• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Sunglasses recommendations

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
Hello all, hope fully the brighter weather will soon be with and i need a pair of sunglasses, there are a lot out there all with different reviews but i would mainly like to know about the (photocramatic ) the ones that adjust to light as a lot of my riding is off the open tracks and down into the woods do these work?. Any advice welcome.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Not wanting to wreck my Oakleys or Ray-bans in an off, I bought a few different sunglasses from lbs, but all were pretty basic and fixed shade (if that’s the correct way of describing them).

Then a couple of years ago at the NEC cycle show I tried a pair of BZ Optics PHO Photochromic Glasses, Graphite, and haven’t looked back.

I wear them all the time now, great for stopping spray, mud and grit getting in your eyes when it’s wet and cloudy, and the sun, er, when it’s sunny. In sunny conditions the level of protection is perfect for me.

Despite getting covered in mud on numerous accasions they’re still scratch free. But in the event they do get scratched or broken the lenses are replaceable. As you’d probably expect they came with a hard case and microfibre cloth.

10/10

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not wanting to wear your expensive cycling specific glasses while cycling incase you damage them while cycling is a pretty funny concept.
Thanks for that! :ROFLMAO:
Good quality Photochromic and polarised Oakley copies are available online for about a tenner if you honestly think the styling looks nice and want an option that does exactly the same thing for around 8% of the cost. (some of the really cheap ones aren't all that well styled so unless you know what you're looking for it can be a bit of a lottery)
and... Yes .They're UV protective. All clear plastic is.

Photochromatic still generally shields a small percentage of light so even in dark woods when the lenses "look" clear you'll have slightly reduced light.

as above though something like Decathlon's own brand that are cheap and you can actually try on might be the best option.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Not wanting to wear your expensive cycling specific glasses while cycling incase you damage them while cycling is a pretty funny concept.
Thanks for that! :ROFLMAO:
Good quality Photochromic and polarised Oakley copies are available online for about a tenner if you honestly think the styling looks nice and want an option that does exactly the same thing for around 8% of the cost. (some of the really cheap ones aren't all that well styled so unless you know what you're looking for it can be a bit of a lottery)
and... Yes .They're UV protective. All clear plastic is.

Photochromatic still generally shields a small percentage of light so even in dark woods when the lenses "look" clear you'll have slightly reduced light.

as above though something like Decathlon's own brand that are cheap and you can actually try on might be the best option.
They weren’t cycle specific, hence the purchase of cycle specific from lbs.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I use some of the Adidas Vario lenses and they work well. I used to swap the lens from tinted to a clear one for night riding, but now I just keep the same lens in all the time.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have a pair of glasses with swappable lenses, and clip in optical glasses.
Frankly a bit of a pain in the butt. Swapping the lenses is always fiddly and takes too long.
And the clip in optical glasses are so difficult to clean when you sweat and it drips down between the glass layers.
I would also be interested in a pair of photochromatic optical glasses. Looked at the Oakely lenses. They would probably be perfect, but I need to play / win Lotto first.
Interested to see what others recommend.

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
I run Oakley Jawbreakers mtb edition, anything involving dense trees I fitted the clear lenses and for everything else the primz trail lenses. Super easy to swap them and Oakley lenses really are brilliant. I used them for 2 years...
until I had a over the bars and snapped one of the arms off.. gutted, no glasses would of survived that face plant I had, the lenses held up well though and didn't smash or crack

Eeh (bah gum) biker

Jul 5, 2018
Sheffield
I got my Oakley Jawbreaker clear black Iridium black photochromic last August from Sigma when they were on offer for £125 notes. I see they are £180 upwards now. I can't fault them as I use for both day and night cycling but no way though would I pay top whack for them.

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
I have a pair of glasses with swappable lenses, and clip in optical glasses.
Frankly a bit of a pain in the butt. Swapping the lenses is always fiddly and takes too long.
And the clip in optical glasses are so difficult to clean when you sweat and it drips down between the glass layers.
I would also be interested in a pair of photochromatic optical glasses. Looked at the Oakely lenses. They would probably be perfect, but I need to play / win Lotto first.
Interested to see what others recommend.
BZ Optics PHO Photochromic Glasses Graphite £67.99

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Price is good, But I need somathing with Optical lenses which seems to add a considerable dob of $$$ to the price.
They do have optical lenses on their website, but I didn’t look at how much they cost.

I’ve had a pair of these for a couple of years and find the fit, reaction time, and durabilty meets all my needs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles