Sherwood Pines off-piste Sun 22nd Sep

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
For those of you who have been to Pines and done the regular trails, you won't see much you recognise. A few of you have been with me off-piste before and have seen some of the more interesting and stretching stuff there is. My buddy and I have found some more and at least one is proper scary (to us two at least). We have cleared out the brambles and the gorse, that was "stopping" us riding down it, but we still haven't ridden it clean from top to bottom. :giggle:

Today we put together a circuit that is about 18 miles long and we both believe that you will love it. The vast majority of the obstacles are avoidable, all are roll-able. The "proper scary" one is also roll-able, but unavoidable, so if you don't fancy it, you can do what we did - walked the bike down the worst bits! I'm hoping that the camaraderie of many supportive riding buddies will give me a skills boost! :)

Meet at 10am ready to ride Sun 22nd Sep at the end of Eakring Road East just before it turns to sand. Parking here is free instead of £6 for the Pines car park, but there is no security, no toilets, no cafe. (My buddy parks there all the time).
Proper co-ordinates will be supplied as soon as I know what they are (see note below).

Note: See post#8 for the location.

Note: There are now two meeting points. see post #17

Last edited:

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I was at the pines today with my wife and was discussing this very subject, where to park and what else there was to ride.

I might be up for this, if I am still I. One piece after the FOD ride Saturday.

Demo

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Unfortunately, I'm holiday shopping with the boss that day. Yaaaay! :confused:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Personally, I prefer to meet in the Sherwood Pines car park. It is secure, serviced with loos, cafe and friendly bike shop that also does lots of servicing. It is £6 for all day; you can pay less but too short for the guided ride I've got planned. My view is that the £6 is a contribution to the trail upkeep and new features that keep appearing. Long sections of the red and blue is now completely new and recently opened. In addition, the Forest England rangers provide an emergency service if you get injured where they can get to you. I've never needed it but a mate of mine did an OTB on to rock and he was not a pretty sight! They strapped him onto a spinal board and took him back to their offices to meet the ambulance.
But £6 is £6 and I recognise that many object to spending it if they can see a way to avoid it. This will be the first time that I have run a Pines guided ride starting from outside the Sherwood Pines area.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That looks nice! I reckon it might be that place NE of the meeting point. I had no idea it was there until I first looked on Google Earth.
Damn .. did I give the wrong location ? I thought that was matched to your three words and google earth link .. I'll have another look later .. doh ..

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Personally, I prefer to meet in the Sherwood Pines car park. It is secure, serviced with loos, cafe and friendly bike shop that also does lots of servicing. It is £6 for all day; you can pay less but too short for the guided ride I've got planned. My view is that the £6 is a contribution to the trail upkeep and new features that keep appearing. Long sections of the red and blue is now completely new and recently opened. In addition, the Forest England rangers provide an emergency service if you get injured where they can get to you. I've never needed it but a mate of mine did an OTB on to rock and he was not a pretty sight! They strapped him onto a spinal board and took him back to their offices to meet the ambulance.
But £6 is £6 and I recognise that many object to spending it if they can see a way to avoid it. This will be the first time that I have run a Pines guided ride starting from outside the Sherwood Pines area.

I'm with you on that one Steve. I'm happier paying the £6 and feeling my car is relatively safe and that I'm contributing to the facilities provided rather than leave it in some secluded woodland. We are after all only a few miles from Clipstone. OMG! there I go again, just one glass of wine and I'm risking offending half of Nottinghamshire.

I would love to be shown a few new routes around the area and will hopefully be able to join you, but I won't be on the Focus as it's buggered. Will wait and see how the arrangements develop.

Maybe we could park where we like and have an easily identifiable and mutually convenient rendezvous point?

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Using the GPS coordinates I went to the proposed meeting point (it works!). The approach is a down a long narrow road that is not maintained and with few passing places. The parking up place is OK, but isolated. I don't like it, I'm concerned that my tow-bar rack might not be there when I get back. And of course I already have a pre-paid pass for the car park.
@myapes and I have had a chat and we have agreed that he will meet those that want to use the Eakring Road location and bring them to the Pines cafe veranda for 10am. Meet ready to ride at 09:50.

Those with a pass or prefer the Pines car park, meet ready to ride at 10:am by the cafe veranda.
Here is the post code for Pines: NG21 9JL

For those preferring the free parking: See post # 8 for the directions.
It is 1.4 miles from Eakring Rd to the cafe and really does take only 5 mins - I did it today to check. Ride to the end of Eakring Rd just before where it turns to sand and then turn right, go past the gate and pedal in a straight line for one mile. You will see the World War 1 exhibition on your left. Another 100 yards or so and you will come to a cross roads. Go over the cross roads and after a few yards there is a gravelled path going off to the right at 45 degrees. Follow that path until it splits at another cross roads. The right turn and the straight ahead pass around either side of a large field, go right and keep the field on your left. The path brings you to the cafe.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The weather forecast is good and is stable for a week either side, so even with the tendency for the weather to drift forwards or backwards, it will still be 20-22 degC and partly cloudy.

steve06

Feb 26, 2019
uk
think i can make this...ill park in pines, guys you can park at Vickers water clipstone if you dont want to park in Pines, its free but there is a box for contributions, also a Cafe, Rumbles, its a short off road run into pines from the car park

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles