Water ingress and multiple other issues on 2020 trance E+3

BennyGebike

Aug 26, 2020
Barnstaple
I've had my giant trance e+3 2020 since February, I had it for 2 months then went back to giant dealer for multiple issues.
They had the bike 3 months to replace motor as play in crank bearings and every time I washed it no matter how dry I tried to keep it the bike would just turn off as soon as restarted.

Well 3 months and bikes back with new motor as bike shop snapped the loom aswell trying to fit motor and sent it else where as they didn't have a clue.

Rode it 3 times

Gave it and wash and once again it won't restart but this time it just shuts off instant on ride Control, previous before new motor it would work after a few hours.

Does any one else have serious issues with these bikes or the same water issue or is my bike just a heap?

I've litterally had enough of if 6 months ownership 3 months with out it and no end of trouble and also now it's back I've noticed they have put the motor plugs in where battery sits I'm shore was not like this before.

IMG_20200826_212151.jpg

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Return it for refund, find a brand with a decent shop locally, or go direct to customer and start doing your own service.

Any shop that would deliver a bike, to a customer, as clearly FUBAR as your picture's indicate, has no business in business.

I would also contact Gaint directly and show them your post.

Also, never spray your bike with a pressure washer. I wont even hit mine with a hose. I use a bucket, a brush, and a rag. Water ingress seems to effect folks who's bikes are washed with a hose, more than those who ride in mud and rain. This last part is only my opinion based on anecdotal evidence

BennyGebike

Aug 26, 2020
Barnstaple
Return it for refund, find a brand with a decent shop locally, or go direct to customer and start doing your own service.

Any shop that would deliver a bike, to a customer, as clearly FUBAR as your picture's indicate, has no business in business.

I would also contact Gaint directly and show them your post.

Also, never spray your bike with a pressure washer. I wont even hit mine with a hose. I use a bucket, a brush, and a rag. Water ingress seems to effect folks who's bikes are washed with a hose, more than those who ride in mud and rain. This last part is only my opinion based on anecdotal evidence

Giant just fob me off they have been involved since it all started absolute useless company, and I only wash it with bucket and sponge it's insane how bad these bikes are built l, it's going back again tomorrow but I'm ment to be at bike park Wales in it next week.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
That's a disgrace!
Have you been in direct contact with Giant or through the (obviously negligent) dealer?
I cannot believe a company like Giant would condone bodge such as that.

Look into this...

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
I've had my giant trance e+3 2020 since February, I had it for 2 months then went back to giant dealer for multiple issues.
They had the bike 3 months to replace motor as play in crank bearings and every time I washed it no matter how dry I tried to keep it the bike would just turn off as soon as restarted.

Well 3 months and bikes back with new motor as bike shop snapped the loom aswell trying to fit motor and sent it else where as they didn't have a clue.

Rode it 3 times

Gave it and wash and once again it won't restart but this time it just shuts off instant on ride Control, previous before new motor it would work after a few hours.

Does any one else have serious issues with these bikes or the same water issue or is my bike just a heap?

I've litterally had enough of if 6 months ownership 3 months with out it and no end of trouble and also now it's back I've noticed they have put the motor plugs in where battery sits I'm shore was not like this before.

View attachment 38964
I've got a 2019 Trance E+3 and have had a number of issues with water. The water issue is so bad that I'm live in fear each time I wash it. First time was when the bike was 3 weeks old, first wash and water got in the controller. That was replaced with the newer version with better sealing but since then I've had numerous issues with water getting in the connectors under the motor. The only good thing has been that the problem I have had each time is that when the connectors get wet is that you can't switch it off.Every time you power it down it switches itself back 5 seconds later, so when it's doing this I remove the battery. I just make sure that I always have a key close by.
I'm constantly removing the lower engine cover and drying out these connectors. Luckily in Australia there isn't much in the way of rain so riding is usually safe but it's still annoying that I live in fear of dark clouds on the horizon.:eek:

BennyGebike

Aug 26, 2020
Barnstaple
That's a disgrace!
Have you been in direct contact with Giant or through the (obviously negligent) dealer?
I cannot believe a company like Giant would condone bodge such as that.

Look into this...

Giant have been in contact since day 1 of it going wrong, and they have been absolutely useless tbh a awfull company to deal with.
I liked the way it rode so kept with the bike and the issues but this is beyond a joke now how crap it is, a emtb should be allowed to get wet and go off road.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
I've had my 2020 Trance E+3 since December 2019 and the very first ride was in snow up to 2 feet deep. It's been completely soaked in water and mud during a typical British winter and in 1000 miles has given me no trouble whatsoever. Either I'm very lucky or you guys are very unlucky.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
Giant have been in contact since day 1 of it going wrong, and they have been absolutely useless tbh a awfull company to deal with.
I liked the way it rode so kept with the bike and the issues but this is beyond a joke now how crap it is, a emtb should be allowed to get wet and go off road.

Terrible, I reckon I'll be looking elsewhere for my next bike.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Giant just fob me off they have been involved since it all started absolute useless company, and I only wash it with bucket and sponge it's insane how bad these bikes are built l, it's going back again tomorrow but I'm ment to be at bike park Wales in it next week.
I love my trance and ride in mud almost constantly. But, I have a good dealer who gets me warranty parts when legit, and let's me do my own service.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've had my 2020 Trance E+3 since December 2019 and the very first ride was in snow up to 2 feet deep. It's been completely soaked in water and mud during a typical British winter and in 1000 miles has given me no trouble whatsoever. Either I'm very lucky or you guys are very unlucky.
Yeah! That's been my experience as well, but in Northern Kentucky during an unusually wet summer of mud. Mine has somewhere between 2500 and 4000 miles.

Dont get me wrong, Gaint had pissed me off tremendously with the lack of information and loser app, but the bike has been awesome.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Something a bit amiss here. The troubles of water ingress on the Trance E are fairly well reported, but most of your issues seem to be down to dealing with a really shitty store. Is it an actual Giant store or a Giant dealer or just a lbs stocking Giant bikes?

I can't believe any official Giant service centre is snapping a wiring loom on an eMTB (or returning the bike incorrectly assembled as yours is!).

BennyGebike

Aug 26, 2020
Barnstaple
Something a bit amiss here. The troubles of water ingress on the Trance E are fairly well reported, but most of your issues seem to be down to dealing with a really shitty store. Is it an actual Giant store or a Giant dealer or just a lbs stocking Giant bikes?

I can't believe any official Giant service centre is snapping a wiring loom on an eMTB (or returning the bike incorrectly assembled as yours is!).

Both shops are giant dealers and both said they don't really know what to do and giant gave no advice on what to do, it's been sent around many giant shops to try sort I'm guessing will be going back to factory now.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Both shops are giant dealers and both said they don't really know what to do and giant gave no advice on what to do, it's been sent around many giant shops to try sort I'm guessing will be going back to factory now.
Well then leave town I guess. You have no dealer who I would trust to tie a shoelace.
The problem is simple, who ever worked on it destroyed it, and it needs to be replaced.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Contact | Giant Bicycles UK

I have a complaint. What do I do?
If you ordered from one of our retailers please contact the retailer. If you ordered through our Giant UK or Giant Stores websites or you are not satisfied with a Giant retailer's response please contact us at Freephone 0800 0159 110 between 9am and 5pm, Monday-Friday (except public bank holidays) or fillout our contact form..

As I said, 80% of your problem seems to be the retailers you are dealing with, cut them out of the loop and see how you get on.

Or, as @MrTeno2U said. Take the bike back to where you bought it and insist on a refund. If you used a credit card or have finance you might have a bit of extra leverage in that regard.

BennyGebike

Aug 26, 2020
Barnstaple
Contact | Giant Bicycles UK

I have a complaint. What do I do?
If you ordered from one of our retailers please contact the retailer. If you ordered through our Giant UK or Giant Stores websites or you are not satisfied with a Giant retailer's response please contact us at Freephone 0800 0159 110 between 9am and 5pm, Monday-Friday (except public bank holidays) or fillout our contact form..

As I said, 80% of your problem seems to be the retailers you are dealing with, cut them out of the loop and see how you get on.

Or, as @MrTeno2U said. Take the bike back to where you bought it and insist on a refund. If you used a credit card or have finance you might have a bit of extra leverage in that regard.
Giant direct are who I started with when issues came and they just said let retailer sort it, honestly I've had many emails and calls with giant and they have been useless.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
Giant direct are who I started with when issues came and they just said let retailer sort it, honestly I've had many emails and calls with giant and they have been useless.
So your plan is... ?

Sorry, not meaning to be rude dude, but if your retailer is the one who has buggered all this up so far and your not going to press Giant directly on the problems... I'm struggling to see where you go from there? Sell the bike?

Last edited:

BennyGebike

Aug 26, 2020
Barnstaple
Trying to get refund but was hoping I wasn't the only one with a horrendous bike and was hoping if Amy one had any fixes that I could tell giant if they wanted to try sort it again

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
I'm just hoping the place you bought it from is the same place that mangled your wiring. If not, you may have trouble getting that refund.

If you just had the water ingress problem, it's fairly common and people will have some help and advice. But the biggest problem with that bike is not what was supplied, but what has been done to it.

Hope you get something worked out.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
Sorry to hear you troubles.
I have a Trance e+3 and no issues at all with motor. I ride in UK mud and wash bike with hose on low. 1500 miles on Garmin.

BennyGebike

Aug 26, 2020
Barnstaple
Sorry to hear you troubles.
I have a Trance e+3 and no issues at all with motor. I ride in UK mud and wash bike with hose on low. 1500 miles on Garmin.

Joined giant ebike Facebook page and I'm not alone, loans of bikes returned for water issues and poor electrics :(

Found battery plug corroded tonight so when goes back tomorrow to have it put back together properly since there last try they can also replace this plug/loom and try water proof it for future.

IMG_20200827_193903.jpg

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I had an issue cos I washed bike upside down but that's my fault since then I've put foam rubber seal round the edge of frame where the battery goes in took motor cover off and cover connectors in water repellent grease and ride through a UK winter in the north (much worse ) lol and through rivers had no issue now I'm aware I shouldn't have to do this but I liked the bike so figured ways round it ? they have put the connectors in the wrong place as well there suppose to be under motor cover ! If I'd had your issues I'd take it back and demand a refund if not email giant from a solicitor quite cheap to do and state your statutory rights hope you get it sorted mate ?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I have washed my bike (giant fathom e+2 pro) dozens of times without "big issues". The only issue is after washing it some water remains in the battery compartment. So after washing it I always remove the battery and remove the water that should not be there but it is harmless (in mi bike at least).

The connectors should not be there!!! In case you want to connect a light you will need a very long cable and it will be very hard to pass it through! omg!

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
I have washed my bike (giant fathom e+2 pro) dozens of times without "big issues". The only issue is after washing it some water remains in the battery compartment. So after washing it I always remove the battery and remove the water that should not be there but it is harmless (in mi bike at least).

The connectors should not be there!!! In case you want to connect a light you will need a very long cable and it will be very hard to pass it through! omg!
I don't know about the Fathom but on the Trance the light connection is actually just above the lock where the cable from the Ridecontrol enters the frame

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Exactly, I have a thread on how to install a light on most giant ebikes. But the dealer has moved the motor connectors and light connector to the battery compartment on BennyGebike's bike!

Carajean

Aug 15, 2020
Michigan
I wonder if testing it like a car and using a blower to get the water out of every nook. I have the liv bike hoping this doesn't happen to me but I've been using waterless wash because it's just dusty

BennyGebike

Aug 26, 2020
Barnstaple
Any one got a guide on where the wiring is ment to route on this bike as giant apparently can't get it to fault even when they washed it.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
No guide here, but some tips are:
- All the connectors of the motor must be between the motor and the frame (you need to remove the motor to access to them)
- Except the connector for the speed sensor, that must be accesible between the motor and the motor bottom protector (you need to remove the motor protector only).
- The light and display (or ride control one) connectors should be located above the battery lock, only accesible if unmounting the lock or through the rubber where the cables leave the frame at the top.
- NO connectors on the battery compartment (except for the battery connector itself xD). Only the 3 cables (shifter, brake, controller+light)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles