Levo Gen 2 Brose 1.3 Motor Failure not covered by warranty

EugeneK35

Jan 25, 2019
south africa
Snap. My wife's Levo went in 4 times from October to January because the power delivery was erratic. Each time it was returned as fixed. Then suddenly the clutch slipped within 10km of riding. Well, l was then told that the motor needed replacing. A 20% discount was offered with no labor charges but l heard a week later that Brose supply a repair kit for 25% of the cost. Of course the Specialized dealer and South African Specialized agent did not seem to know of this option. We immediately had other problems so lam not a Specialized fan.
Contact Neill Kemp 082 310 4480 he can re-furbish your motor.

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
I have a 2019 with around 4300 miles. I'm on my third motor. Made my day when I found out that, Specialized was extending the warranty to 4yrs... Can't put a price on peace of mind!

Unfortunately, I believe the extended warranty from 2 to 4 years only applies to the newest motor as there was a software issue contributing to the motor failure. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Be well,
Mark

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Hi

I have a 2018 Turbo Levo FSR Comp that I bought secondhand in June 2019. The original owner purchased this through a Levo dealership and I have the sales receipt which shows he bought my bike and one for his wife on the 25/1/2018. I was riding the bike home two days ago and the motor stopped assisting and started making funny noises. I got it home and took it to my LSB who are also Specialized dealers. Unfortunately they have told me that the motor is not covered by warranty and it will be a $NZ2.5k cost to replace it. I am very disappointed that a 3 year old motor can fail and that there is no option to repair this - only to replace it. It is like having a three year old car and the manufacturer saying there is a fault with the motor and you have to replace the whole thing - it just doesn't happen - the faulty part is replaced but it seems there is no option with an e-bike motor. In fact, the dealer told me they can't even open the motor to look inside! The bike has done about 4,300kms and I have always had it serviced at my LBS.

I have seen comments on forums about the fact that e-bikes are an evolving technology and that there is an inherent risk in buying one but that doesn't wash with me. We have a Consumer's Guarantee Act here in NZ that says a customer should have a reasonable expectation of the life of something they buy and I would have said three years is not reasonable. I am unsure what to do about this as I really don't want to have to pay $2.5k for a new motor. Any advice from would be gratefully received. Has anyone had an acceptable outcome to such an issue or is this common across e-bikes?

Hi all, the 1.2 motor in my 2016 Levo was making some noise with only 450 miles on it. I was able to utilize Specialized’s extended warranty sliding scale coverage as the second owner of the bike to purchase a replacement. I was offered a 25% off discount toward a replacement motor. The new 1.3s cost me $706 before taxes. I installed the motor myself, took around an hour and was a straight forward install. My plan is to have the 1.2 motor overhauled to keep as a backup.

Seemingly your LBS is way off in regards to the cost of a replacement motor. You may have better luck contacting Specialized Rider Care to get their support in dealing with your LBS. You always have the option of going to another Specialized dealer near you.

Clearly the motor is the achilles’ heel for any e-bike. I’m glad there is such great support from Peter @Bearing Man of Performance Line Bearings ??????

Hopefully you’ll be able to get up and cycling again soon :)

Be well all,

Mark

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
Hi all, the 1.2 motor in my 2016 Levo was making some noise with only 450 miles on it. I was able to utilize Specialized’s extended warranty sliding scale coverage as the second owner of the bike to purchase a replacement. I was offered a 25% off discount toward a replacement motor. The new 1.3s cost me $706 before taxes. I installed the motor myself, took around an hour and was a straight forward install. My plan is to have the 1.2 motor overhauled to keep as a backup.

Seemingly your LBS is way off in regards to the cost of a replacement motor. You may have better luck contacting Specialized Rider Care to get their support in dealing with your LBS. You always have the option of going to another Specialized dealer near you.

Clearly the motor is the achilles’ heel for any e-bike. I’m glad there is such great support from Peter @Bearing Man of Performance Line Bearings ??????

Hopefully you’ll be able to get up and cycling again soon :)

Be well all,

Mark
haha! that is my plan too!

Tmack1960

Jun 13, 2020
Rotorua
Update: I have my bike back from Specialized NZ repaired! It seems that they have now added a belt replacement kit to their service menu and this was what was replaced. A great outcome at $NZ500 rather than $NZ2.5k so am very happy with this. Thanks for all the different advice and I was really pleased to learn about Performance Line Bearings being able to actually repair motors out of warranty. I was definitely prepared to send my motor all the way from NZ to the UK if it had been necessary. I am going to promote them as much as I can through my small social network here and also see if I can persuade someone to set up this service with PLB here in Rotorua.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Update: I have my bike back from Specialized NZ repaired! It seems that they have now added a belt replacement kit to their service menu and this was what was replaced. A great outcome at $NZ500 rather than $NZ2.5k so am very happy with this. Thanks for all the different advice and I was really pleased to learn about Performance Line Bearings being able to actually repair motors out of warranty. I was definitely prepared to send my motor all the way from NZ to the UK if it had been necessary. I am going to promote them as much as I can through my small social network here and also see if I can persuade someone to set up this service with PLB here in Rotorua.
Great that it turned out (y)

ockevin

Apr 24, 2020
Buena Park, CA
I have a 2019 Turbo levo and the motor went out. It turns out the belt broke. I had to pay for a replacement because I am the second owner and no original receipt. I got the old motor back and would love to just replace the belt and have a back up. Do you know where I can get one ?

Thank you,

Kevin

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles