Merida e160. 8000

Djwau

Oct 12, 2021
Canberra, Australia
Hi all, new member here and first post.

I have a new 2021 e160 8000. Loving the bike and have racked up 300+km of trail rides in 3 weeks.

Bike is going well but has developed a ‘creaking’ noise that seems to be coming from the battery compartment area. Any suggestions as to what this may be and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
Hi all, new member here and first post.

I have a new 2021 e160 8000. Loving the bike and have racked up 300+km of trail rides in 3 weeks.

Bike is going well but has developed a ‘creaking’ noise that seems to be coming from the battery compartment area. Any suggestions as to what this may be and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome, and great choice of bike! Check the shock bolts are tight. Mine (the lower one) came loose about the same time as yours.

While you're at it, go through all pivot bolts and the crank arm bolts too.

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
As above, go over all the bolts. Generally after a couple hundred km's the bike should go back for its first check over to the shop. They found a few things like this with my bike on the first service, but it's been mint ever since.

Djwau

Oct 12, 2021
Canberra, Australia
As above, go over all the bolts. Generally after a couple hundred km's the bike should go back for its first check over to the shop. They found a few things like this with my bike on the first service, but it's been mint ever since.
Agreed, I have it booked in for its first service early next week. Thanks

Isaacgrx

Jul 3, 2021
Adelaide
Agreed, I have it booked in for its first service early next week. Thanks

Good plan, then they can re-adjust your rear mech, etc as required too after the cable has stretched a bit, etc.

Sounds like maybe a motor bolt is slighly loose, which they should go over and re-torque up for you :D

2bit_dale

Jan 27, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
I had the exact same problem. Took the bike in after ~300kms to get everything re-tensioned and greased but they couldn’t identify the creaking sound. I now think it’s the thermal gate plastic creaking on the carbon frame. Interested in hearing others experiences.

Djwau

Oct 12, 2021
Canberra, Australia
I had the exact same problem. Took the bike in after ~300kms to get everything re-tensioned and greased but they couldn’t identify the creaking sound. I now think it’s the thermal gate plastic creaking on the carbon frame. Interested in hearing others experiences.
The original creaking problem still exists in my bike after the initial service and a second visit back to the store to try to sort out the noise but to no avail. The creaking is still there. I’m still trying to eliminate possibilities of what it may be but not having much luck.

2bit_dale

Jan 27, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
The original creaking problem still exists in my bike after the initial service and a second visit back to the store to try to sort out the noise but to no avail. The creaking is still there. I’m still trying to eliminate possibilities of what it may be but not having much luck.

For me, it seems to be temperature dependent and also has something to do with frame flex as it creaks when I shift weight from side to side while riding. It’s almost impossible to pinpoint where the sound is coming from though. I’m going to try removing the thermal gate vents and see if that solves it.

jhonmartin692

Apr 12, 2022
England

It's great that you are enjoying your new bike! The creaking noise you are hearing is most likely due to the battery compartment door not being fully closed or secured.

Xfrysian

Oct 4, 2022
Nederland
Could be "plastic on plastic rubbing noise" (dont know how to call it)had it with my eone sixty. Battery slightly moving in the holder, especially when it's colder weather. Put some grease on both the battery and the holder and the noise was gone. I have an external battery(older type) but the principle is the same. Just a tiny bit of slack can cause such an annoying noise. The grease ensures that the friction and the noise is gone

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles