YT Decoy 700WH battery

Boros

Jul 6, 2020
Romania
I spoke with YT a couple of days ago and there was no new news.

FB_IMG_1598790623283.jpg

FB_IMG_1598790627434.jpg

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
To be honest they have been saying it for the last 2 years now. In ~June 2019 when I bought the two Decoy's they had mentioned in their briefings that a 700wh battery was on the way and that you could get a 700wh battery for a reduced price if you owned a Decoy. I think you had to return your 500wh battery. Never heard anything official about the battery other than posted responses from YT to email questions. Would be good if the YT-account would clarify a bit!?

YTPablo

Jun 27, 2020
Scotland
Has the official YT account even commented on anything yet or has it just been created for eavesdropping, I assume the latter but if so then why bother making an official account.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I found it cuious that norco's new battery options are "540", 700? And 900? and i think they maybe the same aftermarket battery manufacturer? Is it darfour or something like that? Smallest one is 540 like our decoy. I guess its not totally impossible that we soon have a larger battery option for our bikes. There is a bit of room for/aft in the exiating downtube ,albeit not a ton of room, and it could be made to be a bit thicker towards the underside. An extender in the water bottle mount thats shaped to take up that whole space could be all i's need and also adds the possibility to pack a 2nd extender. That'd probably be the easiest to customize your battery requirement for individual rides. Half tge time im sure my 540 is enough. The other half id like another 50% and having more than that i could dream up more than a few missions

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
I think they were concerned how the bike rides with the bigger battery, I honestly couldn't give a sh*t and would compensate my riding two turns into the ride. I've never not ridden with a water bottle because of the way it may make the bike feel.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I think they were concerned how the bike rides with the bigger battery, I honestly couldn't give a sh*t and would compensate my riding two turns into the ride. I've never not ridden with a water bottle because of the way it may make the bike feel.
Ya that wouldnt be a problem for me. If it was i wouldnt but a 2.6 super gravity schwalbe with a tannus liner , slu bars, water bottle and a coil shock on my bike or be concerned about it. Im not concerned and wouldnt give them up.
I have heard people suggest that might be yt's concern though. No idea if it is or not though

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
If it comes out now it will be smaller than the rest of the other 2022 bikes. Bosch just came out with the 750W powertube. So glad I never bought a decoy.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
If it comes out now it will be smaller than the rest of the other 2022 bikes. Bosch just came out with the 750W powertube. So glad I never bought a decoy.
I guess it depends on what youre after. If 700w wont do what you need would 2 x 540 be better than just a 750 bosch for range and keep the bike lighter with only one battery on at a time? Nico Vouilloz prefers a lighter battery.
Would the preposed new 700w battery with "trailwatts" extender be enough at 800ish watts?
Maybe even a 540 plus an extender?
There ate options currently. Im kind of on the fence. I can see the advantages of a 2 battery system.. its like layer clothes in the winter. Stack layers to fit the day.
The bike is a nice ride and very versatile

Neloz

Aug 10, 2021
London
Has anyone had any contact with YT to see what the status is? I'm starting to think that they'll release it as part of an "Uncaged" model of their Decoy in 2022. My guess is it's taking sooooooo long with parts being so sparse at the moment that getting their custom battery built, tested then mass produced is just taking an extraordinary amount of time.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
My guess is it's taking sooooooo long with parts being so sparse at the moment that getting their custom battery built, tested then mass produced is just taking an extraordinary amount of time.

My guess is parts being scarce has nothing to do with it. I think they "thought about it" before they actually figured out how to (not) implement it.

It's been over 2 years since they CLAIMED they would have a 700W battery.

Their infamous press release early 2019 has simply never come to fruition and was the main reason I sold my Decoy.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I guess it depends on what youre after. If 700w wont do what you need would 2 x 540 be better than just a 750 bosch for range and keep the bike lighter with only one battery on at a time? Nico Vouilloz prefers a lighter battery.
Would the preposed new 700w battery with "trailwatts" extender be enough at 800ish watts?
Maybe even a 540 plus an extender?
There ate options currently. Im kind of on the fence. I can see the advantages of a 2 battery system.. its like layer clothes in the winter. Stack layers to fit the day.
The bike is a nice ride and very versatile
Very well said! I am extremely happy with how well the Decoy performs and not sure if I would trade a possible drop in capability for more range . I guess one learns how to "manage" the range a 540w will give them and have considered getting an additional battery for longer days in the saddle.

Had a 2nd gen Spesh Levo S-Works with a 700w battery and currently have a Yeti 160e that comes standard with a 630w battery. Never ran out of battery on a ride with my Decoy just by using common sense and have not had any issues with Shimano motor or battery on my Decoy.

Quite the contrary with the Levo. Initially Levo had excellent range until the battery mysteriously died less the 6 months after purchasing. Was replaced immediately with warranty still in effect and replacement battery must have been a refurb, only had 60% or range versus battery that came on bike. After making a stink at lbs and having to show them "proof" the replacement battery had less range, received another "new" battery that had slighly more range then original refurb battery.

Would say the range on my Yeti is very close to what I got on my Levo when it was new. Not say I wouldn't upgrade to a 700w battery if YT ever brings to market, but I wouldn't eliminate the Decoy from consideration based just on battery size. Can understand why others do and thats a personal decision. Just so happy with how well the Decoy shreds and fortunate to have another emtb if I'm in the mood for more of a trail or enduro ride.

20211225_131345.jpg

20211225_131434.jpg

20211225_131423.jpg

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
Three show stopper problems with the decoy.

1. Proprietary battery and not off the shelf replacement ready
2. Battery about two years behind in capacity and getting left further behind each day
3. Doesn't have the Bosch drive system

I can only assume there's someone at YT that knows this. Hopefully they will revamp the bike ASAP.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
My guess is parts being scarce has nothing to do with it. I think they "thought about it" before they actually figured out how to (not) implement it.

It's been over 2 years since they CLAIMED they would have a 700W battery.

Their infamous press release early 2019 has simply never come to fruition and was the main reason I sold my Decoy.

not to say it will happen but covid started in 2019 so... there is a chance.. id say since they kept same config for new iterations that 700 is still in play.

Himotoma

Oct 1, 2021
Rhode Island
I believe that the 700w battery is 100 percent still going to come out. I truly believe the issue now is that they can barely keep up with demand for the decoy with 540w battery, how are they going to divert resources to start making the 700w. It would make no sense.

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
The decoy is already a dated platform. I don't think we see a 700w on this model now unfortunately.
Appreciate YT is a small company but they have been left behind by pretty much everyone now.

Looking forward to a newer longer range decoy 🤞

Himotoma

Oct 1, 2021
Rhode Island
I have to dig through my emails. But they reassured me to buy with confidence that this current frame configuration will get a 700w battery. (edit: they said there will be a larger battery option)

Last edited:

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
The decoy is already a dated platform. I don't think we see a 700w on this model now unfortunately.
Appreciate YT is a small company but they have been left behind by pretty much everyone now.

Looking forward to a newer longer range decoy 🤞

In what way do you think it's dated and left behind? Just the battery? Or you talking geo etc?

they always get pretty high ratings in tests even now.

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
The bike rides amazing, but it is 3+ years old now. Normally bikes will get revisions around this sort of shelf life.
A 620w battery now seems low in the ebike market.
A simple piggy back system could have worked when they released the EP8.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
The bike rides amazing, but it is 3+ years old now. Normally bikes will get revisions around this sort of shelf life.
A 620w battery now seems low in the ebike market.
A simple piggy back system could have worked when they released the EP8.
For sure on range although not sure much is else to too far behind... shorter reach than some.. maybe steep seat angle although that's preference.. as is chain stay length.

I have a decoy and keep looking at new bike to upgrade to but nothing sticks out as being much more advanced than what I have.

for time being I'm just waiting for next evolution in tech to make the jump.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
For sure on range although not sure much is else to too far behind... shorter reach than some.. maybe steep seat angle although that's preference.. as is chain stay length.

I have a decoy and keep looking at new bike to upgrade to but nothing sticks out as being much more advanced than what I have.

for time being I'm just waiting for next evolution in tech to make the jump.
@seamarsh well said brother! Love my Decoy because it'san awesome bike! Simple put, it just performs. Bigger battery would be nice as long as it doesn't change the ride quality. Reach is shorter than other bikes and you just have to size up. I added a coil to my Decoy and it Shreds lol!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Three show stopper problems with the decoy.

1. Proprietary battery and not off the shelf replacement ready
2. Battery about two years behind in capacity and getting left further behind each day
3. Doesn't have the Bosch drive system

I can only assume there's someone at YT that knows this. Hopefully they will revamp the bike ASAP.
Not too keen on Bosch handlebar controller. Kinda cumbersome.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
YT will have something up their sleeves in regards a new Decoy for sure. But it's highly unlikely we'll see a bigger battery for the existing Decoy. The demand for lithium for batteries has pushed the price of lithium up 500% the last year, so 3 year old models will be very low down on the pecking order when it comes to batteries.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles