Schwalbe Eddy Current

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Right so I have the tyres and whilst they were an absolute **** to fit they are now on. The front is pumped up and seems to be holding pressure (ill check it tomorrow and chuck in some sealant). The rear however will not hold pressure, air seems to be rushing out of the valve where the round bolt thing is (I'm sure there's a technical name). I have tried loosening it and tightening it, I have even tried wiggling the valve but nothing stops the air coming out. Any ideas or is it new valve time?

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Right so I have the tyres and whilst they were an absolute **** to fit they are now on. The front is pumped up and seems to be holding pressure (ill check it tomorrow and chuck in some sealant). The rear however will not hold pressure, air seems to be rushing out of the valve where the round bolt thing is (I'm sure there's a technical name). I have tried loosening it and tightening it, I have even tried wiggling the valve but nothing stops the air coming out. Any ideas or is it new valve time?
To make it worse I have just noticed that the front and rear have the orange stripe on different sides. Weirdly the rear tyre looks like it is leaning to one side, grip wise I mean.

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
To make it worse I have just noticed that the front and rear have the orange stripe on different sides. Weirdly the rear tyre looks like it is leaning to one side, grip wise I mean.

My eddy rear didnt have a direction indicator on it. Not that i could see. I just matched the orange stripe to the same as my magic mary (which does have a direction). The stripe was on the none drive side.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
My eddy rear didnt have a direction indicator on it. Not that i could see. I just matched the orange stripe to the same as my magic mary (which does have a direction). The stripe was on the none drive side.
It’s my fault it’s on the wrong way.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@jonpress : Wrap some plumber's tape (PTFE tape, available from all DIY stores) around the base of the tubeless valve, 3-4 layers should do it. Then tap the valve into the rim with a small hammer or a pair of pliers, tighten the lock ring. I use pliers to tighten it, but then I carry some with me in my pack, so I will be able to undo it if required.

The ptfe tape will stop most if not all of the air leak and the sealant will stop anything left. :)

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
So we did a test today with 7 riders. 2 where woman.
7-0. On the results.
27.5x2.8 eddy in rear with 29x2.6 Mary up front. Soft adix both front and rear.
On 3 bikes. 160-160 race, 180. And another brand bike lol.
Tires we tested, 2.6 DHF front, 2.6 DHR2 rear, 2.8 DHR2, 2.6DHF WR on rear. 2.6 Hans Damf, 2.4 front Eddie, 2.6 front Eddie.
On 27-30-32-35-36.5 front rims
32-34-36-40 rear rims.
What i found interesting.
All woman liked the 35-40 width rim combo and all men liked 36.5-43 combo.
The woman said the 35-40 combo was little smoother.
Men said 36.6-43 combo was more ridged in turns and more predictable in chunk. Better corner grip and speed through the turns.
Less tire roll.

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
10 mins into the 2nd ride on my new eMTB, I blew the sidewall in the DHR II that came spec with my Merida 900e (Tyre was set up tubeless with a Huck Norris insert). Looking around, it was difficult to find 2.8 tyres with stronger sidewalls so looked for the Schwalbe's. I'm 3 rides in now on a set of Eddy Current's (27.5) front and rear. They run great! They're stiff as heck to get on but with a little elbow grease they were good to go.

I can't comment on longevity yet but as far as quality and performance go, I can definitely give them a thumbs up!

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
Summer about done here in New Zealand and the trails starting to get quite wet. My Maxxis Rekon Rear was getting pretty worn so replaced it on Saturday with a Eddy Current (27.5 x 2.8). Done 2 rides so far over very mixed terrain. 55kms and 25kms. this thing is way more grippy on the trails than the Rekon and far more suitable going into winter. Will probably do the front soon and investigating Kenda Nevagal II, any thoughts on that. Both the EC and the Nevegal II can be found for about half the price of a Maxxis DHF or DHR here.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
I have the current front and rear, and although heavy - I like them a lot. They give me much more confidence than the butcher 2.8 that came with the bike. Also tubeless setup was quite easy.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Not
How does a 2.8 Eddy compare to a 2.8 Minion (DHF or DHR2), size-wise, and performance on loose over hardpack?
Not even close, Eddie has more grip everywhere, better ride and slightly slower rolling. On hard surface with loose on top there isn’t a fire that will touch it.
Rode my ebike at seaotter classic in the DH track unrestricted in a couple pre runs with 29x2.6 Mary up front and 27.5x 2.8 Eddie rear and the times where rediculous
For the race without battery i had to take Eddie off the rear and go with a super gravity Hans D as bike was to slow rolling with added motor drag and no E.
The coarse was dry powdery, sandy, blue groove, loose over hard and hiro dirt.

GhostHammerX

Apr 1, 2019
San Tan Valley, AZ
Not

Not even close, Eddie has more grip everywhere, better ride and slightly slower rolling. On hard surface with loose on top there isn’t a fire that will touch it.
Rode my ebike at seaotter classic in the DH track unrestricted in a couple pre runs with 29x2.6 Mary up front and 27.5x 2.8 Eddie rear and the times where rediculous
For the race without battery i had to take Eddie off the rear and go with a super gravity Hans D as bike was to slow rolling with added motor drag and no E.
The coarse was dry powdery, sandy, blue groove, loose over hard and hiro dirt.
Nice to know! Did you ever run an Eddie up front, or just the Mary? Also, how do the sizes compare between the Minion and the Eddie?

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Eddie is pretty true to size advertised.
My2.4 measures 2.38 on a 30 internal
My 2.6 measures 2.603 on a 36 internal.

Eddie up front is awkward. I can’t put my finger on it. Just leaves me guessing, it has never done anything bad exp in mud, it’s horrible in mud.
I rode the 2.4 in the ebike race at seaotter and we had some good fast off camber fast turns in a mix of loose and grasssy soil and i never lost the front, and i pushed it pretty hard.
I like it better then DHF, but not a Mary!

First pic is a 2.6 wt DHF ON A 40 internal
Next to Eddie on a 43 internal
Second pic
2.6 Mary on a 36.5 internal, next to it is a 2.5 DHF ON A 35 internal.
Outside is a 2.4 Eddie on 32 internal
Third pic.
2.8 Eddie on bike on a 43 internal
Next is 2.8 DHF ON A 34 internal
Outside is a 2.6 DHF-wt on a 40 internal
Last pic is a 2.8 Eddie on bike holding 2.8 DHR 2.8 on 36 internal
Beside it is 2.6- DHF WT ON 40
I actually like the DHF better as a rear then a front and over DHR2 on rear.
Not a fan of the minion upnfront

EF82370C-7464-405F-ADC3-6B3D37BC2863.jpeg

036EB651-ABC8-4CF3-B36B-2BF22FD40214.jpeg

89605384-E149-4D41-824A-F2E75043CD91.jpeg

DFCF1967-5F0B-40F5-AE3F-4CB1F35DBEDD.jpeg

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Eddie is pretty true to size advertised.
My2.4 measures 2.38 on a 30 internal
My 2.6 measures 2.603 on a 36 internal.

Eddie up front is awkward. I can’t put my finger on it. Just leaves me guessing, it has never done anything bad exp in mud, it’s horrible in mud.
I rode the 2.4 in the ebike race at seaotter and we had some good fast off camber fast turns in a mix of loose and grasssy soil and i never lost the front, and i pushed it pretty hard.
I like it better then DHF, but not a Mary!

First pic is a 2.6 wt DHF ON A 40 internal
Next to Eddie on a 43 internal
Second pic
2.6 Mary on a 36.5 internal, next to it is a 2.5 DHF ON A 35 internal.
Outside is a 2.4 Eddie on 32 internal
Third pic.
2.8 Eddie on bike on a 43 internal
Next is 2.8 DHF ON A 34 internal
Outside is a 2.6 DHF-wt on a 40 internal

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Thanks for the excellent write up on tires, tim. Looking for advice about my trail conditions which are very different than yours, here in Kona Hawaii. Almost nightly tropical showers dampen the trails with extreme slippery off camber roots and rocks. The minions up front have been the best tires I have tried so far and I really like them in the rear on my 2018 Levo, 49.9 pounds.
The closest your trail conditions in California probably come to mine would be in wet muddy greasy off camber trails. I take it you prefer the Magic Mary in these conditions upfront and DHF in the rear. MM is just too heavy for my front tire.
I run carbon 30 mm ID rims front and rear. I am a light weight at 145 pounds and cannot tolerate a heavy front wheel on fast down hills. Bike simply not flickable with a heavy front wheel (ha ha probably not enough upper body strength). Have been running a 2.5 DHF WT on front, was planning on switching to the 2.4 DHR II. Have you compared these two tires for the front in my type of slick conditions and if so which of these two tires would you personally prefer for my trail conditions? Thanks, Jeff.

Randall_Flagg

Apr 29, 2018
Gnarsville, Switzerland
I have just ordered a pair for my Kenevo, the Nobby Nic’s and Butchers are just too unpredictable when they let go and the sidewall’s are too flimsy for my riding style.

I’m hoping these will be all I hope them to be! ?

Cheers
Ben

Pat2203

Sep 15, 2018
Guisborough
I have for this winter on modraker eve usher carbon-

27.5 Front 2.6 Schwalbe hillbilly
27.5 Rear 2.8 Schwalbe Eddy current

brilliant rear grip and front is unreal to be fair
Previously running MAXXIS front and rear lots of slip in the mud on the rear

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
My plastic levers are just bending on this last section. I just can’t do it. Far out! These Bont wheels have a ridiculously shallow center rim channel which probably explains it.

8617B6B3-49D3-45F8-A20B-3A26DA1518A2.jpeg

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Today was day 1 with the wild up front. I am little off the pace with my holiday belly and slacking a bit on riding. today’s conditions where a mix of wet and little mud. Slippery rock, some loose wet sand and wet rocks. I’m little off with it up front as far as comfort. It has a very different feel then magic Mary and i need little more time to get acquainted. but it’s showing some promise. It’s def faster rolling then the 2.6 Mary in soft compound. I’m licking it at first with slightly less pressure then i run Mary at. But i did a lot of runs today And my times are solid on all of them even though I’m far from race shape and been slacking lately.

F6CEC842-F7B1-4575-A91F-00EE18BECDCC.png

6E4E6CD6-1F7F-43EE-87EA-12CAB19EE063.png

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
I broke two levers getting mine on, try this, take three spring clamps image_20427.jpg
get the tyre on as far as possible like in your photo and put one clamp each side clamping the tyre together.
Lever a bit more of the tyre on close to one of the clamps and put the third clamp on.
Take the first clamp off (nearest the third clamp) and repeat till the tyre goes on.
Pump it up and enjoy the pop as it seats.
Then take it off again cause you forgot to put the sealant in:)

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Just one guy's opinion on Eddy Current 2.8 27.5 in the rear...have found the tire to be so big and so slow and vague on trail that I took it off. 2.8 Minion dhr EXO+ that came on bike had much more feel on trail but wore out in a couple of months and allowed too many dings to the rim. Considered another Minion but adding cushcore but settled on Michelin Ewild 2.6 which is very similar to Minion 2.8 but heavier duty casing and has great on trail feel to it. May try eddy again in 2.6 when available for rear. Can't bring myself to run a 1200g+ "E" rated front, I'm just not hitting anything hard enough to justify the extra weight, I get occasional rim pinging on my front with Minion DHF EXO 2.6 but have not damaged front rim yet.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Just one guy's opinion on Eddy Current 2.8 27.5 in the rear...have found the tire to be so big and so slow and vague on trail that I took it off. 2.8 Minion dhr EXO+ that came on bike had much more feel on trail but wore out in a couple of months and allowed too many dings to the rim. Considered another Minion but adding cushcore but settled on Michelin Ewild 2.6 which is very similar to Minion 2.8 but heavier duty casing and has great on trail feel to it. May try eddy again in 2.6 when available for rear. Can't bring myself to run a 1200g+ "E" rated front, I'm just not hitting anything hard enough to justify the extra weight, I get occasional rim pinging on my front with Minion DHF EXO 2.6 but have not damaged front rim yet.
I have both the 2.4 and 2.6 Eddy front and don’t care for either, to me there a slow rolling heavy DHF. AND JUST as unpredictable as a DHF

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
I’m starting to think that Bontrager wheels are not compatible with these. I have the bead at the lowest point in the rim, and am using the valve-last method. Check this out!

A65E4FE9-402C-4789-B06A-1A38E0EE1E56.jpeg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Beads will stretch over time. I guess you have to get it on to stretch though. Id put it in the oven in low heat then use soapy water and moto tire levers(be careful not to damage the rim inner wall with moto levers). Ive put rims on and off a few times that way until it was easy enough to get a tube in. Ride with a tube for a couple weeks and the bead stretches then do my ghetto tubeless setup. I dont have an oven so left them cook in the sun. Id use an oven if i had one

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles