SES Sprocket fix (Sort of)

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hi, I ride an old (2015) Haibike Xduro All Mtn Pro. She has done nearly 6,000 miles and mostly through the dirtiest, nasty, boggy, sandy terrain I could find. I use it more like a tractor than a mountain bike, subsequently, I wear a lot of things out! One thing that got me more than most was the SES sprocket.
I would replace the bearing every 200 miles and I was getting a bit fed-up with it. I tried a simple solution to get more life from the bearings and experimented with getting more use from the sprockets. My last bearing lasted around 1,000 miles, which considering what my bike has to put up with is pretty remarkable!
Please take a look at the attached pdf, I hope it helps or invokes discussion.

Attachments

• SES sprocket bearing.pdf
    640.1 KB · Views: 1,119

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Silicone grease comes in many different forms and is available for bearings, such as Molykote 33. However in this application the SES bearing is under relatively low loads and speeds, in bearing terms. So, a general silicone grease will do the job. You can also use a marine grade bearing grease like trailer bearing grease too. The main objective is to keep the water out.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Just put Haibike SES pulley wheel into google and they will come up. You can do the same with the chainring, but most people ditch the expensive Haibike one in favour of a standard sprocket and a Miranda type sprocket nut/chain guard.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Do you know the exact parts I need to replace the Haibike specific chainring? I’m not massively techie but if I know which parts I can do the rest.
Personally I would use SRAM X-Sync Sprocket for Bosch Motors, you will probably have a 15 tooth sprocket as standard, I use an 18 tooth but the choice is yours.
Then I would fit a Miranda Bosch Drive E-Bike Chainguard. This replaces the silver aluminium spider nut that holds your current sprocket on. They are also available in 4 different colours.
sram-xsync-sprocket-for-bosch-motors-black-EV325821-8500-1.jpg

bosch_kettingbeschermer_bosch_2_20t_104_mm_zwart_217639.jpg

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Thanks, really appreciate this. Do I need a special tool to replace this?
You will need an ISIS crank tool, a Bosch spider tool and a torque wrench.
The torque setting for the Miranda Chainguard is printed on it at 20 to 25Nm
The crank bolts normally have the torque stamped on them and can vary from approx 40Nm to 67Nm. You will also need an 8mm Allen key socket for the crank bolts.
Your torque wrench will probably be 3/8" drive and you will need a 3/8 to 1/2" adaptor for the spider tool.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
You will need an ISIS crank tool, a Bosch spider tool and a torque wrench.
The torque setting for the Miranda Chainguard is printed on it at 20 to 25Nm
The crank bolts normally have the torque stamped on them and can vary from approx 40Nm to 67Nm. You will also need an 8mm Allen key socket for the crank bolts.
Your torque wrench will probably be 3/8" drive and you will need a 3/8 to 1/2" adaptor for the spider tool.

Brilliant, thanks for all your help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles