Merida e160 500 or 700

smashmonkey

Aug 31, 2020
Australia
Hi All,

I recently ordered my first ebike, a Merida e160 500 however I'm wondering if I should spend the extra to go to the next model up, the 700. The difference is about $1200AUD and I can see the extra value

The main things that interest are:
  • the Marzocchi Z1 and Fox Float DPX2 Perf over the Rock Shox 35 Gold RL + Rock Shox Deluxe Select+
  • Shimano SLX vs M4100 Brakes, both 4 piston
  • The SC-E7000 display over the SC-E5003
  • and, less of a concern but nice to have a better derailleur & tires
I'm already stretching the budget, so I'd prefer not to find the extra $$, but worried I'll go looking for upgrades on the lower model, which will quickly add up to $1200. Will the 500 be just as capable as the 700, or will the 700 be a much better option.

I'm in my mid 50's, very unfit (hence wanting a bike) but looking to do some trails and some descents at bike parks.

v0rt3x

Mar 27, 2020
Slovenia
Z1 is basically a rebadged 36 so it should be quite better. 12 speed is a bit more work to keep shifting smoothly, I see it comes with the Deore shifter which I would replace with XT (multi upshifts, faster) Tires are quite a bit better on the 700.

The 35 is truly a entry level fork but other specs are on point, new Deore stuff is good. You can upgrade the fork later if you want, Lyriks are around 400€.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I can't see a 700 on the Australian distributors site (99 bikes). The 500SE and 800SE are there though. The 800 has a more powerful motor (e8000 vs e7000 on the 500).

Where are you getting these from and what's the prices? It seems you can get a 800SE for A$6299.00.

Gordon

smashmonkey

Aug 31, 2020
Australia
I can't see a 700 on the Australian distributors site (99 bikes). The 500SE and 800SE are there though. The 800 has a more powerful motor (e8000 vs e7000 on the 500).

Where are you getting these from and what's the prices? It seems you can get a 800SE for A$6299.00.

Gordon
Hi Gordon, the specs are from Merida's website. 99 bikes haven't updated their website yet, probably will closer to Oct/Nov when they have stock. I was told to expect my bike in Oct, I ordered through 99 bikes

smashmonkey

Aug 31, 2020
Australia
Z1 is basically a rebadged 36 so it should be quite better. 12 speed is a bit more work to keep shifting smoothly, I see it comes with the Deore shifter which I would replace with XT (multi upshifts, faster) Tires are quite a bit better on the 700.

The 35 is truly a entry level fork but other specs are on point, new Deore stuff is good. You can upgrade the fork later if you want, Lyriks are around 400€.

Thanks, I don't want to spend the extra, but the 700 does offer a lot more bang for the buck, for the cost of upgrading the fork and display, I'll get the updated model. Just need to hide it from the wife :)

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Hi Gordon, the specs are from Merida's website. 99 bikes haven't updated their website yet, probably will closer to Oct/Nov when they have stock. I was told to expect my bike in Oct, I ordered through 99 bikes

OK. Got it. Order the 700. Not only much better brakes but also a better drivetrain including XT rear deralieur which has silky smooth shifting as well as the better suspension package.

Gordon

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Thanks, I don't want to spend the extra, but the 700 does offer a lot more bang for the buck, for the cost of upgrading the fork and display, I'll get the updated model. Just need to hide it from the wife :)

Did you show her the lime green 500 version or the silver? If it was the green, she might not notice it's now more of a teal color?! :unsure:

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Just ordered the 2021 e160 500

I couldn't justify the extra $1200 to go up to the 700

Like @smashmonkey I'm in my 50's (just) and looking to get a bit fitter

For the style of riding I'll be doing the component spec is fine

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Just ordered the 2021 e160 500

I couldn't justify the extra $1200 to go up to the 700

Like @smashmonkey I'm in my 50's (just) and looking to get a bit fitter

For the style of riding I'll be doing the component spec is fine

I ordered the lime 500 too. I have Nov 3 on my invoice! Can't come quick enough :)

Oh and I'm not quite 50 and also quite unfit.. with a dodgy back to boot!

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
I ordered the lime 500 too. I have Nov 3 on my invoice! Can't come quick enough :)

Oh and I'm not quite 50 and also quite unfit.. with a dodgy back to boot!

Titanium/ Matt Black for me, but the Lime looks mint as well

Reckon the only upgrade I'll do initially is swap out the Kenda tyres for tubeless Maxxis Recon's

It's good to feel excited about riding again

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Hey @sparked

I saw in a couple of other posts from you

1. You originally ordered a Levo but then as above changed to the Merida - can I ask why ?

2. You also noted that the eOne Sixty 500 in size Small only has the 504wH battery - I've also seen this noted on a couple of reviews but Merida's website says only the XS get the smaller battery - where did you get this info ?

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Hey @sparked

I saw in a couple of other posts from you

1. You originally ordered a Levo but then as above changed to the Merida - can I ask why ?

2. You also noted that the eOne Sixty 500 in size Small only has the 504wH battery - I've also seen this noted on a couple of reviews but Merida's website says only the XS get the smaller battery - where did you get this info ?

hey small Levo is way too big for me at 760mm stand over so I didn’t proceed. I asked about dropping to 27.5 Wheelset to reduce height but was told it would not be covered by warranty. So meh

you are right - I probably confused the S frame E140 with the XS frame e160!

I’m not sure about the Merida with these EP8 recall/production halt. Anyone else feel the same?

I’m also looking Trek TBH. But with no bikes in stock anywhere: one doesn’t have to rush and can take their time!

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks

Got it re battery - I see that on Merida's website

EP8 delays are a concern - have you had any updates on an ETA from your bike shop ?

Trek Rails are $$$ in comparison and Powerfly is damn ugly with Suntour Fork / Shock :oops:

I originally put a deposit on a Focus Jam2 but I'm right between sizes and it just didn't feel right so bailed and went for the Merida

Have you looked at the Thron2 or Jam2 ?

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Thanks

Got it re battery - I see that on Merida's website

EP8 delays are a concern - have you had any updates on an ETA from your bike shop ?

Trek Rails are $$$ in comparison and Powerfly is damn ugly with Suntour Fork / Shock :oops:

I originally put a deposit on a Focus Jam2 but I'm right between sizes and it just didn't feel right so bailed and went for the Merida

Have you looked at the Thron2 or Jam2 ?

So I discounted the Levo based on the Geo without riding one. I found a small to ride on Monday and was instantly in love with it. We now have a Levo Comp and a Levo HT in the family. I really didnt want to wait any longer either.

If you read the Rail threads - so many issues with poor quality paint chipping and even some batteries falling out. In aus the Rail 7 is a whopping $9000 and whilst I liked the bike, I wasn't in love with it like the Levo at first site. My Levo Comp came in just a few hundy more and i get much higher spec.

The Powerfly is a very strange looking ride and also quite expensive for the spec you get. In Small its also only 100mm of travel and 500wh battery. We only get the FS4 here and its $7k.

Thron2 for me felt really big and cumbersome with the 29ers on it - the Levo also with the 29ers I found to be more nimble and easier to turn in in comparison. The Thron2 6.9 is a stunning bike though and if i was a bit taller I would have been ok with it.

I think I made the best decision by far and am now finally stoked!!!

Just proves you really have to ride them.. like really try and ride them.

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
So I discounted the Levo based on the Geo without riding one. I found a small to ride on Monday and was instantly in love with it. We now have a Levo Comp and a Levo HT in the family. I really didnt want to wait any longer either.

If you read the Rail threads - so many issues with poor quality paint chipping and even some batteries falling out. In aus the Rail 7 is a whopping $9000 and whilst I liked the bike, I wasn't in love with it like the Levo at first site. My Levo Comp came in just a few hundy more and i get much higher spec.

The Powerfly is a very strange looking ride and also quite expensive for the spec you get. In Small its also only 100mm of travel and 500wh battery. We only get the FS4 here and its $7k.

Thron2 for me felt really big and cumbersome with the 29ers on it - the Levo also with the 29ers I found to be more nimble and easier to turn in in comparison. The Thron2 6.9 is a stunning bike though and if i was a bit taller I would have been ok with it.

I think I made the best decision by far and am now finally stoked!!!

Just proves you really have to ride them.. like really try and ride them.

Thanks for the update

Good to hear about the Levo - third time lucky !

Made me think of the following saying

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure" :)

We're you able to just 'return' the Thron2 ?

Agreed re Trek options - expensive and plenty of negative feedback

Hard to find demo options here in Adelaide to be able to try out first - particularly the Merida e160 I'm locked into

Enjoy getting out with the eased restrictions !

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Thanks for the update

Good to hear about the Levo - third time lucky !

Made me think of the following saying

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure" :)

We're you able to just 'return' the Thron2 ?

Agreed re Trek options - expensive and plenty of negative feedback

Hard to find demo options here in Adelaide to be able to try out first - particularly the Merida e160 I'm locked into

Enjoy getting out with the eased restrictions !

I returned the Thron but was hit with a restock fee as they now can only sell it as a Demo. I was ok with that as selling privately would be a whole other can of worms & $ loss I think.

Honestly - what a debarcle. I was so bloody confused. Lesson - dont buy a bike during lockdown that you can't test first! I ended up returning 2 bikes!

Anyhoo bike shops are doing ok.. they are probably all very wealthy right now!

smashmonkey

Aug 31, 2020
Australia
I joined 99bikes gold membership ($30) and had my bike further discounted, worth a look if you are based in Australia. I ended up getting an additional $800 off the standard club price on the bike I ordered a few months ago. Also got told delivery has been pushed back to the end of November and I'm No. 2 on the list, so will get one from the first batch to land in Australia. (Edit) discount was short lived, has gone up by $500.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles