Levo SL Gen 1 Which direction to take off/extract SL crank?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I've removed the left hand threaded outer ring with a cassette tool. Which way do I now turn the 8mm hex to remove the crank? Is it clockwise or anti-clockwise? It seems to be locked on pretty tight.
thanks?
Am I supposed to leave the outer cassette tool ring on??

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
To answer my own question....
1. slightly loosen the outer ring with a cassette tool by turning clockwise.
2. Apply a huge amount of weight and pressure with a long 8mm hex tool... anti-clockwise on the inner bolt until the bolt 'cracks' free.
3. Continue turning as the crank self extracts.

Last edited:

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
According to Praxis (who I contacted before I removed the crank) we should not touch the outer ring. Your #2 and 3 are what I did (and it worked) :) I wrote to Praxis about having trouble getting the outer ring to 20 n*m and they replied 15 n*m with loctite blue should be ok.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
SL1.1 Motor - I've accidentally removed the crank arm by loosening the outer ring with a cassette tool then loosening the centre bolt with an 8mm hex. I now know you're only supposed to use the centre bolt for removal and fitting. Now that I've loosened the outer ring and inner bolt what is the tightening order for re-fitting the crank arms?

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
SL1.1 Motor - I've accidentally removed the crank arm by loosening the outer ring with a cassette tool then loosening the centre bolt with an 8mm hex. I now know you're only supposed to use the centre bolt for removal and fitting. Now that I've loosened the outer ring and inner bolt what is the tightening order for re-fitting the crank arms?
I emailed Praxis tech support about this and Praxis recommended:
"Try to tighten the outer cap (carefully) first and then tighten the bolt. If this seems to be a problem, then remove both the bolt and cap and thread the entire assembly back into the crank/spindle."

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles