Levo Gen 2 1.2 motor to 1.3

Jono967

Apr 4, 2019
Victoria Australia
Ok brain trust
I've obviously been in lockdown for too long
Thinking of upgrading my 1.2 motor to 1.3
1/Question is do you think I would notice the difference.
2/What sort of dollars would the motor cost?
3/Where could I buy one as Specialized Australia don't want to sell me on
There is nothing wrong with the motor in the bike now just want a bit more power because you can never have enough
I've ridden, my wife's 2020 Levo and love the power of hers, I understand the 1.3 doesn't have the same torque or power but it will be more than what I currently have.
I look forward to your responses.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Here's a link to a German online shop which sells the 1.3 motor.

They are shipping almost worldwide, but I can't read Australia anywhere. Maybe you can contact them, but obviously they are on holiday at the moment.
This one is not compatible with Specialized bikes, it even says in description. Specialized uses its own firmware so you cannot just buy any Drive S motor but it has to be with Specalized firmware (trail tuned)...

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
The description says: "basically not"
So you are right... An update with the Speci firmware is needed, before riding. A willing Specialized dealer can do this. Without it, the motor won't work correctly.

This dealer cannot do it, because he is not an official Speci dealer, but it's possible. Some guys here in Germany/Austria/Switzerland already did that upgrade.

Just contact him before a purchase. I'm sure he will tell how to do.

Jono967

Apr 4, 2019
Victoria Australia
The description says: "basically not"
So you are right... An update with the Speci firmware is needed, before riding. A willing Specialized dealer can do this. Without it, the motor won't work correctly.

This dealer cannot do it, because he is not an official Speci dealer, but it's possible. Some guys here in Germany/Austria/Switzerland already did that upgrade.

Just contact him before a purchase. I'm sure he will tell how to do.
Thanks so much for all the information and a supplier
So I take it both the motor and the battery have firmware in them
As I can have a different tune for the motor depending on which battery I’m using
This is using the Blevo app

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
I recently upgraded from at 1.2 to 1.3s in my 2016 levo. Cost me just under $800 with specialized sliding scale extended warranty replacement. I noticed a decent difference in power between the two motors. Nothing huge but definitely noticeable. I also noticed that the 1.3 sounds a bit more clean/quiet when operating.

It is my understanding that buying a non-Specialized Brose Motor would operate in the bike, yet wouldn’t have the functionality such as the handlebar remote. I don’t believe the Specialized dealer can flash a non Specialized Brose motor with Specialized software/firmware - please correct me if I’m wrong.

I believe there is firmware stored in the motor, so it doesn’t matter which battery you use. I have two batteries and the motor performs the same no matter which battery I’m using.

I just started using BLEvo so I’m unclear if you could have different profiles for each battery. I do see that BLEvo has profiles you can save, so seemingly you could change the profile to a saved profile before each ride.

Enjoy!

Mark

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I recently upgraded from at 1.2 to 1.3s in my 2016 levo. Cost me just under $800 with specialized sliding scale extended warranty replacement. I noticed a decent difference in power between the two motors. Nothing huge but definitely noticeable. I also noticed that the 1.3 sounds a bit more clean/quiet when operating.

It is my understanding that buying a non-Specialized Brose Motor would operate in the bike, yet wouldn’t have the functionality such as the handlebar remote. I don’t believe the Specialized dealer can flash a non Specialized Brose motor with Specialized software/firmware - please correct me if I’m wrong.

I believe there is firmware stored in the motor, so it doesn’t matter which battery you use. I have two batteries and the motor performs the same no matter which battery I’m using.

I just started using BLEvo so I’m unclear if you could have different profiles for each battery. I do see that BLEvo has profiles you can save, so seemingly you could change the profile to a saved profile before each ride.

Enjoy!

Mark
hi mark @SLOTownLevo - i have a 2017 and i just did the same thing - i went from my 2nd 1.2 motor to a 1.3.

crazy thing is that it feels like a fucking slug! i had to turn my levels way up, but still i am working harder. i checked the logs from BLEvo and peak power from the old motor was about 650 watts. the new 1.3 is a little over 700 watts - so, that seems commesurate. but my legs do not agree!

on our older levos do we have any adjustment besides assistance level and peak power? i feel like maybe i just have a setting off. it shows i am running 2.23.1 firmware which is i think the latest we got.

also - my buddy has a 1.3 in his 2017 and i could instantly tell the difference from my 1.2. i'm going to get him to take a lap on this thing today and see if i'm imagining it. and ride his to see if it feels different.

one other weird thing - the 1.2 would assist way down in the cadence, even if i was barely turning the cranks (granny gear, top of climb) but the 1.3 cuts out pretty noticeably below 50.

viva los 1st gen levos!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles