Tyre cleaning

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Anyone got any tips on making their tyres look new again? I use tyre gloss on my car tyres and they look amazing but wondered if anyone uses any particular products on their bike tyres. Using water alone just makes them look a bit dull and dry afterwards.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
BITD one mate of mine was a complete tyre whore and serial tyre swapper. Whatever the magazines he bought said was new/good he simply had to buy and because of this he never ever used any set of tyres more than 10 rides before selling them on (barely worn).
Before selling he'd put them in the dishwasher to make them look new.

[TRUESTORY]

Chuckles

Feb 16, 2020
Us
New bike in a can, makes the whole bike look like it has been shined. DO NOT GET ON ROTORS OR PADS, you will be sorry. I also do not put on my seat, makes it slick. That's just me though

SC1 - MaximaUSA

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Muc-Off Silicone shine. (As used by our dear leader Rob, to make his bikes look shiny).
Do not get this on your tyre tread, or brakes, or grips, or saddle.
Muc-Off Silicone shine. (As used by our dear leader Rob, to make his bikes look shiny).
Do not get this on your tyre tread, or brakes, or grips, or saddle.

I’ve got Muc Off Bike Protect. I could try rubbing some of that on the tyre rims and see?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Silicone on the expensive soft compound rubber product you bought to help gain purchase against the surfaces you ride?

Darwin would be proud

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
It’s a complex process so here goes, oh and this works every time: wash them with soapy water and lightly wash them down with a sprinkle hose attachment, then leave to dry, then any commercial tyre shine or silicone spray....boom

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Anyone got any tips on making their tyres look new again? I use tyre gloss on my car tyres and they look amazing but wondered if anyone uses any particular products on their bike tyres. Using water alone just makes them look a bit dull and dry afterwards.
A good scrub with Muc-Off Bike Wash Concentrate works a treat as does Fairy Liquid.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Why bother?? They will soon get mucky again!
Got covered in sheep shit this morning..its stinking my garage out ....I’ ll never eat lamb again.....
any detergent and lge scrubbing brush did the trick........will avoid that route for a few weeks until the rains wash it all away.
Keep pedalling peeps( not more than 6 in a group). But there are several groups going the same way at the same time. Not me hossifer!

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Why!? Do they need to shine? Why does the rest of the bike need to shine? And not the tires!?
Besides, there is the added advantage that when silicone spray is applied the dirt and mud, does not stick to the tire as bad, making it easier to clean next time! Just hose it down.. and they look new again!
I too like to see my tire walls nice and shiny after a good bike wash.. and no you don't need to go get any fancy brand names.. any old silicone spray you can buy for cheap at any local hardware store will make them shine like new!!!
But as mentioned - do not spray directly on the tire!!!! To avoid getting it on disc rotors and pads. Always spray on a wrag, downwind from bike and apply.
Tim.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Got (my tyres) covered in sheep shit this morning..its stinking my garage out ....I’ ll never eat lamb again.....
any detergent and lge scrubbing brush did the trick......................
The only thing I have found to reliably remove dried sheep muck (and importantly the green stain it leaves behind) is to ride over lots of dry sand.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
BITD one mate of mine was a complete tyre whore and serial tyre swapper. Whatever the magazines he bought said was new/good he simply had to buy and because of this he never ever used any set of tyres more than 10 rides before selling them on (barely worn).
Before selling he'd put them in the dishwasher to make them look new.

[TRUESTORY]
He obviously lived alone. ??

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Muc off Bike protect sure smells nice but the green ceramic dry lube is rather sickly sweet.

Very interested to know what the Silicone shine smells like. Exactly like the Bike protect or different?

All a psychological marketing trick of course but I’d rather my tyres smell of aromatic essence of roses ? than the putrefying excrement of a bovine intestine ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles