10p a mile in front brake pads...

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
So, I’ve managed to go through a front set of pads on my Magura MT5s in just over 100 miles.

I did have a couple of very wet rides in that mileage, but I think it’s a record for wearing front pads on any MTB I’ve owned with disk brakes.

I seem to have stumbled on one of the most labour intensive and costly forms of cycling out there! My ‘home brew special‘ e-bike never really needs any attention, and it’s been a great backup bike in the 6 months I’ve owned the Jam 2.

So far, the Jam has needed a new charger, new headset bearings, new dropper lever and cable, regular dismantling and re-greasing of linkage pivots, and now the 6v light output is proving flakey on the M99 headlight.

Anyway, first world problems and all that! What pads are you running that give a long life whilst balancing compromises like cost, bite and fade etc?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I use uberbike racematrix on my dh bike with mt7. They are very good but dont last long, bu. I expect the standard ones are organic & have been ruined by the wet & gritty dirt.
Actually now ive looked they dont seem to do the individual pads anymore, just the mt5 one piece style. Urgh, what a pain I will have to look elsewhere.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I use uberbike racematrix on my dh bike with mt7. They are very good but dont last long, bu. I expect the standard ones are organic & have been ruined by the wet & gritty dirt.
Actually now ive looked they dont seem to do the individual pads anymore, just the mt5 one piece style. Urgh, what a pain I will have to look elsewhere.

Cheers for that, I’ve just ordered a set of e-matrix pads to try.(y)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I go through a pad every ride .. sometimes more ...

pads.jpeg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Standard Shimano XT resin pads.
Almost done 1000 miles. Rear pads will probably last maybe 100 miles more
Front pads maybe 300-400 more

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles