2019 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why would they made up something like that?o_O

A completely new feature is the Shuttle Mode which can be enabled through the Mission Control App. Enable it and rather than the usual torque based assistance, the motor provides power based on your cadence. That will be especially useful for less fit riders because the full power of the motor is delivered with a lower pedalling input. Simply put: at higher cadences (from around 60 rpm) the full power of the motor is used without having to pedal at 200 W.

Why do you even need Shuttle mode?
If you can't pedal 150w-200W on a climb, than you will get little less boost, no big deal.
This sounds a lot like what Boost on a shimano motor does if set to max assist.
I have always had boost on mine set to max.
at my local DH venue I can soft pedal (barely trying at well less thsn 200w) at a fairly high cadence all the way up the fire road climbs staying at just below the 15mph assist cut off.
Why WOULDN'T you want this?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think what it does is enable full boost even if in your normal settings you haven’t got the boost maxed out.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
This sounds a lot like what Boost on a shimano motor does if set to max assist.
I have always had boost on mine set to max.
at my local DH venue I can soft pedal (barely trying at well less thsn 200w) at a fairly high cadence all the way up the fire road climbs staying at just below the 15mph assist cut off.
Why WOULDN'T you want this?
I do want this, but so far no one (other than the Specialized) has confirmed that the Shuttle Mode actually does what is claimed for it.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Why would they made up something like that?o_O

A completely new feature is the Shuttle Mode which can be enabled through the Mission Control App. Enable it and rather than the usual torque based assistance, the motor provides power based on your cadence. That will be especially useful for less fit riders because the full power of the motor is delivered with a lower pedalling input. Simply put: at higher cadences (from around 60 rpm) the full power of the motor is used without having to pedal at 200 W.

Why do you even need Shuttle mode?
If you can't pedal 150w-200W on a climb, than you will get little less boost, no big deal.
Well I have no quads in my left leg; so I can only pedal with one leg.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
And they've claimed this in writing?
Take your (not quite) brand new levo back for a full refund if it doesn't.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Hey Sophie, in another thread in the forum, a specialized representative responded to Rob's post (he couldn't get shuttle mode to work), that there is indeed a bug in the MC software and they hope to get it worked out and get shuttle mode functional within the next week or two.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Hey Sophie, in another thread in the forum, a specialized representative responded to Rob's post (he couldn't get shuttle mode to work), that there is indeed a bug in the MC software and they hope to get it worked out and get shuttle mode functional within the next week or two.
Thanks for that!
I find it interesting that most if not all the reviews talk about shuttle mode - but up to today at least, it doesn't work.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Well I have no quads in my left leg; so I can only pedal with one leg.
When you were asking about starting on a hill I hadn't realised this. My reply about being in an appropriate gear still stands. One thing I'm not sure whether you are aware of or not. If you find you've stopped on a hill (for whatever reason) and find yourself in too high a gear to start off again, walk mode can be very handy to allow you to change gear before remounting the bike. it isn't powerful enough to power the bike while your weight is on it but it will power the bike forwards (unladen) and allow you to change gear while it's turning the chain.
hope this helps

Brezza

Sep 21, 2018
Sydney
But in another thread in this forum, people say the Mission Control App for the new Levo does not work.
If the app doesn't work, and shuttle mode depends on the app; then the shuttle mode probably doesn't work either. I am hoping you or anyone else could confirm whether shuttle mode indeed works?
I used it yesterday. It worked for me. Who is saying it’s not working?

Brezza

Sep 21, 2018
Sydney
But in another thread in this forum, people say the Mission Control App for the new Levo does not work.
If the app doesn't work, and shuttle mode depends on the app; then the shuttle mode probably doesn't work either. I am hoping you or anyone else could confirm whether shuttle mode indeed works?
My suggestion is just get down to a store and ride one. Asking on forums is just drawing on here say. You won’t know unless you simply get on one and ride it. I can tell you how good it is and how powerful shuttle mode is but the nuance is that’s my experience not yours. Just ride one and find out.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada

So you turned on "shuttle mode" via the Mission Control app I presumed, and it worked?
I have learned that at least 1 member apparently in this community tried but could not make the shuttle mode work.

And up until your post above (thanks for responding!); you are the first and only person who can confirm to me (and others who are interested) shuttle mode indeed works.
Thanks again mate - as they say in England, Australia too? :)

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
So you turned on "shuttle mode" via the Mission Control app I presumed, and it worked?
I have learned that at least 1 member apparently in this community tried but could not make the shuttle mode work.
And up until your post above (thanks for responding!); you are the first and only person who can confirm to me (and others who are interested) shuttle mode indeed works.

If there is indeed a bug in software for the shuttle mode they will fix it soon or a leter. If Brezza said that it is working, than they probably already fix the shuttle mode. This is no big deal for software engineers to fix in a day.
You shouldn't be worrying on a simple things like that. Sorry to hear about your quads, but I presume you still have some power in the other leg and ride the bike without the shuttle all the time? I have a guy in local club, that some other guys can barely keep up with him on a climb and he uses only one leg to power a road bike. Have to admire him and you for that (y)

Brezza

Sep 21, 2018
Sydney

I believe Aussies have trademarked “mate” but the queens English in Australia is “maaaaaate”.
IMO shuttle mode is a bit redundant. Just set turbo to 100% on all options and you are good. Seriously this thing is powerful enough in turbo mode on default. Just my 2 Aussie cents

Brezza

Sep 21, 2018
Sydney
I believe Aussies have trademarked “mate” but the queens English in Australia is “maaaaaate”.
IMO shuttle mode is a bit redundant. Just set turbo to 100% on all options and you are good. Seriously this thing is powerful enough in turbo mode on default. Just my 2 Aussie cents
Just checked it again and can confirm it’s works

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018

Also posted in the Mission Control section, please see below for a description of what Shuttle mode is. We're proud of it - it works well and there are no known bugs.

1537780663980.png

IMPORTANT: When we started production some months ago the available motor firmware did not support Shuttle mode - hence each bike needs a firmware update by the retailer prior to hand-over. This firmware update greatly improves walk-assist, and activates the shuttle mode & acceleration response features within Mission Control. Whilst we did all we could to ensure retailers understood the importance of this firmware update, it could be that one or two bikes left stores without it.

You can tell if your bike has had the firmware update or not by checking the display and motor firmware in Mission Control, display firmware should be 19b and motor firmware 6.1.0. If you are seeing 13a and 6.0.0 or 6.0.1 respectively, please contact your retailer and ask them to get your bike updated. Takes approx 5 mins.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Also posted in the Mission Control section, please see below for a description of what Shuttle mode is. We're proud of it - it works well and there are no known bugs.

View attachment 5493

IMPORTANT: When we started production some months ago the available motor firmware did not support Shuttle mode - hence each bike needs a firmware update by the retailer prior to hand-over. This firmware update greatly improves walk-assist, and activates the shuttle mode & acceleration response features within Mission Control. Whilst we did all we could to ensure retailers understood the importance of this firmware update, it could be that one or two bikes left stores without it.

You can tell if your bike has had the firmware update or not by checking the display and motor firmware in Mission Control, display firmware should be 19b and motor firmware 6.1.0. If you are seeing 13a and 6.0.0 or 6.0.1 respectively, please contact your retailer and ask them to get your bike updated. Takes approx 5 mins.
can that motor firmware be applied to the 1.3 motor?

Gatano

Sep 8, 2018
Italy
@Specialized Rider Care

Can you confirm that the new optional display is backward compatible with older levos?

It's confirmed by their documentation, as a side note, instead of this display, they should have done some stronger collaboration with Garmin as they did with Brose, a full Mission Control version for Garmin devices (smartwatches included not just bicycle computers) will be a killer feature and keeping it open so we could also have a Blevo version on a Garmin, that's the way Specialized could and should keep competitors at a distance, If they don't do at some point others will and they could go behind where they are still ahead at the moment, the bike handling is extremely important and on the new models is very good, but the SW part is extremely important too, it's an E-bike, we should never forget the part that makes the "E" component a better bike, this little display, while useful to some, will not have a WOW factor for most buyers.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
can that motor firmware be applied to the 1.3 motor?
No, sorry - firmware is motor specific. Additionally, the shuttle mode feature is only available on the 2019 Levo (with Brose 2.1 motor) - none of the previous Brose motors will support it.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
ok what about acceleration response we used to have it then you took it away, now it seems to be back, will that work on 1.3 motors like it used to?

Gatano

Sep 8, 2018
Italy
ok what about acceleration response we used to have it then youb took it away, now it seems to be back, will that work on 1.3 motors like it used to?
I want to guess here, on the previous generation you had to turn off and on the bike to enable that changes, on the new one you don't so the features is only available on 2019 models, I'm I wrong?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
not with acc response you didnt it was just a slider in mc like to power and assist

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So on the same noise level as say the Bosch?
No, it's only when in a certain zone, like on a hill at a certain RPM. I'd say the range is from almost silent to pretty noisy. On the London to Brighton ride on Saturday, folks in front could clearly hear me approaching them. My 2018 Comp Carbon Levo that a friend was riding was super stealthy.

It's likely that the increased noise is due to the new material (magnesium instead of aluminium) and the change in the frame design (reduced internal mounts etc to dampen noise).

To me it's worth it though. The increased power vs the 2018 is noticeable. At the end of the London to Brighton there's a pretty steep incline (Ditchling?). Me and my mate (on the 2018) had 2 batteries each and we had enough to turbo to the top at the end of the 75 mile ride. He's fit, slightly lighter than me and has been training for the ride (we originally were going to do it on regular bikes, but I wanted to do it on my new bike!). I was able to put huge distance over him on Turbo on that ascent.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles