2019 Motor Distance/Failure Survey

AndyActual

May 24, 2018
UK
Purchased a Specialized Turbo Levo 2018 from Evans Cycles Apr 18. 1st motor lasted roughly a year and a half, approx. 1000miles. The most annoying factor is that it took Evans Cycles over 2 months to replace it. Under 2 months of use and the 2nd motor is now very noisy and have just emailed Evans to start a warranty claim again.

Additionally, I have had warranty claims for a snapped rear axle and a motor housing cover bolt replacement, however Specialized rejected a claim for a snapped battery bracket. All took a long time to resolve with Evans Cycles.

Firstly, I am hoping the new Kenevo will be more robust, secondly I will not be purchasing anything from Evans again.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Vitus E-Sommett, Shimano e8000, just under 2000 miles and motor has died - currently 2 months into the warranty process, now direct with Shimano as CRC did not respond to claim for 5 weeks.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
CRC did not respond to claim for 5 weeks.

I always felt that with all the positive comments you and Gary put on here about the E-Sommet, that between you, you were probably responsible for a large percentage of their sales. For some reason I thought you'd both receive VIP treatment from CRC. But obviously not .. unless this is the VIP treatment :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Added @Gary 's E7000 failure .. The first one .. Celebrity status ! Shimano will be sending you a free E7000 motor with special re-cycled plastic bearings as your reward.

It appears that the general consensus is that all e-bike motors are a bit lacking on the longevity front. Whilst hardly any have been added on here, sadly, you only need to read the threads to see that there is no single motor which is immune to random failure.

So on that note .. there's not really any point in updating the totals anymore.

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
My '19 Levo blew up @ 4 months/1200 miles in. Sounded like a box of rocks. Luckily was only about a mile from an alt park exit, but six miles from home. Son and truck to the rescue. First time ever for the rescue of shame....boo...

Major back order on motors apparently. 10 days later I have a whole new bike..no questions asked. Was just about to change the chain, cassette and brakes. Lol

Say what you will, but that's taking care of business on their end. (y)
How did u get a full bike, I’d have thought they just replaced the motor from another bike

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
My Yamaha is now at 3,770 kms without any 911 call.
It is a good thing. I do not have a phone.
Please put it in the chart it will be my last accomplishment i do.
As a reward 2 u i will not visit your country even if i speak the language and occasionaly enjoy the wine/cheese.

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
These failure rates are amazing, and totally put me off paying a huge chunk of money for an ebike. I don't like being reliant on a warranty.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I thought the Tandem was the first pedal assist system. The e-bike was just a step along the road for people with no super fit friends who were willing to help them up hills.

When I had a tandem
I thought the Tandem was the first pedal assist system. The e-bike was just a step along the road for people with no super fit friends who were willing to help them up hills.

What do you mean assist? With my tween daughter stoking I put my feet up on the downtube of my old tandem to show the neighbors that she was doing all the work.

By the way, my Yamaha PW-SE-powered bike is now up to 2500 miles failure-free; 2/3 of that commuting and 1/3 trail riding. 60 miles per week. Knocks on wood.

It’s a little bit disconcerting seeing the failures that you’ve documented so far; it’s almost like eBikes are still a science experiment.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
It’s a little bit disconcerting seeing the failures that you’ve documented so far; it’s almost like eBikes are still a science experiment.

Do not be disco'd! Life is a science experiment. Things break but if you choose wisely & accept some electrons on the fritz from time to time then you'll begin to realise all the benefits that accumulate despite the occasional pit-stop.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
When I had a tandem

What do you mean assist? With my tween daughter stoking I put my feet up on the downtube of my old tandem to show the neighbors that she was doing all the work.

By the way, my Yamaha PW-SE-powered bike is now up to 2500 miles failure-free; 2/3 of that commuting and 1/3 trail riding. 60 miles per week. Knocks on wood.

I guess you might have a 2017? Mine is close to you. I read about one over 20,000 kms still on original battery but the french guy refused to put it on his chart. Oh la la ,,,
Just imagine the next gen, flying bikes better choose the right 1

Noobster

Aug 12, 2019
Yorkshire
My bike arrived 5 days ago. Do I need to register it for any warranty purposes or will the retail company (CRC) have all the details and proof they need of purchase.

Craig27

Aug 22, 2019
Scotland
2 months and around 800 miles...torque sensor fault,intermittent at first but permanent after a few days...motor repaired or replaced then 250 miles later...E010 fault code...worked again briefly after a reset but only once!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
These failure rates are amazing, and totally put me off paying a huge chunk of money for an ebike. I don't like being reliant on a warranty.
It is interesting seeing such a high failure rate as I know people that have done thousands of miles trouble free. I am guessing however that UK/Europe conditions are perhaps a bit damper than where my buddies are. Saying that, I think the quality of waterproofing on these things is shite. Any half-ass engineer could do a better job.
However, after talking to a Shimano tech recently he was saying a large number of their warranty issues are poor assembly. He advised me to drop the motor, check all connections and make sure they have been 'waterproofed'. Didn't need to as my LBS wrapped connectors with tape and also checked a few other areas before they handed the Scott to me. Will check my Levo though.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I guess you might have a 2017? Mine is close to you. I read about one over 20,000 kms still on original battery but the french guy refused to put it on his chart. Oh la la ,,,
Just imagine the next gen, flying bikes better choose the right 1

My Haibike is a 2018 closeout. I’m still waiting for my flying car / bike but the eBike is the next best thing.

bobdivot

Apr 9, 2019
Southern California
How did u get a full bike, I’d have thought they just replaced the motor from another bike
I dunno, that's what they offered and I of course obliged. Was able to go from a L to M too. The large was fine but the medium is a bit more nimble.

Motor slightly quieter and down shifts less harsh. I'll run this beast until the next gen comes out. The motors should just get better...in theory...

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Specialized is giving me a full refund on 2020 turbo levo s work after my fourth Brose s mag died (3 belt failures one sprague clutch), I must have filled out the survey WRONG, I've lost more motors than the entire survey indicates? I agree with the economic view that some percentage of failures is to be expected and Turbo Levo could be largest selling e bike on the market, however the myth hasn't been dispelled personally. I do fit into the category of someone who rides technically hard trails many days a week in turbo all the time, I'm 65 and just don't have legs for trail and eco. I lost one motor on my 2016 Turbo Levo, but was over year when it was finally acknowledge that there was known defect in the motor. I'm holding my breath for the same acknowledgment on the S mag. What I expect however is a splashy announcement for the "All New" Brose motor.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I have just put this on another post but would like to repeat and expand on this a little:

It is my business to fix ebike motors. I eat sleep and breath motors and that's all I do! I supply parts and fix Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Impulse, Panasonic etc. I can tell you that they all do what they do and they do it well. I would be a lot busier and a lot richer if they all failed as much as you would believe by reading forums.

It is true that some motors are definitely better than others, but that's not an argument for me to get into. Many people ask what motor I would recommend? I say just buy the bike you like/want and enjoy it. Look after your motor and it should look after you.

It may also come as some surprise that most failed motors I see under 10,000 miles or 16,000Km have not failed through any fault of the motor manufacturer. Generally it's a stripped gear or broken belt from a pedal strike or more commonly water ingress (Yes, i agree, they should be better seals and the manufacturers and we are working hard on that).
On the plus side, I see many motors with with 30,000Km's on the clock and still going strong.

Interestingly, I also see motors from all over the world, dry countries, wet countries, hot countries and cold countries, so we are building a big understanding of what affects which motors in what way. It is a shame that the press and manufacturers aren't really interested in talking to us? We have a wealth of information to give.

I will get around to doing a full video on this one day but need to ensure all facts are as correct as possible with as much real evidence as I can gather.

Of course if your motor does fail you can find me at www.performancelinebearings.com

downhilllister

Dec 26, 2019
nelson new zealand
Focus Jam 6.8 1600 KM.no problems.Maintenace for this KM's has been Two Chains,Three sets rear wheel bearings Two sets of front brake pads, 4 X service.No probems. Next Bearing replacment will be much better quality bearings.!! .But i do wish Focus would sort out the Assists backing off in Trail mode when going up the Track,Have to stop and start peddling.Otherwise so far so good.:)

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
Yamaha PX (Haibike Hard 7) nearly 5 years old 1500km with no issues. Likewise for the 400wh Battery.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That's 300KM a year! Even I can't kill a motor that quickly!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles