Stereo hybrid 160 replacement headset

Oldrider

Jan 26, 2021
Adelaide
Just tried to place an order and jesus christ the shipping to Australia 300pound FT. Any other options out there Gents.
I recently bought the Cane Creek 40 series Top and Bottom sets mentioned by MrPeaski from dirtworks in Australia for my wife's Cube 140. Bottom Assy 40-Series ZeroStack 56mm 1.5" Crown Race ZS56/40 Black (BAA0090K) - Cane Creek Top Assy 40-Series ZeroStack 56mm 1-1/8" ZS56/28.6 Short Top Black (BAA0912K) - Cane Creek Total cost including freight was $170 AUD, although they may be slightly more expensive now as I purchased when they had a sale. Hope this helps.

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
I recently bought the Cane Creek 40 series Top and Bottom sets mentioned by MrPeaski from dirtworks in Australia for my wife's Cube 140. Bottom Assy 40-Series ZeroStack 56mm 1.5" Crown Race ZS56/40 Black (BAA0090K) - Cane Creek Top Assy 40-Series ZeroStack 56mm 1-1/8" ZS56/28.6 Short Top Black (BAA0912K) - Cane Creek Total cost including freight was $170 AUD, although they may be slightly more expensive now as I purchased when they had a sale. Hope this helps.
How'd you go with the install, they push out and in for you or tools were required?

Oldrider

Jan 26, 2021
Adelaide
How'd you go with the install, they push out and in for you or tools were required?
Haven't installed them yet but I'm going to have a go tomorrow. I intend to proceed as MrPeaski did in post #12 in this thread. Only thing is the Cane Creek crown race doesn't have a split in it, so it will probably take some even careful tapping and some patience. For a home made headset press you can just use a long threaded bolt & nut with appropriate sized washers. This you tube vid will give you the idea You may not even need the press. I'll let you know how I go regardless if it's a success or disaster.

Oldrider

Jan 26, 2021
Adelaide
Haven't installed them yet but I'm going to have a go tomorrow. I intend to proceed as MrPeaski did in post #12 in this thread. Only thing is the Cane Creek crown race doesn't have a split in it, so it will probably take some even careful tapping and some patience. For a home made headset press you can just use a long threaded bolt & nut with appropriate sized washers. This you tube vid will give you the idea You may not even need the press. I'll let you know how I go regardless if it's a success or disaster.
I've successfuly fitted the Cane Creek headset and it's a vast improvement on the stock FSA. FYI Daboss The old cups drifted out of the frame fairly easily and the new cups installed easily using my variation of Ozcycle's headset press. The new crown race installed relatively easily using MrPeaski's suggested home-made crown race setter. A bit more force was required than I imagined to get the crown race seated. The biggest challenge was removing the old crown race. This could be a problem for those with little or no mechanical experience or without the correct type of tool (a thin bearing remover). The crown race is steel but the fork crown is aluminium so it would be easy to damage the fork crown using a less sophisticated tool (for example the blade of a screwdriver) to remove it. Bottom line is without 50 years of mechanical background and the tools I've collected over the same time, it would have been a job for the lbs.
headset copy.jpg

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
I've successfuly fitted the Cane Creek headset and it's a vast improvement on the stock FSA. FYI Daboss The old cups drifted out of the frame fairly easily and the new cups installed easily using my variation of Ozcycle's headset press. The new crown race installed relatively easily using MrPeaski's suggested home-made crown race setter. A bit more force was required than I imagined to get the crown race seated. The biggest challenge was removing the old crown race. This could be a problem for those with little or no mechanical experience or without the correct type of tool (a thin bearing remover). The crown race is steel but the fork crown is aluminium so it would be easy to damage the fork crown using a less sophisticated tool (for example the blade of a screwdriver) to remove it. Bottom line is without 50 years of mechanical background and the tools I've collected over the same time, it would have been a job for the lbs. View attachment 51205
looks heaps better too, Took mine apart today and the top bearing seems to spin a little more free then the bottom bearing. so yeah I'll def be changing mine out for the one you've fitted. cheers again mate.

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
I've successfuly fitted the Cane Creek headset and it's a vast improvement on the stock FSA. FYI Daboss The old cups drifted out of the frame fairly easily and the new cups installed easily using my variation of Ozcycle's headset press. The new crown race installed relatively easily using MrPeaski's suggested home-made crown race setter. A bit more force was required than I imagined to get the crown race seated. The biggest challenge was removing the old crown race. This could be a problem for those with little or no mechanical experience or without the correct type of tool (a thin bearing remover). The crown race is steel but the fork crown is aluminium so it would be easy to damage the fork crown using a less sophisticated tool (for example the blade of a screwdriver) to remove it. Bottom line is without 50 years of mechanical background and the tools I've collected over the same time, it would have been a job for the lbs. View attachment 51205
Which crown race did you go with from cane Creek? I'm assuming it comes with the bottom set correct?

Last edited:

SteveCube

Apr 9, 2021
Uk
Hi

I have a 2020 stereo hybrid 140 hpc. I have read through some of these comments. I have a creaking headset. Can someone please advise me the part numbers that I should be buying for the superstar components head set parts.
Thanks in advance

samfiesta

Jun 10, 2020
Ramsbottom Bury
Hi Guys

I have a 2021 Action Team 160 with the integrated cable routing through the headset. This in my opinion is crap as its made from plastic and on a heavy E-bike is a shambles, but I digress. I have seen talk of the Superstar components set up converting it to a standard frame routing option however they are out of stock for 4-8 weeks apparently.
Can you guys point me in the direction of an alternative, there are so many makes with their own abbreviations its sending me crazy even my LBS is at a loss!!!

Current set up : ACROS AZF-1034, ICR (Integrated Cable Routing), Top Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (ZS 56mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (ZS 56mm)

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Have a look at my earlier post #30 which lists the Cane Creek 40 series parts, but they will be expensive.
Biggest issue at the moment is availability.

If the bearings are ok, but its the cables going through the headset that are your issue, I'd just re route outside and through the frame like the 2020 version
There's a thread here for another AT owner wanting to do the same.

samfiesta

Jun 10, 2020
Ramsbottom Bury
Have a look at my earlier post #30 which lists the Cane Creek 40 series parts, but they will be expensive.
Biggest issue at the moment is availability.

If the bearings are ok, but its the cables going through the headset that are your issue, I'd just re route outside and through the frame like the 2020 version
There's a thread here for another AT owner wanting to do the same.
Thanks for that (y)

like you say, availability is going to be the ball ache. Il just keep browsing the manufacturers and see what I come across. Will post link if I find any in stock.

thanks

cl0nd0n

Jun 25, 2021
Surrey Hills, UK
For anyone that was after replacement headsets - the Superstar Components ones are now back available for pre-order for early August! Type 5 + Type E

Super Mario

Aug 4, 2021
France
Hi everyone, I'm reaching out to you after seeing many problems on Cube headsets and bearings. I got a Cube Stéréo 170 2020 (sorry not ebike), and I've broken my plastic headset on a jump. Therefore, i want to change it, and get an aluminium one if possible! The problem is, those headset are a very particular ones with 44.9 top diameter, and 55.9 bottom one (still the classic 1'1/2, 1'1/8 for the fork tube), plus they have 2 little "stops" each! I've search, but nobody seems to have the top part! But i can see here that some of you got an answer to those problems! Could you point me in the right direction to find these, i'm having hope now thanks to you!
Sorry if my english isn't perfect, and thank you!

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
@Super Mario
Can't seem to find your bikes page on Cubes site at the moment, but having a dig around this seems to be the original as fitted
from the factory.
Although the original factory version says 0.6 adjustment where this is 0.4

There are 3 sizes depending on the length of your head tube, 103mm, 113mm, 133mm so you'd need to pick the correct one from the drop down list.

Maybe useful :)

Super Mario

Aug 4, 2021
France
@MrPeaski
Yeah it is, thoses are the good ones i think, but the problem is they ran out of the size i need (103mm), and even though, they still sell those same plastic ones for 99€! I want to get aluminium headset if possible as I broke the plastic ones within 25 days of riding! I've seen few people talking about canecreek or superstar (or others??), but i would like to know if i can put some on my bike too, and if the stops are important or not! Also apparentlly the main difference between the lenght (103-113-133mm) are the angles. Could it be the difference 0.6 vs 0.4 that you mentionned? And what does it do?

Thanks

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
@Super Mario
From looking at the pictures of the headset linked above, the frame looks like it needs a couple of holes/notches for the cups to line up properly.
The 0.6 or 0.4 of adjustment is to the head angle, giving you the choice of 2. one will be steeper/slacker than the other.

You could possibly fit a regular straight headset and in theory it would be in the middle of the possible adjustment range but to get the best advice as to sizes of the top/bottom cups and bearings, a visit to your local bike shop would be a good idea

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles