• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Bike-glasses, any recommendations?

TINEOM1

Aug 22, 2018
Switzerland
Hi everyone,

I need some good bike-glasses for ride-outs on my new EMTB.

Price around 20-150 £, undarkened (for the evening-rides)...

Any suggestions from your side? :)

Thank you!

claytow

Jul 17, 2018
UK
I saw my mate in a pair of these and recently bought some myself with the yellow tint lenses. Absolutely brilliant, they don't steam up and they protect all around your eyes, where my more expensive Northwave and Oakley glasses still let muck fly up behind the glasses into your eyes and steam up. These stop the crap and stay clear. Although when it is raining they don't clear as well as regular cycling glasses. For the money I think they are brilliant.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have a pair of these from Decathlon, i too have given up on spending silly money on specs as i seem to regularly break, scratch and misplace them.

34 - Trail Running - TRAIL 560 PHOTO GREY LIME

They are photo chromatic and i wear them in all conditions, really well vented, good visibility when under the trees, and no issue is bright sun. Decathlon has some great specs that put a lot of higher priced brands to shame.

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 21.41.29.png

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Hancill are your funky mirrored Oakleys reactive lenses?

@R120 I like the look of those decathlon glasses, have you tried them? How quick do they react?
They are Oakley Flak 2.0

0OO9188__918806_330Afw920fh575.png

The lenses make everything look like HDR. I would prefer the Jawbreaker Photochromic though, both for the lenses and the face coverage. Mine still allow mud eyes! The lenses are a little too small.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Thats cool, I think I want more hdr! I really like the photochromic, particularly on high contrast days, bright sunshine and dark shadows means clear lenses and sunglasses are both wrong, photochromic changes fast enough for you not to notice.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I have a pair of these from Decathlon, i too have given up on spending silly money on specs as i seem to regularly break, scratch and misplace them.

34 - Trail Running - TRAIL 560 PHOTO GREY LIME

They are photo chromatic and i wear them in all conditions, really well vented, good visibility when under the trees, and no issue is bright sun. Decathlon has some great specs that put a lot of higher priced brands to shame.

View attachment 4479

That price is a nobrainer for me, instantly ordered - hope the photochromatic magic is fast enough for bikers :) I will report back ^^

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Please post a review when you have tried them! They look like such a great option compared to the £100-200 that the oakelys cost.

Sorry never got back to tyou on these - been riding them for 3 months now and all i can say is that they are excellent, super comfy, don't notice them when you are riding, don't steam up (for me at least) and work as advertised. I find a lot of cycling glasses sit too close to my face, and my eyebrows touch the lenses when blinking which bugs the hell out of me, these don't do that.

They take slightly longer to switch to being dark when hitting bright sun, than they do to go clear from dark. I have never found this an issue, or really noticed it except when i was specifically trying to get them to change colour.

Most important thing is that most of my riding is in woods and as such normal sunglasses don't cut it as block out too much light, never an issue with these, and never notice any problems when riding in the sun.

Highly recommended at the price.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Please post a review when you have tried them! They look like such a great option compared to the £100-200 that the oakelys cost.

Hey, back from holidays in Croatia and I've tested the new photo chromatic glasses from decathlon there - well they're not working in a way I supposed they are. I can't really see a big effect when switching from darker to sunny areas. They are transparent and good to use in the evening or in the shady forests and out in the sun they get a bit of a shade - but it's really just a tiny tiny amount, i can barely see it. I'll try to do some photos of it...
But, they're not that bad in the sun - riding bike in sunlight worked fine, they're just not "sunglasses" like I know them. So if there's bright sunlight dazzling your eyes, they won't block it.
Disclaimer: This is just a short impression of a couple bike trips I did with them, nothing scientific :)

Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles