When birds attack

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
While I can't say it's proven beyond doubt but after installing eyes in the back of my head, no swoops, no aaark aaark bif, all birds are giving me a wide berth lol.

Maybe large bulging 3d eyes on the back of the helmet do frighten the birdshit out of magpies - less intelligent Australian magpies at least.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
While I can't say it's proven beyond doubt but after installing eyes in the back of my head, no swoops, no aaark aaark bif, all birds are giving me a wide berth lol.

Maybe large bulging 3d eyes on the back of the helmet do frighten the birdshit out of magpies - less intelligent Australian magpies at least.

Magpie psychology goes a lot deeper than that. They're lulling you into a false sense of security whilst consolidating communal ridicule. No, that's not a Kookaburra you can hear.....it's several flocks of Magpies chuckling and getting ready for when you least expect it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Have you considered trying to get them to love you instead ? They might fly along with you in a defensive formation ?

bird.jpg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I am impervious to ridicule. I'll go full Spider Head & get some pics to prove it lol

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Have you considered trying to get them to love you instead ? They might fly along with you in a defensive formation ?

View attachment 39760
I love Magpies but this one bird in particular has a problem with my head. Those costumes would definitely encourage maximum small town vocalised ridicule and, in all probability, intensify the Magpie barrage to Hitchcock magnitudes.
Maybe she just needs a little talk.
They all just need a little talk :) Only problem kamikaze attack Magpies are always male.
Magpie psychology goes a lot deeper than that. They're lulling you into a false sense of security whilst consolidating communal ridicule. No, that's not a Kookaburra you can hear.....it's several flocks of Magpies chuckling and getting ready for when you least expect it.
My garden is full of Currawongs & Kookabuuras. Love Kookaburras but they too can be missiles - though unintentional due to pilot error. Like Controlled Flight into a sliding glass door. He was fine - tough bird he was.

Last edited:

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
True story, I once worked with a motorbike mechanic who would nip up from Vic to Qld every weekend with a cockatoo on his shoulder. On an 1100cc motorbike. With 2 bull terriers fighting across his other shoulder.

Anyway, the cocky would grab hold of the D ring on his chin strap to hold on in the pre speed camera era.....

Can you imagine how cranky that cocky was every Monday morning after hanging on for a 3000 km return trip ?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Brilliant thread?
The only animal hazards near me are stray sheep on the bike path. You Aussies got some of the most poisonous creatures on the planet.... and a kamikaze Magpie. ?
does anyone actually know Why the bird attacks like this? Is it purely territorial?

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Brilliant thread
The only animal hazards near me are stray sheep on the bike path. You Aussies got some of the most poisonous creatures on the planet.... and a kamikaze Magpie.
does anyone actually know Why the bird attacks like this? Is it purely territorial?
Like people, some are just Aholes. Breeding brings out the worst in all but most only act on actual threats. Some attack everything because they enjoy it.
Now we can't cull the bad ones, they are increasing in the population which is why we have many more attacks than years ago.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
That's what I was afraid of. If the Australian Magpie is as smart as I thought it was then it could be a futile search for deterrents despite all the well-meaning and appreciated advice.
I think your eyes will work - they have to be recognisable as eyes. The eyes that she drew were really pathetic and a waste of time. Re the zip ties you have used; I'm not sure that they will do anything. Having zip ties (or something else) pointing upwards or toward the direction of attack is an obstacle for a magpie to overcome on his way to your head. Zip ties hanging down doesn't seem to achieve anything. The eyes work because magpies always attack from behind - if you hear them coming and turn around, they won't get so close.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I think your eyes will work - they have to be recognisable as eyes. The eyes that she drew were really pathetic and a waste of time. Re the zip ties you have used; I'm not sure that they will do anything. Having zip ties (or something else) pointing upwards or toward the direction of attack is an obstacle for a magpie to overcome on his way to your head. Zip ties hanging down doesn't seem to achieve anything. The eyes work because magpies always attack from behind - if you hear them coming and turn around, they won't get so close.
I think you’re right. Relatively large 3d eyes could be the solution to the problem that’s been around since bikes first appeared in Australia.

The giant cable ties were really meant to focus attention on the eyes not scare children. Passers-by would hopefully spot the eyes and then go get some though I’m not sure if Spiderhead is kind of cool or would just invite rotting fruit & eggs to be launched at high speed towards Spiderhead. I’m betting on option 2 in some locations.

Today I rode up & down the spot where I was hit, equiped with the eyes no legs. I saw several magpies including the one I think was the perpetrator. Not even a singular solitary swoop.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I think you’re right. Relatively large 3d eyes could be the solution to the problem that’s been around since bikes first appeared in Australia.

The giant cable ties were really meant to focus attention on the eyes not scare children. Passers-by would hopefully spot the eyes and then go get some though I’m not sure if Spiderhead is kind of cool or would just invite rotting fruit & eggs to be launched at high speed towards Spiderhead. I’m betting on option 2 in some locations.

Today I rode up & down the spot where I was hit, equiped with the eyes no legs. I saw several magpies including the one I think was the perpetrator. Not even a singular solitary swoop.
I think those eyes will keep car drivers at bay too :oops: :ROFLMAO:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
So finally I've been diagnosed, 7 weeks later, with a potentially serious injury from the Gymnorhina tibicen attack. Temporal arteritis can result in permanent vision loss but the doctor seems to think I'll be okay after maximum dose cortisone.

The eyes in the back of the head anglers floats are almost certainly effective in spooking high velocity magpies & potentially preventing serious injury. :cool:

BTW thanks for my new title - it's so apt!

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
All the knobends that say they do no harm.... unbelievable...
Anyway, this is the seasonal decoration on my road helmet. They do work - I still get swooped but I hear their wings, see their shadow hovering and coming in close but no contact.
They strike my MTB lid but with the extra coverage, I haven't bothered. That said, a Butcher bird came in and got me on the ear the other day....I may need to get a Fox Dropframe or similar for next season.
Butcher birds are smaller and less scary but more agile and accurate...hence the ear strike.
20201008_164220.jpg

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
So finally I've been diagnosed, 7 weeks later, with a potentially serious injury from the Gymnorhina tibicen attack. Temporal arteritis can result in permanent vision loss but the doctor seems to think I'll be okay after maximum dose cortisone.

The eyes in the back of the head anglers floats are almost certainly effective in spooking high velocity magpies & potentially preventing serious injury. :cool:

BTW thanks for my new title - it's so apt!

How on earth did maggie trigger temporal arteritis?

:oops:unless you had some weird interaction with Maggie and she passed on herpes ?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I had to look that up and research to find the connection .... ~You can see how little influence I have here, I thought my suggestions of "Bird Brain" and "Feather Head" were much better...

I've highlighted the text in the link with the relevant part :

Haha I think Bird Brain works. Also because it felt like I had a bird lodged in my brain for the last 7 weeks.
How on earth did maggie trigger temporal arteritis?

:oops:unless you had some weird interaction with Maggie and she passed on herpes ?
Well it definitely was a freaky interaction that's for sure but eew now I got bird herpes too?
A 500 gram feathered fuq flying at 50 knots into my temple? No? Now I know you know because you know :) Maybe my recollection from the doctor's surgery today is a bit hazy. Plus I'm not a doctor.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
Never been attacked by a magpie, arctic terns yes (accidentally walked into their nesting area on a pebble beach and was about halfway through when they started dive bombing me), but never magpies or other birds.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles