Levo Gen 3 Fitting Hope Tech 4 V4 brakes on Turbo Levo

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Hiya, i hope some one can help me with a query i have.
I wish to upgrade my current Sram Code brakes that came stock with my 2022 Turbo Levo comp but a little concerned with the amount of work required to change the rear brake, my local cycle shop who have done lots of my upgrades have said its a real tricky job and the motor/battery would need to be dropped out, they have said its 4+ hours work so will cost almost as much to fit as one of the brake calipers them self, is this correct and have any of you also had this issue?

Many thanks for any help any of you can offer.

RM.SGO

Apr 25, 2020
Danville, CA
4 hours seems quite excessive. I recently swapped a set out myself and think it likely took 3 hours with a full bleed and I’m a shade tree bike mechanic working in my garage. 4 hours (or less) and your can do a full disc and pad job on a full size car!

trx

Dec 5, 2022
Milan
That’s ahem, bullshit. I have a Levo 2022 and straight when new changed the original brakes with Hope tech 4 V4. It’s a super simple job if you know how to work with Hope brakes, I didn’t even had to attach to the original hose as the internal guides work like a charm.
Take out the old hose, disconnect the top olive from the Hope and push it in from the bottom, inside the chainstay. On top of the top tube you can unscrew the battery screen and fish out the hose, then bleed it

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
4 hours seems quite excessive. I recently swapped a set out myself and think it likely took 3 hours with a full bleed and I’m a shade tree bike mechanic working in my garage. 4 hours (or less) and your can do a full disc and pad job on a full size car!
I was thinking that myself tbh, i think i might just take it somewhere else to get done, many thanks for your help.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
That’s ahem, bullshit. I have a Levo 2022 and straight when new changed the original brakes with Hope tech 4 V4. It’s a super simple job if you know how to work with Hope brakes, I didn’t even had to attach to the original hose as the internal guides work like a charm.
Take out the old hose, disconnect the top olive from the Hope and push it in from the bottom, inside the chainstay. On top of the top tube you can unscrew the battery screen and fish out the hose, then bleed it
Many thanks for the response, i will try a different bike mechanic and see if they are more happy to fit these brakes for me, thanks again.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I'd love to but have made some expensive mistakes in the past so would prefer to use a professional.
Good luck finding a 'professional' bike mechanic, rarer than hen's teeth :D

It really is a simple job changing brakes on the Levo though and easily completed by anyone with a little patience and access to you tube.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
And hope brakes can be bled without a bleed kit, doing it the old fashioned car/motorbike way of keeping the reservoir filled with fluid and pumping the lever whilst opening and closing the bleed nipple. All you need is a bit of clear rubber hose and basic tools

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
And hope brakes can be bled without a bleed kit, doing it the old fashioned car/motorbike way of keeping the reservoir filled with fluid and pumping the lever whilst opening and closing the bleed nipple. All you need is a bit of clear rubber hose and basic tools
Thanks for the advice, sounds simple enough.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I wish to upgrade my current Sram Code brakes that came stock with my 2022 Turbo Levo comp but a little concerned with the amount of work required to change the rear brake, my local cycle shop who have done lots of my upgrades have said its a real tricky job and the motor/battery would need to be dropped out, they have said its 4+ hours work so will cost almost as much to fit as one of the brake calipers them self, is this correct and have any of you also had this issue?

I've the same issue(flash new T4 V4, and the LEBS is saying its £50/h, about a 3h job.

Simple solution is to surface mount it. Which is what I'm intending to do.
You get these stick on frame hose clips, and similar which i think stick on,but also fix using zippies.

I think I could probably pull the original hose out, by snipping off the banjo and just pulling at it behind the battery, but I reckon trying to feed through a new hose without dropping the motor might be impossible.

I have the possibility that i can utilize the hole that the shock lockout cable comes through. Surface mount on the rear swing arm, then feed it down into the main part of the frame and up through and out the hole eat the top where the original hose sites. I never use lock out and keep meaning to remove it.

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I've the same issue(flash new T4 V4, and the LEBS is saying its £50/h, about a 3h job.

Simple solution is to surface mount it. Which is what I'm intending to do.
You get these stick on frame hose clips, and similar which i think stick on,but also fix using zippies.

I think I could probably pull the original hose out, by snipping off the banjo and just pulling at it behind the battery, but I reckon trying to feed through a new hose without dropping the motor might be impossible.

Find a different bike store.
The brake hose feeds from one end of the bike to the other with almost zero effort. The motor and battery do not need to be removed.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow

Where are you based? I am sure someone can recommend a decent shop.

sluette

Aug 9, 2022
Deutschland
Swapped the chunky Guide RS directly after receiving my Levo SL against Tech 4 brakes and it took me less 1 hour for both. I assume the Levo has internal cable routing like the Levo SL. It's really simple and as @Spangoolies allready stated, bleading needs no extra tools. Hope brakes are so easy to service, my first choice from mid 90th !

Last edited:

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Swapped out my codes for XTR. Rear brake took 10 minutes to fit plus a bleed. 4 hours is a joke.

Gordon
Thanks for that, really surprised, so far both Evans cycles and Leisure lakes cycles have quoted me 3/4 hours, wondering if they really think that or they are just trying to make more money.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Swapped the chunky Guide RS directly after receiving my Levo SL against Tech 4 brakes and it took me less 1 hour for both. I assume the Levo has internal cable routing like the Levo SL. It's really simple and as @Spangoolies allready stated, bleading needs no extra tools. Hope brakes are so easy to service, my first choice from mid 90th !
Thanks for the reply, seems alot of people saying now that it's a easy job. I live in Cheltenham UK, will see if I can find someone more competent than my local bike shops.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
do you have a specialized concept store nearby or a bike factory?
I just called the chester concept store and they told me between £25-£35 for each brake to fit some hope tech 4's

Last edited:

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
do you have a specialized concept store nearby or a bike factory?
I just called the chester concept store and they told me between £25-£35 for each brake to fit some hope tech 4's
Unfortunately not, both leisure lakes and Evans cycles are Specialized retailers bit both say 3/4 hours

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Thanks for that, really surprised, so far both Evans cycles and Leisure lakes cycles have quoted me 3/4 hours, wondering if they really think that or they are just trying to make more money.
Levos are fully sleeved for hoses and cable from the head tube to the rear stay. No motor drop required. One slides out and the other slides in. Use a hose joiner if you're unsure but I didn't even need that. I just plugged the hose with a spoke nipple so I wouldn't need to do a full bleed.

Gordon

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
The brake hose feeds from one end of the bike to the other with almost zero effort. The motor and battery do not need to be removed.
I suppose when I eventually extract my head out my 4r5e and go to fit them i can see if the old hose moves easily enough. But its where it goes from main frame to swing arm, in that its kind of tight in there.
Plus I paired new tech levers to older(new though) V4's, and was intending to send them to Hope to fit the new S/steel pistons. Hope do the pro bleed and i dont want to have to do that myself as i have been finding issue doing it*

*Normally I'm fine with bleeds, done many types for 2 decades but im finding these a bit tricky for some inexplicable reason. So if Hope do them, i'd rather just stick them on the bike and run them at that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles