2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
I still reckon the gap is there for airflow for the battery/motor.
For hot air to escape at this gap, you have to have intake on the other side(front), so the fresh- cool air could push the hot air out on the back, like Haibike has done.
Hot air from the motor will not escape by it self just by putting only one gap-hole in the back, you will need some kind negative or positive air pressure inside the system, so the cooling would be effective, similar like in computer case systems.
main-qimg-a2f6d9eb4fb13c3bb0110847e21e493d

Don't see here to be the case.

Last edited:

LevoLover7

Oct 28, 2018
Germany
simply install mudhugger guard (small version) and no more dirt come into this whole :)

muddi.jpeg

Also works on 19er levo !!!

Furthermore, Speci is currently working on a separate cover

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
It you have all the tools to do it, I would do it Pre wash. Grab some photos as well if you can
The left hand side (non drive side) should be very easy to do.
The crank arm has a self extracting bolt which will pull the crank arm off as you undo the bolt. This is normally ‘torqued’ on at well over 20Nm so you will need to give a bit of welly when you undo it anti clockwise.
If it is similar to my 2017 the motor cover will be held on with 3mm or 4mm Allen bolts which will be easy to undo.

The drive side will require other tools which you may not have. For now just pull off the left hand side to see what ‘uglies’ are lurking underneath
I'll do it next weekend when it's back from the shop.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Yes, the dual compound. 2.5 front and 2.4 rear
Rob, quick question, how did you attach the magnet of the speed sensor to the DT Swiss wheels. I assume you used the DT Swiss "Centerlock IS adapters" to attach the SRAM 6 bolt discs to the DT Swiss wheels. But I don't see how this could work with the original magnet...

If you found a solution please let me know :) Thx !!
Buy a good magnet and glue it on. I've had a right game going through adapter and new rotor when it wasn't needed.

Check out my thread and game I had. Now I'm the wiser
20181026_220946.jpeg

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Probably because he is thinking the same as us and has had to go up the food chain for an answer!

I still reckon the gap is there for airflow for the battery/motor.

What i don't get is when developing any ebike, especially with a new motor, surely all the brands take it out in varying conditions, and then take out the motor to insepect and then make the relevant checks and further develop the design based off what they find.

I cant see how Specialized's turbo development centre in the alps didn't pick this up, no way they wouldn't have noticed it, so maybe they made a judgement call that in order to get the cooling, they had to compromise on the containment.
Why not use exhaust ports like on the focus? Not much shit hits the head tube and surely it'll cool the battery too?! Dunno if that's needed or not.

I think they've dropped a ball here. If the motors start failing around the world in 3 or 4m, especially as winter is hitting Europe then what? Recall?

I need this bike for my job and even a week downtime is frustrating and a financial impact. And to boot...I bloody love this bike

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For hot air to escape at this gap, you have to have intake on the other side(front), so the fresh- cool air could push the hot air out on the back, like Haibike has done.
Hot air from the motor will not escape by it self just by putting only one gap-hole in the back, you will need some kind negative or positive air pressure inside the system, so the cooling would be effective, similar like in computer case systems.
main-qimg-a2f6d9eb4fb13c3bb0110847e21e493d

Don't see here to be the case.
I agree, however a passive vent also dissipates heat, i am not familiar enough with the levo to know one way or another

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
Personally I think it looks pish. Never run mudguards and don't intend to. They better come up with a better solution.
And no way you should have to run a mudguard to sort this problem anyway. I'm sure there are lots of work arounds to minimise the issue but on a £4000-£10000 bike I'm pretty sure Specialized should have thought about this before releasing the bike. They will need to provide the protection for the motor not the buyer.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What if Spesh's response to send every owner a mudguard... :unsure:

LevoLover7

Oct 28, 2018
Germany
And no way you should have to run a mudguard to sort this problem anyway. I'm sure there are lots of work arounds to minimise the issue but on a £4000-£10000 bike I'm pretty sure Specialized should have thought about this before releasing the bike. They will need to provide the protection for the motor not the buyer.

that's just a transitional solution until speci comes up with the final solution but it's up to you to let the engine housing get dirty meanwhile. With a 4500-11000 euro bike it should not fail at the additional 16 euro. And now in winter, a guard makes sense anyway.

lenny74

Oct 5, 2018
Waterlooville
that's just a transitional solution until speci comes up with the final solution but it's up to you to let the engine housing get dirty meanwhile. With a 4500-11000 euro bike it should not fail at the additional 16 euro. And now in winter, a guard makes sense anyway.

Very fair point for all current owners (y) but I'm talking from a prospective buyers point of view and if I'm told that I would need to buy an additional mudguard to help protect the motor from standard UK weather conditions etc I would be questioning my purchase.....which to be honest at this stage I am.

Madebyspencer

Oct 26, 2018
Los Angeles
I live in dry Southern California but longevity of the bike is key for me. Am much as I love how specialized stands behind their warranty I would rather spend time on the trail as opposed to the shop with warranty problems.

I took an old tube (as I see someone suggested above) and mounted it to the rear triangle to divert debris from entering the motor. As a more permanent fix I have ordered a mudhugger front fender long (thanks @Kiwi in Wales). I don't know if it will fit, as the 2019 29ers have much less space compared to my 2017 27.5+ but is worth a try.

Apologize for the yellow zip ties, that is all I had on this Sunday night! I Side note, I ended up rerouting the DIY tube to the rear shock mount to avoid the tube rubbing against the tire.

Very DIY but I am trying to stay on the trail through the winter!

Another note, for those in Southern Californa, I picked up my bike today and my dealer checked their system and it shows they are not getting another order of 2019 Levo bikes till January, from S-Works to non comp, so if you see one get it while you can.

IMG_8211.JPG
IMG_8208.JPG
IMG_8210.JPG

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
#madebyspencer - Looks good for a temporary fix, i'll probably do similar and add a strip of foam in the gap to limit dust getting in when I'm riding this NZ summer - in Wanaka it's like riding on talcum powder

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I live in dry Southern California but longevity of the bike is key for me. Am much as I love how specialized stands behind their warranty I would rather spend time on the trail as opposed to the shop with warranty problems.

I took an old tube (as I see someone suggested above) and mounted it to the rear triangle to divert debris from entering the motor. As a more permanent fix I have ordered a mudhugger front fender long (thanks @Kiwi in Wales). I don't know if it will fit, as the 2019 29ers have much less space compared to my 2017 27.5+ but is worth a try.

Apologize for the yellow zip ties, that is all I had on this Sunday night! I Side note, I ended up rerouting the DIY tube to the rear shock mount to avoid the tube rubbing against the tire.

Another note, for those in Southern Californa, I picked up my bike today and my dealer checked their system and it shows they are not getting another order of 2019 Levo bikes till January, from S-Works to non comp, so if you see one get it while you can.

View attachment 6896 View attachment 6898 View attachment 6897
Hope the mudhugger fits ?

My concern like yours is there is definitely less clearance space available with the 29er 2.6 tyres/tires compared to the 27.5 set up on the 2017 and 2018 models. Please let us know how you get on with the mudhugger and clearance ?

The rubber tube and also foam option looks like a good combined ‘temp’ fix but having to do this on a new bike seems crazy ? However, if it resolves the issue for now it makes sense ?

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe

View attachment 6896 View attachment 6898 View attachment 6897
This would me nice BODGE for GCN.... :)(y)

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming

I took an old tube (as I see someone suggested above) and mounted it to the rear triangle to divert debris from entering the motor.

I was thinking of from the seat tube to the chainstay, that'll keep all the goop from spinning off the tire and running down the seatube into the gap. Or just dangle it from the seatube down past the chainstays and over the gap, it really doesn't have to be attached on the bottom if it hangs down far enough like a mudflap.

IMG_8211.JPG

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
I was thinking of from the seat tube to the chainstay, that'll keep all the goop from spinning off the tire and running down the seatube into the gap. Or just dangle it from the seatube down past the chainstays and over the gap, it really doesn't have to be attached on the bottom if it hangs down far enough like a mudflap.

That's what I did. I cut up a Mucky Nutz to make a seat tube barrier..

IMG_2800.JPG
IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2802.JPG
IMG_2803.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG

RickS

Sep 30, 2018
Wrexham
Thanks very much for that (y)
Why, why, why would anyone put holes/gaps in a motor casing directly in line with a turning rear wheel......
Where did they think the water, mud, stones, pine needles, leaves and anything else would go that is attached to a spinning rear wheel :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: this is truly unbelievable and really annoying....
@Specialized Rider Care, could you comment on this please?
Totally agree with you 100%..my main concern is why the 2018 levo had the cover and they forgot it on the 2019 version..look out guys the 2020 version, they may forget the brakes:unsure:

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Its not only the 2019 FSR that have a severe design flaw with regards to direct access into the motor area, take a closer look at my wife's 2019 HT. Now see that's a BIG hole directly into the holy grail and at the worst possible location just in front of the rear wheel. I know it is a very hask statement but I must say that there are a few Specialized engineers that should look for another job - A 10 year old can see that this is just to wait for a disaster to happen, the next 6 months here in Denmark is a good combination of mud, debris and snow and I have no idea how this poor motor is going to survive that treatment:(

Levo HT 2019.jpg

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
the company I work for is a small Danish outfit with only four or five staff, we build an electronically controlled underwater breathing apparatus that works perfectly without leaking in depths up to 300m. If we can do that why can't the mighty Spesh just design a motor cover that keeps the rain and mud out!!!!
Unbelievable!!

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Its not only the 2019 FSR that have a severe design flaw with regards to direct access into the motor area, take a closer look at my wife's 2019 HT. Now see that's a BIG hole directly into the holy grail and at the worst possible location just in front of the rear wheel. I know it is a very hask statement but I must say that there are a few Specialized engineers that should look for another job - A 10 year old can see that this is just to wait for a disaster to happen, the next 6 months here in Denmark is a good combination of mud, debris and snow and I have no idea how this poor motor is going to survive that treatment:(

View attachment 6950
This is what you can look forward to but on a much bigger scale as the holes are bigger :eek:

2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread - EMTB Forums

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles