Turbo Levo 2018 Battery problem

Skruden

Dec 30, 2018
Brunei
Got news from our local dealer (Brunei) I have a void warranty for my battery because I was using BLevo. Bought new battery just to keep riding. The battery did not seem to connect to the motor but have BT connection. The sale person connects it to PC for diagnosing, instead the battery gone haywire... speechless. Anyway does anybody know where can I send the battery for repair?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Got news from our local dealer (Brunei) I have a void warranty for my battery because I was using BLevo. Bought new battery just to keep riding. The battery did not seem to connect to the motor but have BT connection. The sale person connects it to PC for diagnosing, instead the battery gone haywire... speechless. Anyway does anybody know where can I send the battery for repair?

If I would be you, I would ask @Specialized Rider Care for their support. According to my opinion it’s impossible that BLEvo can cause your battery to fail. For me it feels your LBS in Brunei is just using a simple excuse to end your claim. Possibly they do not understand what BLEvo can and can’t do.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
If I would be you, I would ask @Specialized Rider Care for their support. According to my opinion it’s impossible that BLEvo can cause your battery to fail. For me it feels your LBS in Brunei is just using a simple excuse to end your claim. Possibly they do not understand what BLEvo can and can’t do.
Yeah, I think a lot of people think if you use BLEvo you must automatically hack and go past the 25kmh power limit. This is not the case and BLEvo can be used without altering the speed/power cut out. I’ve had Specialized tell me to use it when their Mission Control app was down. As long as I did not break the speed limiter.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Short answer to a potentially complex question - use of BLEvo does not automatically void warranty. Changing speed limit/wheel circumference below 2000 is the core issue - our systems/apps do not support this, current bikes/firmware do not support this and BLevo prompts you with "Are you sure?" questions when you attempt to adjust speed limit, even with older bikes.

To dig deeper into this specific issue I suggest that the original poster explains a little more about the issue, how/when it happened, whether speed limit had been adjusted and who the retailer is. As a new battery has already been purchased, there may not be much we can do here.

Last edited:

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
Short answer to a potentially complex question - use of BLevo does not automatically void warranty. Changing speed limit/wheel circumference below 2000 is the core issue - our systems/apps do not support this, current bikes/firmware do not support this and BLevo prompts you with "Are you sure?" questions when you attempt to adjust speed limit, even with older bikes.

To dig deeper into this specific issue I suggest that the original poster explains a little more about the issue, how/when it happened, whether speed limit had been adjusted and who the retailer is. As a new battery has already been purchased, there may not be much we can do here.
Good to see Specialized responding. However, would have thought that, if nothing untoward was done, then a refund (full or partial) would be in order. Plus some training for the bike shop! After all (a bit like Oakley) we knowingly overpay for spec to get better customer service and aftersales support.....

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Short answer to a potentially complex question - use of BLevo does not automatically void warranty. Changing speed limit/wheel circumference below 2000 is the core issue - our systems/apps do not support this, current bikes/firmware do not support this and BLevo prompts you with "Are you sure?" questions when you attempt to adjust speed limit, even with older bikes.

Thanks @Specialized Rider Care again for your valued support and comments!

May I just ask you one question more of which I am sure it’s a burning question at many other riders too? If we all agree wheel circumference setting of 2000 is the minimum allowed (inline with current dealer software) for Levo 2019 latest firmware 2.026, why can’t you develop a new firmware version where the user is able to change this value to a minimum of 2000mm via BLEvo or MC without voiding your warranty policy?

Today it needs a visit to my LBS which is a waste of my and their time when I want to adjust the value for example when riding with a 2nd wheelset.

See my comment above as a potential future improvement. Thanks for your support!

Last edited:

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
If we all agree wheel circumference setting of 2000 is the minimum allowed (inline with current dealer software) for Levo 2019 latest firmware 2.026, why can’t you develop a new firmware version where the user is able to change this value to a minimum of 2000mm via BLEvo or MC without voiding your warranty policy?

Understood @Maastricht - I will ask our Digital team again to see if plans have changed, we know this change felt like a retrograde step. However, industry/regulatory guidelines drove this change. Do bear in mind that the wheel circumference for our stock 29" wheel/tire combinations is 2300mm, whereas for 27.5" wheels with 2.8" tires is 2250-60mm. If you are constantly changing between wheel sizes, setting to an average of 2275-80 will have less than 1% (i.e. negligible) effect on speed/distance measurement with connected devices whereas setting to 2000 will see measurement more than 10% out.

Last edited:

Gogogordo

May 10, 2018
San Francisco
Hey @ speshcare guy,
What if you change the speed limit by accident on blevo, and then go back, would that still on the warranty if you had an issue with the bike?
Thank you!

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hey @ speshcare guy,
What if you change the speed limit by accident on blevo, and then go back, would that still on the warranty if you had an issue with the bike?
Thank you!
Nowadays when LBS updates your bike's firmware, they see the whole history. Also tire size changes. Of course, Specialized has the same information.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles