2.2 tires

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
In my opinion, 2.2 is too narrow. 2.5 WT or 2.6 is better. But if you only ride tarmac or fire roads, then it's a different story

Last edited:

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
that's an XC width and you'll get a very square profile on the 29mm ID rims. you're also starting to squander the benefits of having a motor to assist you... which is you can build the bike burlier than if you were pedalling it.

Trout74

Jul 25, 2019
Iowa
that's an XC width and you'll get a very square profile on the 29mm ID rims. you're also starting to squander the benefits of having a motor to assist you... which is you can build the bike burlier than if you were pedalling it.

yeah i was wondering if that was the case. So 2.5 - 2.6 is what I really want?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Take a look at these:
29x2.5" Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR (weight 1016gm)

Brilliant tyre front or rear (I have it on both ends, much, much better than the Maxxis Rekon 2.6" the bike came with originally.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They're just tyres.

2.2s used to win DH world cups.
The tracks were actually gnarlier back then too

Emtbs don't need wider or stronger tyres. clumsy people and absolute pinners do.

Trout74

Jul 25, 2019
Iowa
Just finished 10 miles on dry loose dirt and hard pack and these stock tires are just fine. It’s just super freaking fun, I love it!!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
They're just tyres.

2.2s used to win DH world cups.
The tracks were actually gnarlier back then too

Emtbs don't need wider or stronger tyres. clumsy people and absolute pinners do.

:eek:

When I was a young, budding motocrosser my dad had 2 sayings ...
"Pin it to win it" and "If you don't crash occasionally you are not going fast enough"

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
"If you don't crash occasionally you are not going fast enough"

I have tested this theory extensively and have a library of x-rays to back it up. No more.

(Actually, a major component of being a successful athlete is not getting injured).

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
During the wet muddy Danish winter I run narrow tires on my Levo. A narrow tire have a better ability to dig into the mud and get grip whereas a wider tire will float on top and slide around. A 2.2 or 2.3 tire is perfectly ok on an emtb.

Karsten

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
clumsy people and absolute pinners do

This is just so me :)

At least I know I have the right tyres !

Rode my first FS bike briefly yesterday. Someone was kind enough to let me try their Capra (which was very brave with my crash record - measured in impacts per KM). It had those silly skinny street race tyres on (anything not a 27.5+) , ok, high rollers. The precision and directness was quite shocking, even in my inept hands. I think I prefer my big squidgy reality filters.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles