Levo Gen 3 170mm fork on 2022 Levo - Tech question for the Gravity Crowd

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Hey All

Well I am now riding the "Big S" after buying a 2022 Levo Turbo Pro. Previously spent 2 years on a YT Decoy that "had" significant DH capabilities over the Levo .. until now .. the tables have turned. :unsure:

After the first couple rides on the new Levo, all I can say is WOW, this bike is epic. Great job Specialized.

I am still waiting for the (-1/+1) cup as it was not included with my bike (should be here shortly) .. so I am riding the low chainstay setting (of course) with the center headset cup.

So looking for some input from those who ride this bike in the -1 degree HA and low BB position. If you are riding in this setting, your NOT doing casual trail rides (I certainly hope - lol). So my question is based towards the "gravity group" of riders as I could care less about climbing (heck I would shuttle an e-bike on the back of a truck :cool:)

For those that use the -1 degree offset cup AND lower BB for the drool worthy 63 degree HA, here is my question.

To maintain close to design geometry (lets forget about the chainstay setting) , "in theory" to use a -1 degree offset cup, you would raise the front end of the bike by 10mm, to offset the front end drop and BB drop that occurs via slackening the head angle. This can easily be accomplished by the addition of a 170 air spring (vs the stock 160) in the fork.

For those who are riding the lowest setting (front and back), did you end up installing a 170 air spring to compensate for the additional front end drop to maintain the same geo as the stock geo setting using low BB out back?

Curious to hear peoples feedback who have installed a 170mm fork and/or air spring?

Cheers

goodaa

Feb 11, 2021
UK
Yeah I’m interested too - has anyone stuck a 170mm on the 2022 Levo? I’m thinking about replacing the 38s with some 170 Zebs.

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Having the zeb on front i am only waiting for a shock with 57.5-60mm travel at 210mm (which is not available actually) to upgrade to 170/160.
But 170on front with 29" and 150 in the rear could be to asymmetric i think.

- I already thought about modifying a 216x63mm shock to 212x60 with offset bushings or a custom yoke.

But i'm also interested about one's experience with 170mm on front 👍

Greets,

Chris

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
I have just picked up a 22 Expert and have been thinking of doing the exactly the same thing.
Has anyone on here tried going to 170mm on the fork yet?

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
I was thinking to do the same if Cascade Components makes a new linkage for this generation Levo. They usually also increase the travel by a bit by adding some progression on the rear. Until that moment, I keep it original, after this, I will change the air spring in the Fox 38 to raise the travel to 170.

This is for the "old" Levo :)

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Yes, I run mine with a 170 fork & in the slack/low setting.

The stack height is fairly low on the Levo anyway, so I compensate it with some slightly higher rise bars to get my bar height to my usual preference.

whilst in the slack setting the bike is slack for sure, it’s not actually that low at all, even when in low, which is something to consider.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Yes, I run mine with a 170 fork & in the slack/low setting.

The stack height is fairly low on the Levo anyway, so I compensate it with some slightly higher rise bars to get my bar height to my usual preference.

whilst in the slack setting the bike is slack for sure, it’s not actually that low at all, even when in low, which is something to consider.
Any issues at all Hob Nob. Still climb ok?

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Nope, none. Personally with an ebike you can mask a whole lot of geometry issues because it has a motor, but the Levo is pretty good all round, bar the slightly tall BB height (IMO).

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
I was thinking to do the same if Cascade Components makes a new linkage for this generation Levo. They usually also increase the travel by a bit by adding some progression on the rear. Until that moment, I keep it original, after this, I will change the air spring in the Fox 38 to raise the travel to 170.

This is for the "old" Levo :)
hi, i asked cascade components via email if they intend to make a link for the levo 22, but at the moment, they don't plan it, i hope they produce it instead, i would buy it immediately

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Nope, none. Personally with an ebike you can mask a whole lot of geometry issues because it has a motor, but the Levo is pretty good all round, bar the slightly tall BB height (IMO).
I don't suppose you have the correct part number I need to order.

I've seen two airshafts mentioned and there is a £50 difference between them so want to make sure I get the right one.

One is a standard airshaft and the other is an evol airshaft??

Thanks.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
They are currently working on it! :D
Now that is a great x-mass gift :)

Together with a 170MM air cartridge for the forks, and enduro it is! I had the Stumpy Evo of 2019(RAW), and did the same type of modification. Made the bike pretty epic tbh :cool: From 150 Rear to 150, and front from 150 to 170 🤘

Mike640

Dec 10, 2021
Portugal - Sintra
Yesterday I tried for the first time the Zeb with 170mm, and as I thought, it's very, very good! :D But the bike was a little unbalanced, as the rear can't handle very well the extra speed that the 170mm allows at the front. Does anyone know, if it is possible to mount a 210x60 shock without any issues?

Mike640

Dec 10, 2021
Portugal - Sintra
Now that is a great x-mass gift :)

Together with a 170MM air cartridge for the forks, and enduro it is! I had the Stumpy Evo of 2019(RAW), and did the same type of modification. Made the bike pretty epic tbh :cool: From 150 Rear to 150, and front from 150 to 170 🤘

Screenshot_20211215-002641_Instagram.jpg

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Hopefully the new cascade link wont make the suspension much progressive.

Ive been running my fox 38 at 170mm for a month or so now and have to say the bike feels much better for it. Whilst changing the airshaft I also removed 2 of the volume spacers that were fitted and its helped the fork massively. Much better at tracking the ground.

killjoyken

Mar 10, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Hopefully the new cascade link wont make the suspension much progressive.

But that's exactly what their links do. I have one on my 2021 Stumpjumper Evo and it's fantastic, especially with an X2. Can't wait to get one for my Levo.

I actually talked to them at Sea Otter this year and they told me the only reason they hadn't made one was because they couldn't get a Levo to build a prototype on. They offered me a free prototype and production link if they could use my bike. I almost loaned them mine until I looked up return shipping.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
But that's exactly what their links do. I have one on my 2021 Stumpjumper Evo and it's fantastic, especially with an X2. Can't wait to get one for my Levo.

I actually talked to them at Sea Otter this year and they told me the only reason they hadn't made one was because they couldn't get a Levo to build a prototype on. They offered me a free prototype and production link if they could use my bike. I almost loaned them mine until I looked up return shipping.
Isn't the gen 3 levo to progressive anyway ?

I feel it is for my riding tomorrow and struggle to use full travel even if I set the sag a lot more. That implies it ramps up quite a lot toward the end of its stroke.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Isn't the gen 3 levo to progressive anyway ?

I feel it is for my riding tomorrow and struggle to use full travel even if I set the sag a lot more. That implies it ramps up quite a lot toward the end of its stroke.

It’s supposedly 19% (same as the Stumpy Evo). So in short, no, it’s really not very progressive, at all.

Not progressive enough IMO, easy to bottom out for faster riders, and already needs a high spring rate.

The trouble with CC links is they tend to increase travel too, which means an even higher spring rate, on a design with a high leverage ratio already, is equally as undesirable.

Personally, I think they should have spec’d it with a bigger shock in the first place.

killjoyken

Mar 10, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
What I've noticed on my Evo was that the stock link would blow through the travel and bottom out on jumps and drops (at the recommended sag). I was also getting constant pedal strikes even in the high setting. The Cascade link had more midstroke support and I don't always use full travel. It feels like the extra travel is only used on really big jumps and drops. My stock Levo feels better than my Evo did and I think that may come down to a better factory tune in the X2. I still think the Cascade link will make it even better.

To get back on topic, I haven't felt the need to go to 170mm. I haven't used full travel in the 38 yet. It's really an amazing fork and I actually like it a little more than the Zeb that I have on the Evo. This is the first bike in a long, long time that I haven't upgraded the fork and shock. I put a 170mm Zeb on my 2020 Levo just to slack out the head angle but this 2022 Levo has damn near perfect geometry. I still find the middle/high setting is the best setting for my trails as it keeps the bb high enough for tech climbs. If I ever take it to a bike park I'll probably switch to the slack/low setting but if that's your normal riding conditions then you would be better off waiting for the new Kenevo. I had a 2020 Enduro that would straight line anything you pointed it down but ended up feeling slow and boring on anything that wasn't really steep and crazy.

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Interesting about the "unbalanced" feel. If 170mm front feels unbalanced with 150mm rear, what the guys who ride hardtails can say :ROFLMAO:

I have Merida eone-sixty with 180mm front and 150mm back and it feels absolutely balanced. Legs are much stronger than hands so I think this is absolutely fine to have more travel on the front. The only issue with this configuration is climbing :)

Last edited:

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
Interesting about the "unbalanced" feel. If 170mm front feels unbalanced with 150mm rear, what the guys who ride hardtails can say :ROFLMAO:

I have Merida eone-sixty with 180mm front and 150mm back and it feels absolutely balanced. Legs are much stronger than hands so I think this is absolutely fine to have more travel on the front. The only issue with this configuration is climbing :)
i ride 170 front low and 150 rear high and the levo rails!! S3 178cm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles