160e 500

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
A couple of mates have both bought these bikes for their 'better halves', there seems to be no blue tooth connection with the controllers on there bikes. Great having the new motor but would like to play with settings for them.
Is this possible or am I missing something, do you really have to take it back to the shop to change the power output on the different modes as is possible with the etube app on your phone?
If that is the case can does anyone know if you can retro fit one of the other controllers to it so that you can use your phone to play with the settings?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
If it's the 2021 model with the EP8 motor it comes with the SC-EM800 display.

EP8 e-Bike System – SHIMANO STEPS (shimano-steps.com)

Push and hold (2 seconds) the button on the bottom of the display to enter the menus and use the control switch on the left handlebar to move up and down the menus.

EDIT::: It may come with the display you mentioned in some markets. I'm not sure. Still the same. Push and hold the button on the bottom of the unit and use the toggle switches to move up and down.

Gordon

p.s. It's the same process with the older model and older display as well.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Doesn’t appear to be on the 500 model bike, it’s the base model and comes with the display and power mode (eco, trail, boost) changer all in one. So not sure if we are talking about the same controller.

5D090307-5B69-43F1-BEC2-E9702480D502.jpeg

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
If its this display, I dont think it has eTube app compatibility - its not mentioned in the specs. But it is mentioned on the display that is mounted next to the stem the SC-EM800

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Seems a bit mad to have the new motor and not being able to adjust it's output in anyway.
I know with my older motor, I first tweaked trail up to the high setting, from the medium that it comes as the default, and then purchased STunlocker and with it's more detailed info I noticed that Trail was only using 130% assist and a full 70Nm of torque. I thought that with it being the middle setting of the 3 I would up the assist to 150% and that was a nice jump up in power.
Don't ever really use Boost and spend most of the time in Eco trying to actually get some exercise, still loving mine but find it a bit of a disappointment that you can't tweak my friends bikes in anyway.

Last edited:

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Yep this display is junk and doesn't have Bluetooth. Not fit for purpose in my mind - depending on how the bike is advertised you may well be within your right to ask for a upgrade. You will have to upgrade the display to gain Bluetooth and access this functionality

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Hey Dan, do you know if the shop can tweak the motors output with connecting it to their computers or something similar?? Yeah all very frustrating as I know that it's a better bike to ride than at the moment.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
I'm sure its possible. I have a SM-PCE02 adaptor and etube on my laptop, i might be able to plug in and help with this. I know the new motor uses a new wiring/di2 cable for the motor which is smaller diameter.... does this mean there is also a new datalink adaptor required?

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
I think you hit the nail on the head with the JUNK description. My mate looked into it and it's around $300 to replace both the display and mode shifter and then you will need an adapter for the smaller cabling, bit of a sh1t all around. You think that they would just make it easy for you with it all being compatible and keep everyone happy and gain loyalty to the brand.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Merida has consistently jacked up the prices and lowered the specs in the passed couple years.

If you want to get the bikes together I can see what adjustments are possible via my laptop? You can confirm my tool will plug-in if the port on the screen is the same size as your E8000.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Unfortunately my mates missus's bike is in Melb, tho I do have another mate who has bought his wife the exact same bike here in Brissy. So far he hasn't said anything about tweaking the motor.
The mate in Melb has a Norco Range which runs the same motor and display as our Meridas and he, upon suggestions from a LBS, has tried to get the bikes together and plug his display into the wifes bike to try and adjust it that way. All sounds a bit incestuous I know, but long story short, different sized plugs on the wiring ? so no go there either.
Still wondering if he just needs to take it back to the shop to get them to tweak it, which is a bit of a pain as you would like to do it on the fly and try out and then readjust if necessary. Not the 100km half day mucking around trip each time you liked to change something.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
That looks like just the ticket, wonder then, if you could use the bluetooth on my mates Range display to talk to the motor on the 500 or would it need to talk to the display on the 500 to set the new power output. Do you know if that info (power settings) is stored in the motor or the display?

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Did an experiment yesterday for my mate in Melbourne, my better halves Kelly bike has the same motor and display as mine, so hooked her display onto my bike so that hers was talking to my motor.
Used ST Unlocker via bluetooth to change the power output on Trail mode.
Then I plugged them back into their respective bikes.
Mine held the changes once I'd plug my display back in which tells me that the display only talks to the motor and any changes done through the display is kept inside the motor.
Looks promising for my mate once he gets an adapter for the different sized cables, he should be able to change his wifes EP8 motor with his display.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
On my eOne Forty 400 I’ve noticed that the DST and ODO always have the same reading.

Shouldn’t the DST show only the accumulated km for each ride and the ODO total km for the actual bike?

Here’s 2 photos showing both the DST and ODO as the same. It does this all the time. Is there a way to reset the DST for each ride?

2C3C699B-19FD-45D7-8A9A-1BEEB9A1DDA7.jpeg
4A606007-AA5C-4C54-8D9D-5B7F2A2D4B04.jpeg

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
With the E7000 display when DST is displayed you press and hold the button until it starts flashing, then press the button again to reset to zero

Not sure if it's the same with the 5003 display

Worth a try !

??‍♀️ That worked!! Thank you!

I had tried holding it down but must not have reset it fast enough to work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles