretty crazy stuff. I've ordered new parts to try rectify this, but I feel like I should probably call up Felt and ask them what they were thinking here.

RE: Zimmerframe, yes I've thought about that. I may try it at some point!

Squinto

Nov 23, 2019
Lower Mainland
I have the same bike in the same situation. Bought used with 300km on it. Great condition and enjoying it so far. The only change I did was the rear brake set up. Rode Squamish and the next day rode on my local mountain Burke in the COQ and the rear brake was fried! Went to Kinetik Cycle and installed:
SHIMANO ROTOR SM-RT70 CENTERLOCK 203mm
SHIMANO DISC BRAKE M640 ZEE REAR/RIGHT

As for the battery intermittent shut off which happens not too many times, I cycle the power output from off back to trail and it tends to fix again.

Squinto

Nov 23, 2019
Lower Mainland
The Bike: View attachment 20906
View attachment 20907

Model Year: 2019
Score (out of 10): 7

Review: The year of this bike is a 2020, not 2019. I couldn't choose 2020, because it hasn't been added to the "Model Year" drop down list yet.

I picked this bike up for a great deal. It was an ex-demo bike with 500KM on it. It was in generally very good shape, and most parts were like new when I got it.

I'm an intermediate rider. I generally keep jumps under 12ft, drops under 6ft, and I struggle a bit on steep techy sections, very steep rock rolls, and long skinnies that go up high in the air, etc.

I'm going to break down the review into different components, and then how it all works together as a package.

Frame Geometery: I feel like they did a great job here. The chainstay lenth is 445mm, which is great. Some ebikes (*cough* Giant *cough*) have long chainstay lengths that make their ebikes ride differently than their non electric equivalents. The head tube angle (65.25 degrees) and seat tube angle (75.4) feel like a typical enduro bike, striking a good balance between climbing and descending. Not a ton of pedal bob while pedaling, so they did a good job there.

The reach is pretty long (464.2mm) and the frame is pretty roomy for a large (20") frame. I am a bit above 6', and I wouldn't want the bike any larger.

Frame Quality:
Pros:

On the upside, the battery is integrated into the frame, the finish is nice, and the welds/paint look solid, geometer is great. 150mm of travel is decent, and has held up fine to a couple drops/jumps that bottomed out the shocks.

Cons:
There were some disappointing parts of the frame, which I really think Felt needs to address. The biggest is that inside of the seat tube has weld intrusion from the shock mount. This means that you can only get the seat post in 8", instead of the 10" you should be able to get before the frame interrupts. This severely limits dropper post compatibility in the frame, and was quite the surprise when I got it home and went to swap dropper posts. I called Felt about this, asking if it was a warranty issue, and they said they only expected 8" of insertion. Basically, they are not reaming their seat post tubes from the factory, and consider that reasonable.

There were a couple of other small quality issues, like the rubber gasket on the bottom of the frame that surrounds the battery does not quite fit into the frame. The sizing of the opening is slightly off, so the top of the rubber gasket is always hanging open a bit. The engraving for the serial number on the rear of the frame looks like the machine slipped and dragged across the number a bit, obscuring it. These are minor quibbles, but it makes it seem like they are still figuring out their frame manufacturing, even though their frame architects are quite good.

I also think the weight of the frame is probably a bit heavy compared to competitors, looking at the weight. Many of the components are lighter than other enduro e-bikes, yet it weighs in a bit heavy.

Wheel Set:
Pros:

35mm internal width rims, Maxxis DHF/High Roller II plus size tires. They setup tubeless super easily, which is a huge plus. They were pre-taped, and the bead holds really firmly. I had to step on the tire with my shoes on to get the bead to break, it sits so tight. I could get it to seat with a standard pump with very little effort. Great job here Felt.

Cons:
Tires are dual compound instead of the nicer 3C MaxxTerra ones, and they're Exo instead of Exo+. Not a huge deal, but I'll definitely be upgrading them once they wear out. It's a reasonable compromise to keep the price down.

Motor:
The Shimano E7000 is almost the same motor as the E8000 (with a little less torque) and rides well. It still has plenty of torque, the controls are intuitive, and it doesn't drag above the speed limit like the older versions of the Bosch motor.

My only complaint with it is that it temporarily cuts out on extended, steep, high friction climbs. I still have to figure this out a bit... It might be related to having a not fully charged battery? I've had it do it when I'm at 40% battery and climbing a loose road with about a 20% grade multiple times. It's annoying to be pushing your ebike up hill because its overheating, so I'm going to keep an eye on that one.

Cranks:
At 170mm on a large, I'd say they are a titch long. I'd rather the 165mm cranks that come on the Small and Medium to help avoid pedal strikes on steep technical climbs. You don't need the extra leverage with an ebike.

Dropper:
It's 125mm, which is too short for a enduro/trail bike in my opinion, especially if you like steep descents and jumps/drops. If you put the stock dropper all the way down in the frame (with the weld intrusion), it sticks out 26mm giving you a stack height of 87mm above the seat post clamp, which isn't great considering it's only a 125mm dropper.

Finding a new one that will fit is an issue. My legs are long enough to easily run a 210mm+ dropper if it fit, but they're not even close due to the interrupted seat tube. OneUp makes the shortest insertion depth dropper post, with the shortest stack height, so they're the go to if you can't fit a post. With the weld intrusion, you can fit a 180mm One-Up v2 with it sticking out 47mm, giving you a minimum stack height of 80mm, an improvement over the stock post, but still not great. If the weld intrusion was gone you could run that same post fully slammed, and might even be able to fit other dropper brands.

My 170mm PNW Cascade post is not even useable, due to the weld intrusion, which was a shock :(. I can't get it in deep enough.

Drive Train:
No complaints at all. A 10 speed drive train is totally fine on an ebike. It hasn't dropped my chain ever, and shifts smoothly. It's held up well too after 580km of riding. Not much chain stretch or wear.

Fork:
Considering the price point, I think this fork is acceptable. For people who aren't gear geeks, the Sektor RL has the same damper/design as the 35mm Yari, but with 32mm stanchions instead. It uses the Motion Control damper, which is decent and easy to service. The steering feels a bit "vague" due to flex when riding hard and pushing it. If I flip the bike upside down and put my feet on the handle bars, and twist the wheel, it flexes considerably compared to a 35mm fork like the Yari.

Shock:
I think this year's Rockshox Deluxe Debonair is a great value, and I really can't complain about the performance. The extra negative air volume in it really makes an improvement in the small bump sensitivity compared to Rockshox older shocks, and it damps great. I'm sure something like the Fox DPX2 or X2 would ride a bit better, but at this price point Felt made a great choice here. There's no lock-outs, but it's an ebike, so no big deal!

Brakes:
Rotors: 203mm Front and 180mm Back is a winning combination, but there are some serious problems here! They put "fancier" SM-RT64 rotors on the bike, but these are actually not compatible with the MT400 calipers they are using. The MT400 calipers are "wide track" calipers, that are supposed to be only used with "wide track" rotors such as the SM-RT56. Using a wide pad on a narrow caliper means less braking surface and slightly odd braking, because the pads contact the rotor spokes. This explains the strange ticking noise I hear when braking.

I spent a while musing why they would have done this. One reason could be that they don't understand the Shimano brake line-up. A second possible reason is that the SM-RT56 doesn't come in 203mm sizing, so they used an incompatible rotor for spec sheet reasons. Either way, it's pretty sloppy.

I recommend that anyone who buys this bike rectifies this. Either put SM-RT56s 180mm/180mm on both the front and back, or upgrade the calipers to MT420s or MT520s and keep the current rotor setup.

Levers: Shimano levers that feel good, and are actually an upgrade from the levers spec'd with the MT400 calipers. BL-MT501s with Servowave. Can't complain here.

Calipers: Budget Shimano calipers, which are decent for the price. They do a good enough job of stopping the bike, even on steep descents with organic pads. I bet they'd work even better with the right rotors! These calipers are a bit limiting, because you can't get metal pads for them, and you can't use fancy rotors (ice-tech, 203mm, freeza, etc). If you're happy with a 180mm/180mm setup with organic pads, then I'd probably keep them.

Brake Lines: They are using the MT400 spec'd SM-BH59-JK-SS, which is a slightly less stiff line than the standard shimano BH90 line. This seems to give the back a slightly spongy feel, like there is air in the lines. Maybe there is a bit of air hiding somewhere, but I've bled the damn thing four times, tapping the calipers/levers, while rotating the whole bike, so I'm starting to think this is just the best that the SM-BH59's can do.

This is a budget trail/enduro bike, and I think Felt did a great job saving money in the right places, without compromising the ride quality/durability much. It climbs well, descends well, and I'm very happy with it for the money. If they cleaned up their frame manufacturing a bit, cut down on the weight of the frame, and fixed the brake/rotor incompatiblity, I think they'd have one of the best deals for the price on the market.

Potential Upgrades:
I'm a gear geek, so here's the list of upgrades you might want to turn this thing from a budget bike into a beast :)

Fork:
The Sektor RL that comes on here is a 29/27.5+ fork at 150mm travel with a 51mm offset. That means you can fit a 170mm 27.5" Yari or Lyrik with 46mm offset and not change the geometery at all (except for a 5mm offset change)! The steered tube seems to be about 7.7", which is pretty long, so finding a used fork will be harder than some other frames. This would be a great upgrade and make it much more "Enduro".

Brakes:
The calipers can be swapped for MT520s (which can be gotten very cheaply from bike24 or aliexpress) without making any changes to the levers or lines. This gives you 4-pot from 2-pot calipers, and changes the pots to ceramic from resin, which helps a bit with heat transmission to the brake lines. It also makes the incompatible rotors compatible, and lets you used finned pads and metal pads if you want.

If you do this caliper upgrade, the rotors can be swapped for RT81's or MT800's/900's if you are planning on very long descents or you drag your brakes a lot. I will probably swap my rear to an RT81 or MT900, because it's a cheap upgrade, and I often drag my rear brakes while descending (poor form :p)...

Dropper:

Tires:
I'll probably swap the front to a 2.5" DHF 3C MaxxGrip Exo+ once I wear the original out. It'll give me more grip, more puncture resistance, and make the bike a bit more nimble, at almost the same weight as the current tire. I'll also swap the rear something similar to the original 2.8" High Roller II, but 3C MaxxTerra in Exo+.

Edit: I put in new information about the brake incompatibility with the stock setup. Pretty sloppy there Felt!

Great breakdown! I was looking for something like this for this particular bike before I committed to the buy but felt it was a good deal from the specs. It’s good to know I made a good choice. I’ve been able to ride all of the trails I usually ride with my 2015 Rocky Mountain 990 BC Ed but now a lot more downs on one day!

Thanks for putting in the time into this review!
Simon
1D71D70C-578A-41B8-B064-F5D49BC66714.jpeg

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
The only change I did was the rear brake set up. Rode Squamish and the next day rode on my local mountain Burke in the COQ and the rear brake was fried!

Thanks for the feedback! Good to see I'm not the only person in the world on this bike.

I called Felt about the brake compatibility problem today, and they were unaware of it. They asked me to send an email with further information, so I've now sent them details and screenshots of the Shimano compatibility matrix, etc, so they can verify the problem. I'll update here if they offer a recall/solution.

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
I've been talking with Felt for a while about the mistakes they made with the brake system. Originally, they offered me a jersey as compensation and apologized. I asked them to reimburse the very reasonable part cost (not the labor) of the new calipers I had to buy, and then they said they were denying my warranty completely.

Very disappointing.

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
I've been talking with Felt for a while about the mistakes they made with the brake system. Originally, they offered me a jersey as compensation and apologized. I asked them to reimburse the very reasonable part cost (not the labor) of the new calipers I had to buy, and then they said they were denying my warranty completely.

Very disappointing.
Hi, first of all that for putting in such detailed review, it is very helpful. I was going to get YT Decoy 19 from sale, but found this bike and it comes about 1.5k cheaper, so now seriously considering it. I would like to clarify few questions if you don’t mind :
1) Does it have Shimano computer/control unit, I can’t see it on pictures and seems nothing in description about it ?
2) you mentioned that they use incompatible MT400 calipers, but as per description on Felt website Felt and seller as well, they are MT500. Do you think they might updated it or it can be miss advertising?
3) how is your more long term experience now? Any additional issues/concerns ?

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
Hi P
Hi, first of all that for putting in such detailed review, it is very helpful. I was going to get YT Decoy 19 from sale, but found this bike and it comes about 1.5k cheaper, so now seriously considering it. I would like to clarify few questions if you don’t mind :
1) Does it have Shimano computer/control unit, I can’t see it on pictures and seems nothing in description about it ?

1. It does come with a Shimano E7000 display and controls. You can see the unit in this video. Different bike, but same system: . I like it. Simple, and small so it's less likely to snap when you crash.

2) you mentioned that they use incompatible MT400 calipers, but as per description on Felt website Felt and seller as well, they are MT500. Do you think they might updated it or it can be miss advertising?

They used to have it listed as MT400 on their website, and they were definitely shipping them with MT400s. They've now they've updated the description to MT500 after me pointing out that they are selling incompatible brakes. I would hope that new ones come with MT500s now, but I wouldn't trust Felt much at this point. I'd get the seller to prove they are MT500s with a photo of the calipers, because they might just be copy and pasting the manufacturer website.

They seemed to think it was an issue enough to update their website (and manufacturing?), but they still wouldn't reimburse me the difference in cost, or help me out any other way. I spent a lot of time to explain their issue to them as well. I sent them Shimano documentation, detailed explanations, etc, and told them how to rectify it. I helped them out for free, and they silently updated their website, sent me an email claiming there was no issue with the MT400s, and didn't help me at all. Pretty cheeky, eh?

3) how is your more long term experience now? Any additional issues/concerns ?
3. I still like the bike quite a bit. It was a damn good deal for the price, and when I ride, I'm very happy with it.

I've been really unimpressed with Felt's customer service, as you can probably tell. I would assume there is no warranty support from them, so make sure you're okay with that, or buy it from a good bike shop who can help you out, and make things right. I personally would not buy a new bike made by Felt in the future, because they can't be trusted to even spec the bikes properly :p. If you look at the Felt Surplus 50 here, they're still selling it with incompatible brakes, to this day. They updated the Redemption, but not the Surplus. Really lazy/irresponsible.

The Shimano E7000 motor seems pretty fragile. I haven't had any issues, but my friend who has the same bike has broken the motor twice now in 5 months. Shimano covered it under warranty both times, but it's still concerning.

You'll definitely need to upgrade the brakes if it doesn't have the MT500s. It's not safe with the MT400s. I love the MT520s I put on, with metal pads. Tons of grab. You'll probably want to eventually put a better dropper and a Lyrik 170mm fork on there, if you ride hard/steep trails. I also dropped my handle bars down by one spacer (10mm), and really liked that change as well. I ended up throwing a 2.5" Maxxis Minion DHF Maxxgrip Exo on the front, and love it compared to the 2.8" for the techy trails that I ride.

After all those mods, I'm loving the way it's riding. There's not much that I'd like to change, and I'm a gear geek, so I like to swap parts and tweak things a lot more than the average person.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
Thanks again for such detailed reply, really appreciate it. I completely agree that all this brake story doesn’t look good and there is no trust with Felt.... I’m not such gear geek when it comes to bikes especially in terms of mods. I prefer to do my research and get what will suite me without too much hassle.
I’m more novice/intermediate MTB rider and I don’t really do jumps, at least intentionally :). I live in NJ and problem is that most trails have a lot of rocks and roots, so I need good suspension, but nothing specifically aerial oriented. Right now I have only hard tail MTB and last ride with buddies completely frustrated me, it was so harsh that rear wheel was getting displaced in axle slot. So idea is to get something that can handle this bumps, but not break the bank. I already have expensive road ebike, so this is more for occasional rides

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
No problem! Having ridden in that area quite a bit before, I think it will be plenty of bike stock (assuming it comes with MT500s), especially if you are a novice/intermediate rider. It's a bike that has plenty of room to grow as well. If you end up getting a lot better, and smashing black trails at Mountain Creek, you could always upgrade the Fork/Dropper and be pretty happy.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
The Bike: View attachment 20906
View attachment 20907

Model Year: 2020
Score (out of 10): 5 (Down from 7, considering you will have to swap the calipers at your own cost)

Warranty Support: Poor. I'm adding a new section here, because some concerning things have come up. The details are below in the "brakes" section, but this bike comes with rotors that are incompatible with the brakes. The calipers will need to be replaced with a new model to keep the bike safe and working in the long term. Felt has so far dragged the whole thing out, and now refused to fix it. I believe all of these bikes should be recalled and the calipers changed to something compatible with the rotors.

Frame Quality:
Pros:

Cons:

Wheel Set:
Pros:

Cons:

Motor:

Cranks:

Dropper:

Drive Train:

Fork:

Shock:

Brakes:

This is a budget trail/enduro bike, and I think Felt did a good job saving money in the right places, without compromising the ride quality/durability much. The package is unfortunately marred by a blatant mistake with the brake system, and poor support from Felt. I dread to think what would happen if an even costlier problem came up with the bike (cracked frame, burnt out motor).

Disregarding this, it climbs well, descends well, and I'm happy with it for the money after the brake change. If they cleaned up their frame manufacturing a bit, cut down on the weight of the frame, and fixed the brake/rotor incompatiblity, I think they'd have one of the best deals for the price on the market.

Potential Upgrades:

Fork:
The Sektor RL that comes on here is a 29/27.5+ fork at 150mm travel with a 51mm offset. That means you can fit a 170mm 27.5" Yari or Lyrik with 46mm offset and not change the geometery at all (except for a 5mm offset change)! The steerer tube seems to be about 7.7", which is pretty long, so finding a used fork will be harder than some other frames. This would be a great upgrade and make it much more "Enduro".

Brakes:

Dropper:

Tires:

Interesting. I have the 2020 Redemption e 30 which has slightly higher specs. I really like the bike but wonder if I have the same issue with the rotors? Will have to look into it. Glad to see there’s another felt owner on here!

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
Interesting. I have the 2020 Redemption e 30 which has slightly higher specs. I really like the bike but wonder if I have the same issue with the rotors? Will have to look into it. Glad to see there’s another felt owner on here!
Interesting... Did you get it new? And can you please clarify exactly what you mean by slightly higher specs?
Update: actually my bad, disregard this, as I missed that it is another model

Last edited:

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
No problem! Having ridden in that area quite a bit before, I think it will be plenty of bike stock (assuming it comes with MT500s), especially if you are a novice/intermediate rider. It's a bike that has plenty of room to grow as well. If you end up getting a lot better, and smashing black trails at Mountain Creek, you could always upgrade the Fork/Dropper and be pretty happy.

Got reply from seller and seems indeed MT-500 is used
unnamed.jpg

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America

I'm pretty sure the original problem didn't affect the rest of the Redemption line, so I think you're good to go!
Got reply from seller and seems indeed MT-500 is used
Nice! Looks like they changed their spec mid-production of 2020 year. Now there's a 2020 MK1 and a 2020 MK2 :p. Pretty confusing for the end user, but better than getting one with bad brakes!

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
I'm pretty sure the original problem didn't affect the rest of the Redemption line, so I think you're good to go!

Nice! Looks like they changed their spec mid-production of 2020 year. Now there's a 2020 MK1 and a 2020 MK2 :p. Pretty confusing for the end user, but better than getting one with bad brakes!

Indeed. Now I got another dilemma. For 700 more can get 2019 Turbo Levo Comp, which seems to be better value proposition

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
I haven't ridden the Turbo Levo, but I know it generally gets good reviews. On paper, you get:

Upgrades:
--Stiffer Fork (32mm to 35mm stanchions)
--Better Fork Damper (Open Bath to Charger RC)
--Better Fork Air Spring (Real Debonair Spring)
--Trail mode on the rear shock
--Maybe slightly lighter by a pound or two
--Quad Piston Brakes
--Probably better warranty support
--150mm dropper instead of 125mm dropper
--200mm rotor on the rear
--Specialized frame is probably better

Differences:
--29er wheels from 27.5
--An extra gear ring (could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your view point)
--Different Frame Geometry (Probably an advantage, but I can't directly compare)
--Specialized Motor (might be less fragile, not sure how it rides)

Downgrades:
--Butcher Tires from Maxxis Minions (just my opinion)
--Motor/Battery are not mainstream. I would bet they'll be hard to find parts for once it's out of warranty, and replacement batteries will probably be expensive.

Probably worth the extra 700, especially if you're looking for a 29er. All depends on your budget!

PetroK

Apr 15, 2020
USA
I haven't ridden the Turbo Levo, but I know it generally gets good reviews. On paper, you get:

Upgrades:
--Stiffer Fork (32mm to 35mm stanchions)
--Better Fork Damper (Open Bath to Charger RC)
--Better Fork Air Spring (Real Debonair Spring)
--Trail mode on the rear shock
--Maybe slightly lighter by a pound or two
--Quad Piston Brakes
--Probably better warranty support
--150mm dropper instead of 125mm dropper
--200mm rotor on the rear
--Specialized frame is probably better

Differences:
--29er wheels from 27.5
--An extra gear ring (could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on your view point)
--Different Frame Geometry (Probably an advantage, but I can't directly compare)
--Specialized Motor (might be less fragile, not sure how it rides)

Downgrades:
--Butcher Tires from Maxxis Minions (just my opinion)
--Motor/Battery are not mainstream. I would bet they'll be hard to find parts for once it's out of warranty, and replacement batteries will probably be expensive.

Probably worth the extra 700, especially if you're looking for a 29er. All depends on your budget!

You are as always precise and on spot. (y) The only thing I probably disagree is battery, it is quite mainstream and price seems to be comparable with Shimano battery

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
The only thing I probably disagree is battery, it is quite mainstream and price seems to be comparable with Shimano battery
It's just a guess of mine about the future. My guess is that in a few years, we might see more aftermarket stuff for the Shimano battery vs the Specialized battery, because the market share for the Shimano battery is larger. There's definitely no guarantee though!

Darius1502

May 30, 2020
Austin Texas
I just got the Felt Redemption 30 and its awesome. I originally had ordered the Redemption 50 but I did not want the e7000 Shimano Steps...because I wanted the more powerful e8000 and upgrade spec of the Redemption 30.

Incredible. $3499 delivered... Pretty nice bike and totally different calipers, etc than the trouble described here.

felt-redemption-e-30-l20.jpg

felt top.jpg

HinduKush

Jun 7, 2020
Colorado, USA
Your poor customer service may have something to do with Felt's recent sale to Rossignol. There may have been some behind the scenes issues with regard to committing additional funds to correct legacy issues either on the part of Felt ownership which may have been heading out the door or Rossignol which wouldn't want to commit to fixing hundreds of bikes it wasn't responsible for producing.

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
That's a nice looking bike! The specs of the Redemption 30 are pretty close to what I upgraded my 50 to in the end, and the upgrades were well worth it for what I ride.

Your poor customer service may have something to do with Felt's recent sale to Rossignol. There may have been some behind the scenes issues with regard to committing additional funds to correct legacy issues either on the part of Felt ownership which may have been heading out the door or Rossignol which wouldn't want to commit to fixing hundreds of bikes it wasn't responsible for producing.
I was wondering the same thing. Things did abruptly switch when Rossignol took over. The original Felt guy I was talking to seemed happy to help and was starting the process of helping me out, but he got replaced half way through.

cegli

Oct 30, 2019
North America
Sweet! That's just an inventory photo...I added some RED to mine here:

Just as a heads up, make sure to protect your frame from the crazy cable rub I just noticed while inspecting my frame! I put a note about it underlined in the original post! Wouldn't want to see the same thing happen to your bike. Looks like it could saw through the frame within 2000km if you weren't careful.

Darius1502

May 30, 2020
Austin Texas
Just as a heads up, make sure to protect your frame from the crazy cable rub I just noticed while inspecting my frame! I put a note about it underlined in the original post! Wouldn't want to see the same thing happen to your bike. Looks like it could saw through the frame within 2000km if you weren't careful.

Where is the cable rub?

Darius1502

May 30, 2020
Austin Texas
OK I see...thank you brother:

Edit: Big cable rub problem as well! The rear cables (break and deraileur) come out near the rear shock, and rub like crazy against the seat post tube. I taped the frame here when I got it to help protect the frame, and I just noticed it sawed through the tape, through the paint, and has started to do a decent job of sawing through the frame. If you buy this bike, you'll need to seriously protect that area and keep on top of changing out the material there as it saws through it. There's a lot of pressure there, and the rear shock movement makes it saw back and forth on the frame with force.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles