Levo Gen 2 2019 Levo belt failed

Paramaniac

Aug 9, 2020
Canada
So it seams that the belt has failed on my levo at 1,600 km. Took it to the specialized shop and was tolled that there is no such thing as a 4 year warranty (in Canada/North America). Also warranty only applies to the original owner, since I got my used (260 km when I purchased it) I have no warranty period. It gets even better than that, the only option is to replace the entire motor $$$. Wish I had known that, would never have purchase a specialized product and it will be the last one I own.

Any way/place I can get a new belt so I can replace it myself? :mad:

Last edited:

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Warranty applies to first and second owner for 2 years from the original purchase date

All 2019/2020 Levo's now have a 4 year warranty from the the original date of purchase on the motor only to give riders peace of mind that if they do suffer the known belt failure in that time then it will be fixed

I take it you are in the States? email Specialized USA and explain your situation and name the shop, at best Spesh will get on to them, at worst when Spesh confirm you are entitled to 4 years motor warranty you can show the shop this email

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
So it seams that the belt has failed on my levo at 1,600 km. Took it to the specialized shop and was tolled that there is no such thing as a 4 year warranty (in Canada/North America). Also warranty only applies to the original owner, since I got my used (260 km when I purchased it) I have no warranty period. It gets even better than that, the only option is to replace the entire motor $$$. Wish I had known that, would never have purchase a specialized product and it will be the last one I own.

Any way/place I can get a new belt so I can replace it myself? :mad:
Show them this official Specialized document for warranty extension for 2019/20 Turbo Levo & 2020 Kenevo. This extension is global so it doesn't matter where you live, also it is transferable to the next owner of the bike ...

Attachments

• Specialized 2.1 Rider Communication July 2020.pdf
    568.3 KB · Views: 275

Paramaniac

Aug 9, 2020
Canada
@Specialized Rider Care sounds like one for you.

Presumably an out of touch shop.
Yap, they are not a nice customer oriented shop. You always leave that place with a bad feeling and quite often they make you feel like it's your fault when something goes wrong. Before I moved here last year, I had a problem with the flip wire harness that connects to the battery, and the local shop there had no issue with doing the repair under warranty and never mentioned anything about the warranty only applying to the original owner. Unfortunately that shop is 400 km away and I don't want to have to travel 800 km round trip just to get my bike serviced. Like would have to do the trip twice given that they would have to get the parts first.

The LBS in question called Specialized while I was there and both specialized and the shop head never heard of the 4 year warranty. I'm in Vernon, BC. Canada if that makes any difference, which it should not as per the attached document.

Last edited:

Paramaniac

Aug 9, 2020
Canada
OK, thanks. I just emailed specialized rider care so I'll wait to see what they say 1st.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:

Paramaniac

Aug 9, 2020
Canada
OK, thanks. I just emailed specialized rider care so I'll wait to see what they say 1st.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ok got this back from Specialized in Canada:

"There is a 4 years warranty on all Levo's gen 2 (2019-2020 ) for all the original owners.
For second owners they get a 2 years warranty if the bike was bought originally after 2019
"

It does not specify when the 2 year warranty starts for 2nd owners: from the original purchase date or when I got it? If it is from the original purchase date than I'm screwed. My wife has the same bike, ya got to wonder when it will go?

Funny the kind of games bike manufactures play with the warranty/owner thing. When you buy a car it don't matter what sequence of owner you are as long as it is within the warranty period, it's covered. When I did my research before buying an ebike, that never came up in all the reviews, YouTube channels like EMTB, etc. Over and over, it was mentioned that these motors are built to last tenths of thousands of kms.

addendum:
I just went back and read the letter from Specialized again and it very clearly says that the warranty extension to 4 years applies to subsequent owners. I missed that on the 1st read. So why is the LBS saying no warranty at all, and Specialized Canada saying 2 years only to 2nd owner? Are they messing with me or am I missing something here? What the hell is going on!

Last edited:

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
It's definitely 4 years as per the doc attached above. Here's a thread with specialized rider care also if you haven't seen it.

Miru

Oct 23, 2020
Romania
How is it even possible that random customers know about this stuff by reading on a random non "affiliated" Specialized forum and certified Specialized dealers have absolutely no clue about this? Mind blowing...

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
FWIW I sold my 2020 Levo recently and as a responsible seller wanted to make sure the buyer had warranty and double checked with my LBS that I'd purchased it from. My LBS was aware of it but not the details and looked it up. It took them less than a minute to confirm it. So these other stores are lazy, or don't know where to look up information.

Paramaniac

Aug 9, 2020
Canada
How is it even possible that random customers know about this stuff by reading on a random non "affiliated" Specialized forum and certified Specialized dealers have absolutely no clue about this? Mind blowing...
Well that makes me wonder what is really going on? When I took it to the dealer, he called specialized right in front of me, and from what I was able to overhear, they verified his story that there was no warranty for second owner. I was aware of the 4 year warranty extension at the time, so I mentioned it, and they claimed to never have heard of it nor did specialized.

I than emailed specialized ride care and they said that there was a 2 year warranty for 2nd owner, but not the 4. I than sent them the letter from Mike Sinyard and than they came back with that there is a 2 year but that the letter is correct which left me confused. The other interesting thing is that in late 2019 the wiring harness that connects the battery to the motor failed and I took it to another dealer where I lived at the time and they submitted a warranty claim without any issues. I did call the same shop I'm dealing with now at that time as we were in the process of moving, and they said that there was no warranty for 2nd owner. So one shop had no problem with doing warranty work while this one does. I'm wondering at this point what is going on since I've gotten 3 different stories. So when this dealer replaces the motor and charges the owner the full amount, what do they do submit it for a warranty claim? Not saying that's what they do, but it does make you wonder? And the confusion within specialized is also disconcerting that I would have to provide them with a copy of their own policy? This is rather bazar, but we'll see where it all leads...

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Well that makes me wonder what is really going on? When I took it to the dealer, he called specialized right in front of me, and from what I was able to overhear, they verified his story that there was no warranty for second owner. I was aware of the 4 year warranty extension at the time, so I mentioned it, and they claimed to never have heard of it nor did specialized.

I than emailed specialized ride care and they said that there was a 2 year warranty for 2nd owner, but not the 4. I than sent them the letter from Mike Sinyard and than they came back with that there is a 2 year but that the letter is correct which left me confused. The other interesting thing is that in late 2019 the wiring harness that connects the battery to the motor failed and I took it to another dealer where I lived at the time and they submitted a warranty claim without any issues. I did call the same shop I'm dealing with now at that time as we were in the process of moving, and they said that there was no warranty for 2nd owner. So one shop had no problem with doing warranty work while this one does. I'm wondering at this point what is going on since I've gotten 3 different stories. So when this dealer replaces the motor and charges the owner the full amount, what do they do submit it for a warranty claim? Not saying that's what they do, but it does make you wonder? And the confusion within specialized is also disconcerting that I would have to provide them with a copy of their own policy? This is rather bazar, but we'll see where it all leads...

2 year is the official transferrable warranty for any bike. 4 years is special and only applies to 2019/2020

ockevin

Apr 24, 2020
Buena Park, CA
@Specialized Rider Care I just went through hell with Rock and Road Cyclery in Anaheim, CA. I am the second owner of my 2019 Turbo Levo and the motor failed with less than 1k miles. I was told that Specialized would not warranty the motor due to not being the original owner and not having the original receipt. I only have the Paypal receipt and they said it was not from an authorized shop and they would not cover it. I am very disappointed in the service from Specialized and Rock and Road. The motor is a known problem and should be covered under warranty.

Kevin
[email protected]

Jilleride45

Nov 2, 2018
USA
@Specialized Rider Care I just went through hell with Rock and Road Cyclery in Anaheim, CA. I am the second owner of my 2019 Turbo Levo and the motor failed with less than 1k miles. I was told that Specialized would not warranty the motor due to not being the original owner and not having the original receipt. I only have the Paypal receipt and they said it was not from an authorized shop and they would not cover it. I am very disappointed in the service from Specialized and Rock and Road. The motor is a known problem and should be covered under warranty.

Kevin
[email protected]

The purchase date information should be recorded with specialized when the bike is sold. Sounds like Rock and Road is just messing with you because they do not want to help.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa

Kevin
[email protected]

That sucks. Try another dealer. Also do you know the original store the bike was purchased from and is it local? They usually have records. My LBS has all records of my purchases. Or even if they are not local you could try contacting them.

This is looking like a real ClusterF*** for specialized having done it in good will with motor issues and it not living up to expectation either because of lack of communication or commitment via dealers.

ockevin

Apr 24, 2020
Buena Park, CA
Thats the tough part, I bought the bike on Pink Bike from a dealer, but he was not the one who originally sold it. He is a reseller of used bikes. Specialized would not help me on the original owner. I have my receipt for the paypal transaction for the bike and the $3900 I spent on it, but they would not stand behind the warranty of a well know problem.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Thats the tough part, I bought the bike on Pink Bike from a dealer, but he was not the one who originally sold it. He is a reseller of used bikes. Specialized would not help me on the original owner. I have my receipt for the paypal transaction for the bike and the $3900 I spent on it, but they would not stand behind the warranty of a well know problem.

That may be the problem, because technically you are the 3rd owner unless the pink bike reseller consigned it. Although there is nothing in the original verbiage that says it cant be transferred more Than once. If you dont have the receipt then by The original statement by specialized you are technically not covered.

Paramaniac

Aug 9, 2020
Canada
There's something fishy going on with Specialized. Not sure if the dealers are the problem or specialized or both. There are so many inconsistencies within that organization. Having spent many years in the corporate world, I would guess that the issue is management right from the top.

I'm certain that specialized has all the data about each bike that they produce, where, when, components, etc. and also where it was sold by whom, etc. I'm wondering if given the current shortage of bikes, they feel they can get away with this kind of shenanigans, like most corporations it's all about current quarter profits (short term mentality), but what they don't get it that this demand for bikes will end and when the lean times come, people will remember how they treat their customers.

As these bikes age more and more of them are going to fail and there will be lots of people with very expensive repairs and no one is going to buy a used specialized ebike as these problems become more known. Had I known what I know now, I would never have purchased a used Levo, and probably not a new one either. When you purchase a car, the warranty is independent of who owns it and the manufacturer has all the information, all that is needed is the VIN.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles