YT Decoy NOT Serviceable by Shimano and YT Customer Service Fail

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
The battery code thing is interesting. I expect it exists to prevent people accessing the battery firmware with other (non-bike) methods, and is essentially protecting the $$$ YT spent developing the battery. I would hope though that they could develop a bit of software that could run at a Shimano dealer and securely apply the code. More $$ though obviously.
I have to say in this situation I would pay for the frame and then take it up with the couriers.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
damn.... I was seriously considering a YT or Canyon for my next bike simply because of the insane value for money but... there's no way they could ever match the customer service ive had as a spesh owner... really sorry to read this mate, hope you get it sorted

Canyon use Shimano's battery so things should be more straightforward, hope so anyway.
Focus use their own battery, but I had the Shimano motor changed on mine by the LBS (as have many others) without any issues.
A mate of mine cracked a chain-stay on his three week old clockwork, carbon, full sus YT. He sent it back to them but they wouldn't repair it and cut the frame in half so that he couldn't have it repaired.
Decoy has never been on my list as I am probably one of the few who thinks it a bit of an ugly duckling.

Luxx

Jan 12, 2020
Austria
A big thank you to all of you guys for sharing our knowledge here! This is so helpful although I’m sorry for everyone whose going through experiences like this. Hope you will end up with a big excuse and a new or perfectly repaired bike from yt soon ?

I’m in a decision making process of buying my first ebike....and i think yt is out now after reading this....

cheers from ??

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I am actually quite suprised by the reaction of YT, but on one part I understand. If the bike was send by you to YT and damaged in transport you had a contract with the delivery company. So you should fight it. However, YT failed to register the damages to the box and bike on delivery. So you could say they are partly responsible for you possibly getting problems in fighting the delivery company for damages....Really tricky situation.....

On the shimano motor part I can understand they would like to protect their IP on the battery. In my R&D department we also have such IP we need to protect. It is easy to steal and then requires really little R&D (money) to use. They really should have, in my opinion, made something like an app or online/remote connection so they can imput the codes to Shimano motors without reveiling them. This should really not be that hard and would take one of my R&D people less than a day to set-up probably. Although we are not working with this technology, so I might be wrong...

p.s. What if we use the layout of the YT battery and use internals of a Shimano battery? In case of emergency or hacky-hack.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
I am actually quite suprised by the reaction of YT, but on one part I understand. If the bike was send by you to YT and damaged in transport you had a contract with the delivery company. So you should fight it. However, YT failed to register the damages to the box and bike on delivery. So you could say they are partly responsible for you possibly getting problems in fighting the delivery company for damages....Really tricky situation.....

On the shimano motor part I can understand they would like to protect their IP on the battery. In my R&D department we also have such IP we need to protect. It is easy to steal and then requires really little R&D (money) to use. They really should have, in my opinion, made something like an app or online/remote connection so they can imput the codes to Shimano motors without reveiling them. This should really not be that hard and would take one of my R&D people less than a day to set-up probably. Although we are not working with this technology, so I might be wrong...

p.s. What if we use the layout of the YT battery and use internals of a Shimano battery? In case of emergency or hacky-hack.
What has happened here is that part of the frame has broken through a cardboard box in the bottom and basically been dragged along floor. I cant tell if it's an impact or a friction wear or both.

This is an argument about liability not service. There is a concern that 7 weeks later they get around to looking at it. But that has just made it more complicated.

In the absence of any facts we are in a 3 party blame game. This is the real problem. If YT had any sense they would review their own processes as this has made it all worse.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
YT giving no details when asked. Nothing!

‘Pay for a new frame or we ship it back’ and ‘we can’t approve the use of the frame’.

Simply spectacular!
Rob should stop promoting their bikes no this site, see if that makes them have a re-think...

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
YT giving no details when asked. Nothing!

‘Pay for a new frame or we ship it back’ and ‘we can’t approve the use of the frame’.

Simply spectacular!
Rob should stop promoting their bikes no this site, see if that makes them have a re-think...
Should make a video on it.

Unacceptable issues with YT.

Long service times
Sending frames in post.
Custom codes
No shimano support
Postal damage

I'd certainly of though twice if known the above. Although if mine has a problem and it's not fixed in 2 weeks I'll get a refund. Win win for me.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wonder why YT cant just supply Shimano UK with a couple of batteries they can use for testing during any warranties. Seems like a simple solution

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
My only comment, and this is based on several bikes claimed to be damaged by couriers is for them to provide photographic evidence of the damaged packaging. I know that in most countries if someone signs for something they accept responsibility for it. Any company I have worked for it has been policy to refuse to sign for anything in damaged packaging unless the courier/freight company provides an acknowledgement that the packaging was damaged by them and they accept any damage to whatever in inside.
Occasionally a driver will refuse after checking with the company, but will wait until we unpack, but more often than not we just send it back and let the forwarder sort things out with the Consignor.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
Would it be that hard for YT to have a centrally located service partner in each market.

The shipping backwards and forwards is costly enough. I'm sure a bike shop would happily do the warranty work for a reasonable cost.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I wonder why YT cant just supply Shimano UK with a couple of batteries they can use for testing during any warranties. Seems like a simple solution

It is the motor that has to be dialed into the battery appearantly....because he already has a battery no? This part of the problem I really do not understand from YT. This is something you can forsee when you set it up like they did. Shipping whole bikes around everytime a motor has to be replaced is of course bonkers.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Although if mine has a problem and it's not fixed in 2 weeks I'll get a refund. Win win for me.
You seem very sure of yourself. Perhaps you could get in touch with the OP directly and help him out?

It doesn't look like this bike was even inspected in 7 weeks and communication has been terrible.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
Although if mine has a problem and it's not fixed in 2 weeks I'll get a refund. Win win for me.
You seem very sure of yourself. Perhaps you could get in touch with the OP directly and help him out?

It doesn't look like this bike was even inspected in 7 weeks and communication has been terrible.
I did.

I researched exactly what he should do.

Thankfully my assumptions on UK jurisdiction are correct. There is also a cross border scheme with the EU under 5000 euros he can use. Which I cant work out is either different or the same thing as normal claim.

This comes down to an email to their MD. Stating the facts. An option to do the right thing and refund or replace the frame and motor Free of charge. Explain that once a claim goes in the charges will be increased by roughly £500 to resolve. Which he has to legally pay even if he now agrees to fix. He cannot just change his mind once claim goes in either you can now refuse the fix and ask for refund or he pays costs and replaces item.

If he refuses then its file a claim time in the small claims court. Papers land at his office. He has 14 days to acknowledge claim 28 days to file a defence. Then a court date is set 3 to 6 months in future in the UK. If he fails to respond a default judgement goes in and then you can instruct bailiffs to collect. (Costs money but is safe against a big company like YT)

If he wants to defend it then hes either on a flight to the UK with legal representatives (expensive) or maybe possible by video link.

Judge will unlikely ever side with the company over the individual unless the individual is totally in the wrong but usually they never make it to court anyway so if someone is willing to take it this far it's because they believe they are right. Law sides with consumer anyway.

From my experience though as soon as those court papers hit then they suddenly have a change if heart.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
This is defo not promising news. I do hope the OP finds a resolution swiftly.

On a side note I wonder if this battery code is the reason we haven't seen the 700Wh batteries becoming available yet?

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
This is defo not promising news. I do hope the OP finds a resolution swiftly.

On a side note I wonder if this battery code is the reason we haven't seen the 700Wh batteries becoming available yet?
Very unlikely.

The code is probably something which is used to authorise the battery to work on the motor.

Germans can be a right bunch of twats when it comes to things like this. This will be some to clever for his own good German engineer who thinks protecting his IP is more important than customer service.

NEIN NEIN NEIN... you can hear him shout..

This also confirms that you might not be able to buy a used battery from a decoy to work on your decoy if that code is unique and tied to the motor serial!

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
If the courier damaged the bike they are in breach of contract - the contract is between the courier and whoever paid them. If YT paid the courier they must claim from the courier. If you paid the courier you must claim from them. I'm not sure who paid whom.
The claim process will demand the proof of receipt - if this shows YT accepted the damaged bike then liability is back with them. If the proof of receipt details damage in transit the courier becomes liable, if the courier claim poor packaging (at the time) you then have to prove otherwise.
The only way you can lose is if you packaged badly and this is documented in a rejection from YT when they recieved it.
Make the claim and buy locally with the money and use a credit card to pay.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
If the courier damaged the bike they are in breach of contract - the contract is between the courier and whoever paid them. If YT paid the courier they must claim from the courier. If you paid the courier you must claim from them. I'm not sure who paid whom.
The claim process will demand the proof of receipt - if this shows YT accepted the damaged bike then liability is back with them. If the proof of receipt details damage in transit the courier becomes liable, if the courier claim poor packaging (at the time) you then have to prove otherwise.
The only way you can lose is if you packaged badly and this is documented in a rejection from YT when they recieved it.
Make the claim and buy locally with the money and use a credit card to pay.
The problem for YT is that it took 7 weeks to notice it was damaged. So YT really has no leg to stand on in this argument. Sadly you still have to enforce it or they just do nothing.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Germans can be a right bunch of twats when it comes to things like this. This will be some to clever for his own good German engineer who thinks protecting his IP is more important than customer service.

:oops::oops::oops:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Very unlikely.

The code is probably something which is used to authorise the battery to work on the motor.

This also confirms that you might not be able to buy a used battery from a decoy to work on your decoy if that code is unique and tied to the motor serial!

Casual xenophobia? Stop please.

Last edited:

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
Very unlikely.

Casual xenophobia? Stop please.
Lol get a life.

I deal with german manufacturers all the time. I also drive a german high performance car and have vast experience with this exact problem.

Ask yourself why every part of my bmw has to be coded to work. If I change a headlight it has to be coded. If I change any part there is coding required. Why does it not plug and play?

Laws have been passed inside the EU because german companies were holding customers hostage with their own vehicles. And yes it was the germans who were doing this. Heck bosch got caught with software inside their equipment which designed it to fail as soon as the warranty ran out.

Have we forgotten the VW scandal too?

History and truth hurts.

Oh and before you jump on the waaaacist band wagon. Other companies and countries do this too but from my experience the German manufacturers are renowned for locking down repairs to increase profits at the expensive of their customers.

This behaviour is unacceptable and will soon be outlawed with the right to repair legislation which is slowly being rolled out over the EU

Last edited:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
You may have a point in some of your posts, and you‘ve been helpful to the OP, but to stand by lazy stereotyping on an international forum isn’t big or clever. Grow up.
so you are saying that it's the same money to care for a merc as an equally priced japanese car?

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
You may have a point in some of your posts, and you‘ve been helpful to the OP, but to stand by lazy stereotyping on an international forum isn’t big or clever. Grow up.
People like you are the reason why we live in a world run by the Political Correctness Police.

It isnt a lazy stereotype at all. It's a fact. The evidence is in court right now. The fines are in the billions. People are going to jail.

It was also .. you know.... a joke.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
As he doesn't live in Islington North, I doubt it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles