Levo Gen 2 Warranty extension & Firmware Update for all 2019/20 Levo/Kenevo with 2.1 motors

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After a while the engine starts to emit a creaking sound when climbing hils. Like there is some sort of cog or perhaps the belt i straining. The sound goes away when you pedal on a flat trail, but as soon as you put a bit of preasuer it comes back.
Have you got a video of the sound ??

Just out of curiosity, what mode are you in eco/trail/turbo when this happens and what cadence does it happen at ?

Bearman

Sep 17, 2020
Trondheim, Norway
Have you got a video of the sound ??

Just out of curiosity, what mode are you in eco/trail/turbo when this happens and what cadence does it happen at ?
The creaking sound is in all modes and all cadences , it starts when you start climbing a hill and feels like its due to torque.I have got a video of the last engine failure, which sounded really bad, but not one from the new engine, which was replaced a forthnight ago.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
Great that the waranty is now 4 years, you need it. I am on my third motor already. Just got a new on installed, and I went out to try it. Again it seem to have the same failure. After a while the engine starts to emit a creaking sound when climbing hils. Like there is some sort of cog or perhaps the belt i straining. The sound goes away when you pedal on a flat trail, but as soon as you put a bit of preasuer it comes back. Im starting to totaly loose confidence in the Brose motor, and thiking of canceling my purcase and getting my money back. I cant belive Specialiced has not managed to fix the issues with this motor yet. Its been on the market for almost 2,5 year.
Which bike and which year is that ?

Bearman

Sep 17, 2020
Trondheim, Norway
In Norway the purchase laws are such. If the product you has a faliure or needs repair, and you have the same failure 3 times, you can legaly get your return the product and get your money back.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
In Norway the purchase laws are such. If the product you has a faliure or needs repair, and you have the same failure 3 times, you can legaly get your return the product and get your money back.
Tempted to move to Norway (been in Oslo and Asker og Baerum once, and I kinda liked it there)... :)

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Woo-hoo. Got my bike sorted yesterday with new upgraded motor, another connector cable (even though I had that replaced a few months back). I can now ride again, cautiously to start. Of course, it's pissing down all weekend.

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Does anyone know by looking at the serial number of the motor which motor they have? If I have the new one installed
There’s a thread somewhere detailing exactly what you’re after but you’ll have to search for it as I can’t remember which one ?

edit...it’s in this thread somewhere ??

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
This all sounds so familiar. My 2018 Kenevo was back to my LBS 11 times and my 2020 Levo Expert 5 times in 4 weeks and as one post said above, totally lost confidence in the bikes. Total of over 1100 miles back and forth to my LBS (who were great by the way).

In both cases, i got a full refund. The Kenevo was 15 months old, the Levo 5 months old.

I have since gone Cube and (touch wood) not a single issue since June, with the exception of motor cover breaking on first ride. So have fitted a Stand-Up cover. Been great since

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
So now I know for sure that I ride like a pussy. Bought a Levo Comp in March, >1000km in all 3 modes including turbo uphill, 100kg, nothing broken except the rear derailleur that I killed by my own fault.

Edit: had to true the rear wheel in between

Last edited:

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
!!!
Third Motor Build Date 20.06.22, FW 7.3.6, and did 1'800km on it. This morning I was on a bike run washed and recharched it. now I can't start it! I hear a 'beeb' and the lights where you charch it they don't turn off when closing the charching plug (you can see them) There is no light on the TUC and you can't turn it on! NO motor support at all!
Did one of you also ever had such behaver?
The Plug is closed.

683D4717-A0F8-4B6E-9CEA-429298CF22D6.jpeg

Last edited:

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
Is it still not possible to update the firmware myself without going into the store? Knowing my store they might want to charge me for the update... I'm moving to a rural area and wanted to get this update before going.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Is it still not possible to update the firmware myself without going into the store? Knowing my store they might want to charge me for the update... I'm moving to a rural area and wanted to get this update before going.
Think you can now sure there was a post a few days ago.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
!!!
Third Motor Build Date 20.06.22, FW 7.3.6, and did 1'800km on it. This morning I was on a bike run washed and recharched it. now I can't start it! I hear a 'beeb' and the lights where you charch it they don't turn off when closing the charching plug (you can see them) There is no light on the TUC and you can't turn it on! NO motor support at all!
Did one of you also ever had such behaver?
The Plug is closed.

View attachment 45098
The power cord likely has some moisture or is damaged

i remedied the issue by opening the cover and removed the cord to completely dry (crank arm will need to be removed). This fixed the issue for the meantime. I eventually replaced the cord with the new version under warranty

the green lights on the battery were also blinking while power cord was connected when the issue occurred.

Paul willis

Jun 11, 2020
Wisbech
Clean the plug also if you can see the green lights it not plugged in properly I had this problem as they are magnetic it picked up small piece of swarf and stopped it going going allthe way home

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Smoother motor .. better walk mode (it works again) .. more attractive to the opposite sex (different thread) - theoretically, higher reliability due to the removal of the pulse problem.
I updated maybe 3 months ago done at dealer in Inverness had to be done there. Been away for 7 weeks so there was another update on motor when I switched on bike . What u think

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Rode mine today and charged it fully after, now it turns on then flashes red blue and turns off ! I’ve taken the mode switch indoors to overnight and see tomo !

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Rode mine today and charged it fully after, now it turns on then flashes red blue and turns off ! I’ve taken the mode switch indoors to overnight and see tomo !
If it was wet hopefully dry out. I haven't had that problem since last Xmas,when I got new cable. dare I say that

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I updated maybe 3 months ago done at dealer in Inverness had to be done there. Been away for 7 weeks so there was another update on motor when I switched on bike . What u think
Personally, if it was me, I'd update it.

As with most things, there's going to be two different views. The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" which blends with the "Don't update, they're going to make your bike slower and take features away" view.

The majority of changes in a firmware updates fix tiny software problems. The "If it ain't broke" is actually "You just don't know it's broke".

They're constantly testing and refining. Improving the efficiency and range, improving how the motor responds and probably most importantly, improving the reliability by making it smoother in how it engages and delivers power - which is in everyones interest. The sooner you make a change which will improve longevity, the longer it will last !

There was one massive boob, the walk mode downgrade, which was added to the base firmware by Brose. Fortunate Brose and Spesh worked together on this one and came up with a solution which was part of the first OTA update.

On the flip side, one of the most welcome firmware upgrades was the change on the 1.3 motors from 16amps to 20amps. So just like that, you got a 25% more powerful bike than you had the day before.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

As with most things, there's going to be two different views. The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" which blends with the "Don't update, they're going to make your bike slower and take features away" view.

The majority of changes in a firmware updates fix tiny software problems. The "If it ain't broke" is actually "You just don't know it's broke".

They're constantly testing and refining. Improving the efficiency and range, improving how the motor responds and probably most importantly, improving the reliability by making it smoother in how it engages and delivers power - which is in everyones interest. The sooner you make a change which will improve longevity, the longer it will last !

There was one massive boob, the walk mode downgrade, which was added to the base firmware by Brose. Fortunate Brose and Spesh worked together on this one and came up with a solution which was part of the first OTA update.

On the flip side, one of the most welcome firmware upgrades was the change on the 1.3 motors from 16amps to 20amps. So just like that, you got a 25% more powerful bike than you had the day before.

Agreed, I’ve not actually noticed much power difference than before, maybe less of a “stamping on the accelerator” feel but cant say its any slower. The walk mode for me was rubbish even with the 6.x firmware and failed to work for most of the time.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Had a problem 4 days ago I thought another motor was on way out. At first thought chain jumping but not that old. Anyway turns out pawls were sticking some silly sausage put a wee bit grease on new freehub about 500 miles ago . Updated after I got fixed so was out on a very wet run yesterday it seems smoother or is that just me. Get out the morn and try walk assist , I was finding last update it took a couple of seconds to kick in I don't use it much to be honest.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles