Heat shrink the bird's nest

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Most of the cables are coming off next week as brakes, shifter, dropper replaced. Cables shortened too, so what better time to complete the look with heat shrink. Looks way better than cable ties or zip clips.

I've never done it before. Just wondered if anyone else has? If they could offer advice on what to buy how how best to do it. Lbs seemed hesitant...I think only because they've not done it before.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
This not only looks way better but no cable rattle. Interested to hear what you guys think.
p4pb13413039.jpeg

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Yeah I guess you just cut it off of that's the case. It's not often you need to replace an outer. I've never had to in all time biking.

Seen those aye. Think I prefer the electrical tape over those.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you go down the heat shrink route, good idea to pull a favour off someone who has done it before. Its not to hard to do if you follow a you tube guide or similar, but it takes practice to get it done cleanly

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
If you go down the heat shrink route, good idea to pull a favour off someone who has done it before. Its not to hard to do if you follow a you tube guide or similar, but it takes practice to get it done cleanly
Good idea. Guess that's why the shop were like 'meh'. Problem being the bike will be in the shop so it's not like I can get people over for beer think I'll watch them videos this weekend. What kinda shops sell the stuff do you know?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've never had to in all time biking.
honestly?
Do you just not hang onto bikes for very long or hardly ever ride in winter/wet conditions?
Better routing to modern rear dmech design means it's a less frequent problem but that last bit of outer that enters the mech still gets corroded/contaminated enough over time to require replacing once in a while on every bike if used a lot in poor conditions,
Dropper cables can need replacing once in a while too IME

But it's not difficult to remove heatshrink either way

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Jagwire outer cable on my dropper post lasted less time than the first motor.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I've never had to in all time biking.
honestly?
Do you just not hang onto bikes for very long or hardly ever ride in winter/wet conditions?
Better routing to modern rear dmech design means it's a less frequent problem but that last bit of outer that enters the mech still gets corroded/contaminated enough over time to require replacing once in a while on every bike if used a lot in poor conditions,
Dropper cables can need replacing once in a while too IME

But it's not difficult to remove heatshrink either way
Seriously, never. I ride in all conditions too, have to at times even when I don't want to. Had the enduro 2.5yrs, didn't need to. All other bikes are about 12-18m none on them. I'm pretty sympathetic on drivetrains too, getting 16 odd months from chain/cassette lol.

Now everything else I seem to break! Or have break on me. Fox 34 in 1 week, fox dps in 2 days, 3x next sl cranks in 12m, 2x ht pedals in 12m. All on one bike. But never an outer cable

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
getting 16 odd months from chain/cassette lol
What's that in miles though?
Most of the coaches i know don't ride very far at all during coaching sessions and don't ride natural muddy trails while coaching either. not the type of mud that forces mud into every orifice and removes every ounce of lubrication from every exposed part or the type that means you're grinding along at a snails pace on the flat for miles. Infact it's almost entirely trailcentre or established enduro/DH tracks they teach at.

I get about 2.5-3000miles+ out of a chain/cassette riding all conditions. Not sure what I'm going to get out of my Ebike's drivetrain as it's my first, but the original KMC? chain/XT cassette has done around 1500miles ATM and showing no evidence of needing replaced anytime soon.

To find the best diameter heatshrink just go to a Maplin/Screwfix (or any good DIY shop that caries electrical stuff) and take 3 short cuts of cable outer with you.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Yeah you're right, coaching sessions are a lot less wear, but when I'm off the clock it's game on

My problem is I don't have a car, so it's guess work and online shopping hence asking.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles