When do you finally learn to "look where you want to go"?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
It's a common message from coaches, both at the auto racetrack and on the MTB trail. The vehicle will go where you're looking, so be sure to look where you want to go. Don't look at the scary thing you want to miss. If you look at the scary thing, you will head straight for it.

I'm slowly getting better at this for the 98% of my ride that is not so gnarly. But again today, on a narrow off camber trail across a steep slope, my front tire fell off the trail surface and onto the steeper slope, and I immediately looked down the scary slope rather than keeping my eyes on the trail. Naturally, I lost control and now have a scuffed arm and leg.

Do you guys have any tricks, like a mantra or something, to teach yourself to only look where you want the bike to go?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was told "don't look at the tree!" and it works. But you can actually use that message to steer. Let me explain.

I had just exited from an extremely gnarly descent and was heading towards a flat bridge over a deep gulley. The bridge was about 4' wide and had a layer of chicken wire, but without any railings. Conditions were slippy and I was going too fast for comfort. I just "knew" that if I braked or turned the bars I was a gonner. Yet I was heading in a straight line to go off the bridge before I got to the mid point! Then I remembered the "don't look at the tree" advice and I wondered if it worked the other way. So I stared as hard as I could at the middle of the bridge, I mean really hard! And wow, I sailed right across the bridge and with enough control and speed to clean the ascent at the other side! I swear that I did not consciously steer the bike and I sure as hell did not brake. It was a powerful lesson.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I had the opposite a month ago I was going up a rock hill and was looking at the top where there was a steep right turn between 2 trees.

Ended up not seeing the trail had washed out halfway up and lost the front, fell backwards but due to clip ins the lower part couldn’t fall back. Have compressed and fractured my 4th vertebrae, spent some time in hospital but on the mend now. It’s interesting I have compressed the 4th vertebrae by 40% which has lowered my height by half a centimetre.

Cant drive for a month or ride for another 2 months.

only good thing is I have just bought a new gen 3 levo pro as it was obviously the bikes fault and the new one will prevent this happening again?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's the same for so many things. Even horse jumping, yup, look down at that huge jump just as you're about to take off and the horse will stop dead and launch you over the bars/head ....

It's a confidence/doubt thing. It just takes time. Some days you can not be in the zone/tired - lacking in confidence for whatever reason - maybe lycra shorts on a cold day was a bad idea. :ROFLMAO:

It's one to practice on flowing bits, or even straight bits with enough space to move around from left to right - pick a direction, look, let the bike follow. Do this as often as possible in situations where it's not important and it slowly becomes second nature, or at least gives the grounding for it to become second nature.

Sometimes you just have to tell yourself to trust the bike/trust yourself - relax - look ahead.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Ride a motorcycle for a few years and it’ll become second nature.

I've not really thought to do this on the ebike but on a dirt bike it makes a massive difference not looking at the scary stuff just in front of you.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
It comes naturally to me because (like the motorcyclists) I have raced on skis and you can only look to where you want to go as it is usually arriving pretty damn quick... Anything you are doing like this but fast forces you into it and then just becomes second nature.

So find an easier trail and increase the speed to get your eyes adjusted to looking ahead rather than down.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
It's a common message from coaches, both at the auto racetrack and on the MTB trail. The vehicle will go where you're looking, so be sure to look where you want to go. Don't look at the scary thing you want to miss. If you look at the scary thing, you will head straight for it.

I'm slowly getting better at this for the 98% of my ride that is not so gnarly. But again today, on a narrow off camber trail across a steep slope, my front tire fell off the trail surface and onto the steeper slope, and I immediately looked down the scary slope rather than keeping my eyes on the trail. Naturally, I lost control and now have a scuffed arm and leg.

Do you guys have any tricks, like a mantra or something, to teach yourself to only look where you want the bike to go?
I was ( and still do if I'm honest ) struggling with tight , hairpin , uphill , off camber switchbacks especially to the right
Had some coaching and he recommended head way up , almost unnaturally high and looking way ahead , even further than the exit of the manoeuvre.
Seemed weird at first and I still have to tell myself to do it but it does work , the only times I mess it up are when I'm not concentrating properly
If I look at the Gnar or my front wheel then it's game over
His advice definitely works , along with lowering the seat / center of gravity a little on this type of manoeuvre
Heads up , look ahead is definitely the way forward on flat out and techy stuff as well

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
First time I hit a tree I learned not to look at them. Kind of weird really as decades back I learned not to look at the landing lip of double jumps on the MX bikes - works the same way.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
If you take a motorcycle CBT course, you have to pull off a U turn in a narrow road without putting your feet down. Unless you swing your head around over your shoulder to look back up the road before you start to turn you're never going to complete the manoeuvre.
Maybe try sharp 180 degree flat turns as tight as you can (using markers) to drill it into yourself.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
....................Ended up not seeing the trail had washed out halfway up and lost the front, fell backwards but due to clip ins the lower part couldn’t fall back. Have compressed and fractured my 4th vertebrae, spent some time in hospital but on the mend now. ................
That is why I don't ride clipped in any more!
Deep sympathy about your back injury. I have no wish to sound negative, but that injury may haunt you for the rest of your life (speaking from experience here). You may have already been told to maintain a strong core to support your lower back. I can 100% second that. It wasn't until I discovered Pilates that I finally got grip on my continuing back problems.
Pilates is not "the answer" for all back problems, but I advised the guy across the street from me who couldn't work because of his back spasms. He took up Pilates and now has his life under control. My brother was plagued with back problems, but wouldn't listen to me until it got really bad, now he's fine!

Pilates offers improvements to your core strength, flexibility, and balance. All of which mesh nicely into MTB. :)

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
It's the same for so many things. Even horse jumping, yup, look down at that huge jump just as you're about to take off and the horse will stop dead and launch you over the bars/head ....

It's a confidence/doubt thing. It just takes time. Some days you can not be in the zone/tired - lacking in confidence for whatever reason - maybe lycra shorts on a cold day was a bad idea. :ROFLMAO:

It's one to practice on flowing bits, or even straight bits with enough space to move around from left to right - pick a direction, look, let the bike follow. Do this as often as possible in situations where it's not important and it slowly becomes second nature, or at least gives the grounding for it to become second nature.

Sometimes you just have to tell yourself to trust the bike/trust yourself - relax - look ahead.

‘I agree that when riding I should be working more on my technique, I have registered for a mountain bike course for later in the year to help with technique.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

You need to buy some of these:
1618691139439.png

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
It’s called Target Fixation. See a brick in the middle of the road and you’ll hit it.
If you have a long plank of wood at home lay it down in the garden and practice riding along it. Look down at the front wheel and you’ll ride off the plank. Look at a spot 10 m beyond the end of the plank and you’ll straight line it perfectly.

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
Try looking at things you can ride on, a leaf on the track, a small stone and aim for these, once you are happy with that use it the other way to avoid things, it works for me.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
OP here - thanks for all the suggestions!

I understand why "looking where you want to go" works, the trick is getting my brain to cooperate, especially during those pucker moments. My action plan is to practice looking ahead at a particular object down the trail (something to focus on briefly, then move the focus to the next object) and to talk to myself out loud when I get to the gnarly bits.

I think I like "Don't look at the tree" better than "Look where you want to go" because "Don't look ..." seems more immediate and more like an order, while "Look where ..." seems like good general advice that I'll forget during those pucker moments.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't look at specific objects and fixate on them at all. Instead, scan ahead the whole time planning your direction. If you've scanned well, your brain still interprets everything you're approaching while you're looking further ahead and the ground just ahead of your wheels comes into your peripheral vision.
The faster you ride the further ahead you should be looking.
looking ahead also gives you better balance on the bike.
Don't be afraid to get off, Walk and learn tricky sections of trail, and plan your route through before riding it. Doing this is how pretty much every really great rider became so good.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Don't be afraid to get off, Walk and learn tricky sections of trail, and plan your route through before riding it. Doing this is how pretty much every really great rider became so good.

I think this is more important then I gave myself time for, I ride with my Son who is a good rider and I felt I was holding him up if I did that, that probably contributed to my accident.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Skiers and motor racers often walk the course to get a lie of the land and plan their routes which is why you sometimes see different racers taking different lines into things.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Skiers and motor racers often walk the course to get a lie of the land and plan their routes which is why you sometimes see different racers taking different lines into things.
I walk every track I race - even if I raced there the week before. It is amazing how you can find a new line walking a section backwards.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Don't look at specific objects and fixate on them at all. Instead, scan ahead the whole time planning your direction. If you've scanned well, your brain still interprets everything you're approaching while you're looking further ahead and the ground just ahead of your wheels comes into your peripheral vision.
The faster you ride the further ahead you should be looking.
looking ahead also gives you better balance on the bike.
Totally agree with all of this , I’m always aware of dangerous obstacles but never focus on them as by the time your brains figured it out you’ve past the obstacle and the next one is coming ! A good way to learn is riding a flowy trail with lots of corners and see how far ahead you can look . The further you look the smoother you will ride with practice. Then do one run looking at the front tyre , it will feel horrible , just don’t crash !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles