YT Decoy 700WH battery

Himotoma

Oct 1, 2021
Rhode Island
YT will have something up their sleeves in regards a new Decoy for sure. But it's highly unlikely we'll see a bigger battery for the existing Decoy. The demand for lithium for batteries has pushed the price of lithium up 500% the last year, so 3 year old models will be very low down on the pecking order when it comes to batteries.

I'm willing to bet there will be. There is way to much class action lawsuit material out there if they don't they have assured lots of people that there will be, myself included which I have an email to back it up.

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
What country do you live in where you take a class action lawsuit against someone for not building a bigger battery for your bike 🤦‍♂️ glad I live at the bottom of the world.

Himotoma

Oct 1, 2021
Rhode Island
What country do you live in where you take a class action lawsuit against someone for not building a bigger battery for your bike 🤦‍♂️ glad I live at the bottom of the world.

The US. A lawsuit would have merit because they have stated to multiple purchasers that a bigger battery will be available for the current frame. When I purchased my bike they said to buy with confidence a bigger battery will be available in the future for the current model. Granted they never said 700.

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
The US. A lawsuit would have merit because they have stated to multiple purchasers that a bigger battery will be available for the current frame. When I purchased my bike they said to buy with confidence a bigger battery will be available in the future for the current model. Granted they never said 700.
i bought the YT Decoy, because they told me a 700wh battery was coming out soon and I would get a discount on this 700wh battery when it came out. I’ve since sold the YT Decoy, because my brother has a Levo and to get the same range, I had to ride Eco while he rode trail. Had I known up front there was no 700wh battery coming, I would absolutely not have bought the YT Decoy. This is known as false advertising.

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
i bought the YT Decoy, because they told me a 700wh battery was coming out soon and I would get a discount on this 700wh battery when it came out. I’ve since sold the YT Decoy, because my brother has a Levo and to get the same range, I had to ride Eco while he rode trail. Had I known up front there was no 700wh battery coming, I would absolutely not have bought the YT Decoy. This is known as false advertising.

You chose to take a chance on that one, buddy. Unless you have some kind of contract stating that they promised to deliver you a 700wh battery in some specific amount of time, you are SOL. Manufactures make claims to come out with future products all the time and fail to deliver. They are under no obligation to deliver on speculation and plans unless there is a contractual agreement.

Good luck finding a law firm to take this one on, especially since you already sold the Decoy. Lol

Himotoma

Oct 1, 2021
Rhode Island
You chose to take a chance on that one, buddy. Unless you have some kind of contract stating that they promised to deliver you a 700wh battery in some specific amount of time, you are SOL. Manufactures make claims to come out with future products all the time and fail to deliver. They are under no obligation to deliver on speculation and plans unless there is a contractual agreement.

Good luck finding a law firm to take this one on, especially since you already sold the Decoy. Lol

As somebody who is in marketing, you are correct that places make outlandish claims about future products but the words are vague like. "we might work on" or “thinking about” a bigger battery. Lots of people including myself have an email stating that there will be a bigger batter for this style decoy, putting it in writing is like a contract. I'm 100% confident there will be a bigger battery for this gen Decoy. 700w not sure, but bigger yes.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have no doubt there will be a 700wh battery in a YT, I just suspect it will actually be a 720wh Darfon as used in the latest Score, Santa Cruz and others and be found in an updated Decoy rather than retrofittable to the existing!

The original Decoy is a great bike, and still going strong, but I cant believe a newer model isn't imminent.

For me its a big blot on their copy book all the BS about the bigger battery, it formed a large part of their original marketing, and a lot of people bought the bikes in good faith that it would appear years ago.

Given the bike is now at the end of its development cycle I cant see it ever seeing the light of day - I hope to be proved wrong but just cant see it.

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta

You have reading comprehension. No where did I say I was going to sue them.

2nd, if there was a class action law suit for false advertisement from actual people that work/represent YT that told many people in emails, yes a 700wh battery will be available. Go ahead and buy the ebike. The law firm would literally contact every customer that bought a Decoy whether they still own the bike or not. Then go from there.

Neloz

Aug 10, 2021
London
Well, nay sayers, doubters and hopefuls. Our Lord and saviour Markus seems to be sporting the new battery at Ard Rock. Current understanding is it fits all past and current gen except for size small. There's been word from YT at their rolling circus these batteries are coming out as replacement for broken ones starting now, then soon to be available to buy. No idea on wattage, but you'd presume it's the legendary 700W or more.

Screenshot_20220730-051539_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220730-051638_Instagram.jpg

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
That is great news, I started to think about selling my Decoy because of the range anxiety sometimes. I never had any issue with it otherwise so I would rather keep it and upgrade the battery everything has proven reliable so far

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
If the larger battery does not fit a small, then they haven't thought that through me thinks.....

Cube are the same though, their small models don't come with the latest 750w battery, cannot physically fit them in the frame.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Cube are the same though, their small models don't come with the latest 750w battery, cannot physically fit them in the frame.
For the Decoy, since the battery has a bulge and extending the battery upwards in the direction of the battery connectors is not possible, the only way is down then and only for a very limited space as far as I can see with my XXL. They (simplo) have to fit another 160wh (30% extra capacity) extra unless the 700wh batter actually contains 740wh (37% extra cap.)....like the 500 has 540wh

But is it definitive that the small does not allow for a larger battery?? Me wants to have the 700wh anyway especially if they keep their word that the original buyers can buy the battery and switch it with the 500wh, then pay difference or a bit more.

Last edited:

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I hope they hurry with a new Decoy. I'm ready to buy now, and there are several other bikes I'm looming at.
This write up on og decoy kinda kept me from selling mine earlier this year.. I probably should have sold it but it's still a great bike.

Bobby76

Aug 24, 2022
Switzerland
Same message from YT…

A larger battery with 700Wh is currently being developed, however, with the current worldwide supply bottlenecks, we regret that we are unable to provide you with any precise information about future availability. Up to now, we do not have further information which we could provide you.

However, the larger battery will be compatible with the current YT DECOY models.

Should there be any changes in this issue, we will provide it about our website, social media, and of course our YT Newsletter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles