Thoughts on Trance E+1 pro motor bearing failure?

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
Hey People
So the bearings in my 2019 Trance E+1 pro 2019 (purchased 29/10/18) motor have decided to die!
I took the bike to the Giant store from which it was purchased and booked it in for repair under warranty all good.
I was told by the guys that they would look at it the next day and let me know what Giant say.

Today has rolled in and the store have told me that Giant are not replacing or repairing it under warranty as the bearings are a wear and tear item!
The bike has done less than 1500miles is always cleaned after every ride and no its never been jet washed or hosed, it has been out it the uk weather so rain mud and the likes but always well maintained.
Am I wrong in thinking that this is not right! as in surely its still under warranty and motor bearings should surely be covered?
If anyone has any thoughts or insight into this please feel free

Thanks

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
You could try the sale of goods act and claim it’s not fit for purpose. But that would be a claim against the shop and not giant themselves. I had to use that argument when my free hub went after 3 months. Good luck!

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Did they say how much the repair would cost out of pocket?

I would not consider a sealed bearing, in a sealed drive unit, a normal wear item under any circumstances, but if the repair cost was reasonable, timely, and guaranteed, I might not flip out completely on them.

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
Did they say how much the repair would cost out of pocket?

I would not consider a sealed bearing, in a sealed drive unit, a normal wear item under any circumstances, but if the repair cost was reasonable, timely, and guaranteed, I might not flip out completely on them.
Thats the issue, they want £301.98 and it could take up to 4 weeks!
Performance linebearings can replace all bearings and have it back to me in 5 days!
The store says that they have to send ig to Giant who in turn send it to yamaha apparently!

Noxiller

May 22, 2020
Germany
I think it's not that hard to replace the bearings by yourself but ofc I can understand that you are more or less ****from the poor quality and the way giant /LBS acts.

Maybe this video can help you in case you want to try it.

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
I think it's not that hard to replace the bearings by yourself but ofc I can understand that you are more or less ****from the poor quality and the way giant /LBS acts.

Maybe this video can help you in case you want to try it.

Thanks mate
I have already spoken to Peter at Performanceline bearings(great guy and very helpful) he can replace all the bearings for almost half of what giant want for it and can have it turned around in 3-5 days!
The annoying thing is they haven't even opened the motor to see what has caused the issue and are just saying that its wear and tear!
I will never buy another Giant product and would advise anyone that enjoys riding in the uk in the winter in the wet weather to avoid a Giant emtb as the motors are not very well protected against water!
My mates have emtb's (different brands) they ride where and when I ride but they dont have motor bearing failure!
I sent an email to Giant explaining that for the last 12 months the bike has been used 4 or 5 times as I had to have some surgery and has meant that I've been unable to ride, this means that the bike has done approximately 1500miles in 12 months and the bearings have failed!
Not a happy camper!

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Before chiming in I talked to a Giant dealer and asked. Locally Giant has sent down a replacement unit and they have just swapped motors. Bike went in on a Wednesday and was picked up Friday for a weekend ride.

My own opinion, unless there is indication of misuse bearings are covered by warranty on most, if not all motors down here in NZ.

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
Before chiming in I talked to a Giant dealer and asked. Locally Giant has sent down a replacement unit and they have just swapped motors. Bike went in on a Wednesday and was picked up Friday for a weekend ride.

My own opinion, unless there is indication of misuse bearings are covered by warranty on most, if not all motors down here in NZ.
Hi Mate
Thanks for the reply, my bike has to be one of the best looked after bikes in the world possibly lol.

My Mrs says I pay more attention to my bike than I do her, lol probably true.
Its never seen a jet wash and after having issues with water getting into the electrics and making the bike turn on by itself etc it doesn't even see a hose pipe anymore!
And to say its wear and tear without even looking at the motor is just a joke!
I will keep you all posted but I will not let this one go! I intend to fight it all the way lol

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
This really doesn't sound like giant. My 2018 pwx was throwing an intermittent torque sensor error - they replaced the motor with a 2020 based on the stores uploaded error message - shipped a new ( better) one

Perhaps put your argument in writing and ask for a reply / explanation in writing?

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
Hi All
Just to keep you updated!
After being told that the bearings on the motor were wear and tear after only 12 months use I sent giant a lengthy email stating all the issues I've had with the bike and that it has only had 12 month's use etc etc.
After another 10 days of waiting (bike has been in the shop for over 3 weeks now) giant have ordered a new motor under warranty!
It should arrive in 7 to 10 days and then obviously fitted by the store, so I should have my bike back in the next 2 weeks.
Never give up!
I am still concerned that it will happen again but we'll see!
For now the peace has been restored lol.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi! How did you know the bearings were the problem? I mean... what symptons should we be aware of when thinking about bearing problems?

Thanks and congrats for the motor replacement!!!

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
Hi! How did you know the bearings were the problem? I mean... what symptons should we be aware of when thinking about bearing problems?

Thanks and congrats for the motor replacement!!!
Hi
The main tell is play in the main crank. If you hold both crank arms and move them from side to side, if you have bearing issues the crank arm and main axle will move, as in there will be excessive play from side to side!
I hope this helps!
Shaun

Rankbad

Oct 19, 2020
NZ
Anyone still interested in this subject - that being Giant PwX motor bearing failures/repairs?
I had a similar experience very recently and symptoms (cranks wobble badly grabbing both pedals + motor noisey). I'm in NZ and nobody is interested in fixing motors (any brand?) unless it's a warranty issue. To be fair, my 2019 SX 0 Pro has been ridden hard and any of my other bikes would have had new BB's twice by now, but I was left with no interest by LBS's, as they said (probably rightly) that the labour content would be too expensive. I would say none of of these local shops would have even been inside the cover of an e- motor?
Anyway, long story shortened, I've just replaced all the bearings and grease inside mine and it's working SWEET-AZ. Noxiller's suggestion to watch 'Performanceline Bearings' tutorial was great! Not quite the same bearing fitment (easier on the PW-X series) but enough similarities to get anyone with good fitting skills, to do it themselves. COST to me form UK - NZ$80
Cheers Performance Line Bearings for supplying said kit. Brilliant service
:)
Ps, If anyone is interested to do their own, I can post a series of pics mad during repair process, with attached notes??

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Anyone still interested in this subject - that being Giant PwX motor bearing failures/repairs?
I had a similar experience very recently and symptoms (cranks wobble badly grabbing both pedals + motor noisey). I'm in NZ and nobody is interested in fixing motors (any brand?) unless it's a warranty issue. To be fair, my 2019 SX 0 Pro has been ridden hard and any of my other bikes would have had new BB's twice by now, but I was left with no interest by LBS's, as they said (probably rightly) that the labour content would be too expensive. I would say none of of these local shops would have even been inside the cover of an e- motor?
Anyway, long story shortened, I've just replaced all the bearings and grease inside mine and it's working SWEET-AZ. Noxiller's suggestion to watch 'Performanceline Bearings' tutorial was great! Not quite the same bearing fitment (easier on the PW-X series) but enough similarities to get anyone with good fitting skills, to do it themselves. COST to me form UK - NZ$80
Ps, If anyone is interested to do their own, I can post a series of pics mad during repair process, with attached notes??
The notes would be awesome... I am planning on doing the same to my pw-x giant motor :D Thanks!!!!

Rankbad

Oct 19, 2020
NZ
Ok, I get my crap together and post something on Youtube or just write them directly here. Know how many pics I can attach to a conversation.....anyone?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
First up, Giant in NZ has always been slack with warranty. Now it is run from Australia I am told they are even worse. And yes, I doubt very many bike shops have done anything more than drop a motor and fit the replacement - hell, a lot of them wont even do that I am told and many make a stuff-up of it damaging electrical contacts. Have seen a couple where they had solder repairs done - not good.
My suggestion is to use someone like Greene Brothers - I have used them for more than 40 years for all sorts of electric motor repairs. If they can't source bits advised them that you can get a kit from @Bearing Man

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Oh - BTW

Greene Brothers are one of New Zealand’s top agents for servicing and repairing your Bosch power tools & equipment.

Mattnzl

Aug 5, 2020
NZ
@Rankbad - please please post some more info when you get time. I'm sure my 2019 Trance is heading the same way and after the battles myself & friends with Giant have had with NZ dealers (motor creaking, busted freehubs, evo display issues, random power offs etc.) I'm 100% sure they won't even look at it & I will need to sort myself.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.

I would love a tutorial if you have the time and inclination. I’ve had three warranty motors and will be doing this myself when the warranty expires some time soon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles