Merida E160 power issue

Stan

Feb 18, 2019
Australia
has anyone experienced this? and how it he issue was solved.
E160. 10k first gen bike.
Haven't ridden for a while, went to power up the bike by pushing the on/off button, no power to the display, no green light on the power switch.
Both batteries are fully charged.
Have tried the following with no success.
1. Recharged one battery off the bike and on inserted in the bike.
2. Checked cables to the display.
Currently the bike is in the bike shop to fix the issue.
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, as this forum seems to have more knowledge than most bike shops.
Thanks.

TOM_EMTB

Oct 21, 2021
ISRAEL
Yes it happened to me
Not all stores are aware of the issue but try the following option.

Next to the bottle holder is a small rubber lid
Remove the lid with a screwdriver and press the button inside

The problem I had was because I did not turn on the bike for a long time so the backup battery on the power button ran out.

After you turn the bike through as the backup exemption
You must ride the bike for over 15 minutes to charge the backup battery and everything will return to normal

Let me know if it worked

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Have you got a picture of that rubber lid? Is it down by the motor where the cables enter? Ta.

No it's near the water bottle mounts and kind of looks like a third mounting point. Its about 6mm across.

Use something blunt, like a 5mm allen key to push the button. You're pushing the button on the battery and it's rubber. Sharp objects will damage it.

Gordon

Stan

Feb 18, 2019
Australia
Got a call from the bike shop, bike is all good to go.
Apparently the bike need a firmware update. Will ask exactly and will post so if this happens to your bike you all know how to fix it.

TOM_EMTB

Oct 21, 2021
ISRAEL
Location of the cork according to the picture

1111.JPG

E-Bandit

Sep 1, 2020
Australia
Yes it happened to me
Not all stores are aware of the issue but try the following option.

Next to the bottle holder is a small rubber lid
Remove the lid with a screwdriver and press the button inside

The problem I had was because I did not turn on the bike for a long time so the backup battery on the power button ran out.

After you turn the bike through as the backup exemption
You must ride the bike for over 15 minutes to charge the backup battery and everything will return to normal

Let me know if it worked

I also had this on my 2020 e160, got the bike out and wouldn’t turn on, fully charged battery, Iknew about the access in theframe to turn the battery on directly as they use that to derestricted it. Turned it on and went for a ride and the power button battery recharged, it can also happen if youcharge the battery outside the bike as the internal battery doesn’t get charged I believe

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles