16t vs. 18t sprocket question

Rafal

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
Hello, I have 2017 Haibike AllMtn 8 xduro and want to replace the stock 16t sprocket with 18t. The stock has double bash but every 18t I found is either Haibike OEM single bash or 3rd party no bash (so I‘d likely also need Miranda bash/nut piece). Would single bash 18t work or do I need like a spacer to properly centerline the new gear?

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Is yours offset by quite a bit? Mines is, at least 5mm. If so, only OEM Haibike (made by Miranda I presume) or a Miranda one. Not much difference in price the last time I looked.

Or if it fits, use the Miranda chainguard with the std offset sprocket.

Not an easy answer to this one....

Rafal

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland
Is yours offset by quite a bit? Mines is, at least 5mm. If so, only OEM Haibike (made by Miranda I presume) or a Miranda one. Not much difference in price the last time I looked.

Or if it fits, use the Miranda chainguard with the std offset sprocket.

Not an easy answer to this one....
Hello, it is about 5mm indeed. I want to buy Haibike OEM 18t that has single bash. Bash supposed to be on the outside as it is printed. I cannot install with the bash on the inside because the cuts connecting to the Bosch motor shaft are on the other side of the bash, not in the center... It would not work/engage for sure. Maybe it is ok to have a bit lose sprocket moving up to 5mm along the motor shaft, I simply do not know. Somebody must have solved this problem :)

vidwiz

Jun 30, 2020
Az
Funny, I just bought mine, has an 18t, and I want to go to a 16. Ah the humanity...

Trying to understand offset. When I look at the chainring, the motor of course comes first, then working my way outward, there is a bit of the crankshaft exposed which I dont understand what is keeping the chainring from sliding further onto it? (waiting on tools) Then there is a 3mm circular strip on the chainring which I assume is the offset? Then the sprocket itself, then another 5mm strip between it and the guard. Is offset the 3, or the 5, or the 3 plus the exposed shaft or ??? TIA.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Funny, I just bought mine, has an 18t, and I want to go to a 16. Ah the humanity...

Trying to understand offset. When I look at the chainring, the motor of course comes first, then working my way outward, there is a bit of the crankshaft exposed which I dont understand what is keeping the chainring from sliding further onto it? (waiting on tools) Then there is a 3mm circular strip on the chainring which I assume is the offset? Then the sprocket itself, then another 5mm strip between it and the guard. Is offset the 3, or the 5, or the 3 plus the exposed shaft or ??? TIA.
I tried this on my previous Bosch powered Haibike - don't bother because, 1. you'll struggle to notice the difference, 2. the smaller cog with fewer teeth on it wears quicker and can get jammed up easier in winter riding, 3. the offset chainrings aren't cheap.

But hey YMMV ?

Rafal

Jun 22, 2020
Switzerland

Ok, what I have with my 16T is no exposed crankshaft, the sprocket start with inner bash ring, then the sprocket itself, outer bash ring and the big nut with the reversed thread. The chain goes in between the two bash ring obviously. It works very well actually but I still want to try 18t :)

vidwiz

Jun 30, 2020
Az
Thanks, just got the tool to try it myself. I'm anticipating offset problems even with the spacer ring I have.

vidwiz

Jun 30, 2020
Az
Yep, sram chainring i got isn't gonna work, not only will chain hit motor w spacer but even if i could space it out, the part where the splines slide thru would be off the splines.

The crankshaft is terraced which is what stops the ring from sliding in further and why some of it is exposed.

Looked at miranda, they messaged me a recommendation, still seemed a bit questionable, so i just ordered a haibike one that looks correct based on pics and description. was cheaper than miranda anyway but still over a hundred bucks delivered. I have a 2019 nduro 6.0 fwiw.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I have the same problem. My original is a 16 t original sprocket. Changed it to the 20t sprocket from xduro. Now I changed my drivetrain to the ex1 and now my chain rubs against the motor.
Miranda sprocket only has a 16t with a 5mm offset. 3mm in a 20 and 21t.
How can I solve this issue?
20201007_191240.jpg

I want to keep this sprocket as it has the x-sync like my casette. If necessary I can buy another sprocket. Will that 3mm offset be enough?

vidwiz

Jun 30, 2020
Az
Sounds like your chainring has a smaller than stock offset. If it's of any assistance, I have a lightly used 18t with the large offset that should clear your motor that I could sell you.

vidwiz

Jun 30, 2020
Az
Yeah that 20t has essentially zero offset, no wonder it rubs. I geared down to a 16t. The 18t I have should be a 5mm offset.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles